Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:14 PM

82 posts, read 479,679 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to chime in and say best of luck. I grew up in Tacoma/University Place and have been living in Honolulu for the last couple years. Did a couple seasons at the Puyallup fair pulling taffy for a family friend. Good times. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 AM

74 posts, read 166,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HibbityDibbity View Post
Just wanted to chime in and say best of luck. I grew up in Tacoma/University Place and have been living in Honolulu for the last couple years. Did a couple seasons at the Puyallup fair pulling taffy for a family friend. Good times. Good luck!

Thanks. We live about a mile from the fair grounds in old Puyallup (not on South Hill). My daughter attended college at UPS. She worked at the fair a few times too. Maybe you know where Destination Harley-Davidson is--that's where I work.My wife is an LPN at Good Samaritan Hospital (for the last 30+ years).

Oh, and our bid on the house was accepted.

Jon in Puyallup

Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,048,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
Thanks. We live about a mile from the fair grounds in old Puyallup (not on South Hill). My daughter attended college at UPS. She worked at the fair a few times too. Maybe you know where Destination Harley-Davidson is--that's where I work.My wife is an LPN at Good Samaritan Hospital (for the last 30+ years).

Oh, and our bid on the house was accepted.

Jon in Puyallup
Congrats I hope all works out well.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,953,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
Well, the end result is that we put a bid in on a house in HPP, and are doing the back and forth bid and counter bid thing. The idea is, if we buy it, to rent it out short term to vacationers for a few years, and come over and stay there ourselves for vacations when we can.
There is a very helpful Yahoo Group, populated mostly by Vacation Rental owners (about 3500 members). You should spend lots of time reading the advice there before deciding whether to rent long term or short and if short, whether to manage it yourself or hire a manager:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vacation_rentals/messages

I've been doing it for twenty years, and most of what I've learned, I learned there, or the hard way.

Hank

Old 03-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
There is a very helpful Yahoo Group, populated mostly by Vacation Rental owners (about 3500 members). You should spend lots of time reading the advice there before deciding whether to rent long term or short and if short, whether to manage it yourself or hire a manager:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vacation_rentals/messages

I've been doing it for twenty years, and most of what I've learned, I learned there, or the hard way.

Hank

Thank you for the tip. I applied to join this yahoo group.
Jon

Old 03-14-2010, 12:52 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,196,346 times
Hey Jon - Good Luck from Ashford/Yelm WA. Worked at Good Sam in Radiology till 86-89 and you must have known my Dad as he bought his bikes and many many many many other things were you work! I have been snowbirding now for the second season. Keep going back and forth on the buying idea. Vacation Rentals also being an idea while I am not here. It has slowed down to my understanding but I also see way more rental cars in the area compared to last year.

Balad1 you have a point living to keep up with the vegation. One I love it - but as buying in Puna it is also a concern for maintaining a house yard while 2,500 miles away and not here that is a question for me.

This winter the rain has started but in HPP people have had to buy water as not enough rain in catchments - at least some of my friends.

Good luck the bones feel soooo much better here in Hawaii than in WA!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Hey Jon - Good Luck from Ashford/Yelm WA. Worked at Good Sam in Radiology till 86-89 and you must have known my Dad as he bought his bikes and many many many many other things were you work! I have been snowbirding now for the second season. Keep going back and forth on the buying idea. Vacation Rentals also being an idea while I am not here. It has slowed down to my understanding but I also see way more rental cars in the area compared to last year.

Balad1 you have a point living to keep up with the vegation. One I love it - but as buying in Puna it is also a concern for maintaining a house yard while 2,500 miles away and not here that is a question for me.

This winter the rain has started but in HPP people have had to buy water as not enough rain in catchments - at least some of my friends.

Good luck the bones feel soooo much better here in Hawaii than in WA!

I will have worked there four years at the end of June. I work in the parts department, but just do parts for our service department, so I don't get to meet many customers. Now if he had a motorcycle worked on there, then I probably got the parts together for his bikes.

Yes, I have heard that the area where HPP is located has been having a bit of a drought.

I commute on my motorcycles here in Puyallup almost every day. I usually don't let the rain stop me, and I rode this winter when we were breaking cold temp records every day for a week or two.It got down to like 16 degrees.It's a 15 mile round trip commute.

Take care, Jon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii