Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:00 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yes, I have a question: I'm curious, which places are better to live in the South Pacific?
Although this is the Great Information (and misinformation) Highway (Internet) - in the end, a question so general as yours can only be answered with a big, It Depends!.

I know Howard County. If I asked you the same question how would you answer? In fact, I wouldn't live in Howard County, I lived in D.C. D.C. was a better fit for me at the time.

These things depend on many different factors, money being the most major, imo. If you don't have money you need to bring something else to the table, skill, resourcefulness, determination and a through understanding of where you're going. In addition, since I'm now old and looking back . . .reflecting, I'd mention, you need to know yourself and find your niche, whatever it is.

For example, at one time, friends were living in Santa Fe, N.M. It's an expensive place to live, all things considered, and they were working two and three jobs just to live there. Now that's a little crazy in my book. I always figured we only get so many trips around the Sun before our run is done - life is to be enjoyed, is it not? Why live somewhere you don't like and why beat yourself to death trying to live somewhere you don't "fit."

https://nomadlist.com/#c=chiang-mai-thailand&t=details

To answer your question with specificity:

Vanuatu

Tioman Island

Gili Islands

Palawan, Philippines (El Nido)

Nha Trang, Vietnam

In closing and still reflecting I'll add; sometimes I was asked "how did you do that?" Knowing I could never explain that in terms they could understand I said "One day I opened the door and walked out." That's the long and short of it. It's an insecure world, I never gave much thought to security after Nam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 12:22 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Although this is the Great Information (and misinformation) Highway (Internet) - in the end, a question so general as yours can only be answered with a big, It Depends!.

I know Howard County. If I asked you the same question how would you answer? In fact, I wouldn't live in Howard County, I lived in D.C. D.C. was a better fit for me at the time.
Your point is valid and well taken. Without knowing anything about me or what I might be looking for, "it depends" is about as good an answer as any. If you were to ask me that question, I would want to know what you're used to, and what you're looking for.

In any case, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not planning on moving to the South Pacific, now or ever. I was more curious from the standpoint of if I ever want to take a vacation to that region, where would be the most pleasant, relaxing place to go. I love Hawaii. I've been there four times, with a fifth trip already booked. But would I love living there? I don't know, but I kind of suspect that I wouldn't. In general, I don't think island life is for me.

Anyway, I do appreciate your response.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBob2010 View Post
I have heard nothing bad about Kona. My best friend lived there and said that she would move back in a heartbeat if her profession allowed her too. The forums on this website are awesome and very educational. I am retired and always wanted to relocate to New Zealand, but reading various comments in that regard, the cons far outweighed the pros. For example, I found that non native retires moving to New Zealand cannot gain permanent residency and must leave every five months and can return after six months and one day away. I encourage you to view as many comments as you can and Google on the countries (or communities) you might be wanting to relocate to. Check the imigration and tax laws as well. Like myself, you'll be glad you did!
Note some of that changed in 2010:

Search Expat Info Desk : Expat Info Desk

For what it's worth, with regard to visa's and getting permanent residency successfully. Almost anywhere, and particularly the remote and narrow corners of the world, fall into what I call the "Workaround" and "Roundabout" policies. There's nothing illegal about it. It's a matter of "special dispensation" It's not fighting through the government bureaucracy but finding your "Workaround."

I used to buy your Whidbey Island Loganberry Liqueur by the case. . .it's good for rust!!!

Rust

Old 04-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Your point is valid and well taken. Without knowing anything about me or what I might be looking for, "it depends" is about as good an answer as any. If you were to ask me that question, I would want to know what you're used to, and what you're looking for.

In any case, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not planning on moving to the South Pacific, now or ever. I was more curious from the standpoint of if I ever want to take a vacation to that region, where would be the most pleasant, relaxing place to go. I love Hawaii. I've been there four times, with a fifth trip already booked. But would I love living there? I don't know, but I kind of suspect that I wouldn't. In general, I don't think island life is for me.

Anyway, I do appreciate your response.
No es nada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: