Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

Also im a guy who hates drama and lolo kolohe punks. So this is why i don't post my location but if you take the time to know me then you will know where i reside.

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I come on here and learn new things from you guys everyday.
+1. I think I'm not classified as an "Other", but I do like that Hawaiian by Heart said in this post.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Just an observation...there are benefits to not listing one's location. Hawai'i is really small townish and you often run into neighbors and acquaintances. Heck, it is easy to run into the same people you don't know repeated times during the course of a day. Many folks are related and there is a lot of pride in family as well as Hawaiian pride. Some of the comments made on this forum, while exceptionally beneficial and helpful to newcomers unfamiliar with Hawaiian culture and living, might not be enthusiastically appreciated by local residents....who might occasionally be reading this forum and be able to put two-plus-two together.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:18 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Talking If it shows up on "New Posts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I have been posting here for over two years now and reading this forum even longer. I have noticed that there are some who live in Hawaii and give great advice. There are some that are planning to move to Hawaii and ask some very good questions. There are some that have had a dream about living in Hawaii and come to find out what the chances are that their dream could come true. Then there are, the Others. People who don't live in Hawaii and don't seem to be seriously planning to move to Hawaii, yet they regularly post here. I am not judging whether they should or not. However, I am wondering, what motivates them to post here?

If you are one of the Others, I am curious to know, why do you come and post on this forum?
If I have anything constructive to add I might comment, otherwise I just lurk. But since you asked, I just posted in the Hawaii forum since I saw it on "New Posts". LOL

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,454 times
I think convextech is on to something:
The word 'Hawai'i' in Active threads from around the forum will attract more posters then say, 'foot jewelry issues'. Probably the keyword 'Hawai'i' is therefore also more shown in the rotation.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:07 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
I think convextech is on to something:
The word 'Hawai'i' in Active threads from around the forum will attract more posters then say, 'foot jewelry issues'. Probably the keyword 'Hawai'i' is therefore also more shown in the rotation.
I do notice some particularly active posters, who do 'hit-and-runs' in that way. They see it active, they make a hit, and they never come back to the thread again as a follow-up.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM

217 posts, read 640,278 times
I'm an "other" - I don't post much - when I do it is usually a question about vacationing because I have vacationed in Oahu. and yes, I am a "dreamer" too - nothing I'd like better than to cash in my 401K and go to Honolulu. And so when I'm lurking, I'm always hoping someone will say - hey we need a project engineer - and then I can apply for the job and miraculously get to move to Hawaii!
I lurk a lot because after being on this forum for years I feel like I know the regulars - and frankly, it amuses me. a LOT! Also, when you guys "talk down" the dreamers, it helps me to stay put... and work towards that retirement, maybe THEN I can get there!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Dreamers and linkers are always welcome! (good luck with your planning, Kixette)

The "others" that I don't care for are the ones who give out advice as if they live in Hawaii and the people seeking information believe what these "others" erroneously pass on as fact.

Case in point, although not word for word, but someone recently was inquiring about Waikaloa Village and one of the "others" told her that it is just a big resort area full of rich tourists. NOT! That's the Waikaloa resort, which is entirely different from Waikaloa Village. If you are going to give advice to those seeking information, at least have some clue as to what you are talking about!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Dreamers and linkers are always welcome! (good luck with your planning, Kixette)

The "others" that I don't care for are the ones who give out advice as if they live in Hawaii and the people seeking information believe what these "others" erroneously pass on as fact.

Case in point, although not word for word, but someone recently was inquiring about Waikaloa Village and one of the "others" told her that it is just a big resort area full of rich tourists. NOT! That's the Waikaloa resort, which is entirely different from Waikaloa Village. If you are going to give advice to those seeking information, at least have some clue as to what you are talking about!
Well duh thats common sense, i agree 100% with you. I thought this issue was like "i live here for x years so im more local and my opinions mean more" garbage. Mind you i do respect locals who have put there time in and know costs, culture, customs, langs etc of Hawai'i.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
The "others" that I don't care for are the ones who give out advice as if they live in Hawaii and the people seeking information believe what these "others" erroneously pass on as fact. Case in point, although not word for word, but someone recently was inquiring about Waikaloa Village and one of the "others" told her that it is just a big resort area full of rich tourists. NOT!
Another example is when trying to compare school district systems on the mainland to our state-wide Hawaii DOE/BOE system, and the incorrect assumption that our's is run in the same manner as a community based school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: