Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 AM

152 posts, read 117,151 times

Advertisements

I am curious if anyone who reads these forum messages is a businessman or a professional such as doctor, lawyer etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 AM

60 posts, read 245,361 times
I am. Why?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMKAT View Post
I am. Why?
I have asked some questions about business environments in Waikiki and Lahaina, and all I ever get is the same boiler plate non-answers I would expect from "watch-the-world-go-by" faction.

What I am trying to find out at this point is what is the business climate in Waikiki, and what is the attitude towards smaller firms there? Also, is it possible for smaller companies, with sales in the $500,000 to $1,000,000 annually able to make a decent profit, or is it all churning gross and paying exorbidant rents, percentages, fees and taxes with nothing left over.

I am interested in setting up a shop there (currently Internet only), but I am not interested in going there for the "priviledge" of being there, but only if I can make a decent living ($150 to $200K) from store and online ops.

Obviously, I will take a trip there, but I am looking for info that is not "visible" from the street, and insiders would know.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:31 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
Hard to resist the charm! LOL

I'm a businesswoman, what are your questions?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahiahiono View Post
If you have some meaningful, substantive info, I am all ears. But if all you can offer is "spend some money and come here" that I don't really care for a response. Telling me the obvious is not helping. I am looking for info not visible from the street. Info that those who have experience in the market would know.
While it doesn't make much sense for a businessperson to offer free advice to a potential competitor, here are a few links that might be useful...
Smart Business Hawaii (http://www.smallbusinesshawaii.com/index.html - broken link)
Hawaii Business Magazine
Managing with Aloha

Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Hard to resist the charm! LOL

I'm a businesswoman, what are your questions?
Thank you for your response.

I am interested in setting up a theme shop for a line of merchandise, of a wide variety for a well known "artist". It is all first quality merchandise as is the "art", and it is wholesome family stuff. Nothing offensive, rude etc.

What I would like to know is information like what is the business climate like in Waikiki these days as far as tourism levels, burdensome provisions imposed on retailers from either landlords or the city, state or special district authorities. Also, is there an attitude that facilitates or is against smaller stores with sales from $500,000 to perhaps $2M. Do the big boys rule with everyone left with chicken feed or what.

Basically, I am asking for one businessman's read of the viablity of Waikiki for a business of the size stated.

Also, is the homelessness still rampant, and what are the prospects for curing the condition.

Thanks,

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
While it doesn't make much sense for a businessperson to offer free advice to a potential competitor, here are a few links that might be useful...
Smart Business Hawaii (http://www.smallbusinesshawaii.com/index.html - broken link)
Hawaii Business Magazine
Managing with Aloha
Jonah,

TY very much. I will review those links, and appreciate your response.

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
You first asked if there where/are doctors or lawyers on the forum to give you business advice for opening an art-related business?

Before you "dismiss me"...

In no particular order:
Oahu is trying to raise the GET another 1% (which is a fancy sales tax on everything), including rent.
Hawaii even taxes wholesale sales between businesses.
Waikiki area has the highest rents in the state.
Tourism is way down and tourism feeds the Waikiki area.
There are numerous art shops on every single street and throughout every mall that cater to tourists.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
this article might help. retail rent per sq. foot is very expensive.
if you are planning on selling t-shirts or even a artist made hand carved turtle that the tourist might like to buy you have some huge competion. many people, at least on maui and oahu buy a boot space or two at the swap meet and make their money that way and lessen the overhead. most tourist with any savy know you can get tourist goodies at a much better price at the swap meets. good luck
Isle retail rent falls for first time in 6 years - Hawaii Business - Starbulletin.com

Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM

229 posts, read 929,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahiahiono View Post
I am interested in setting up a theme shop for a line of merchandise, of a wide variety for a well known "artist". It is all first quality merchandise as is the "art", and it is wholesome family stuff. Nothing offensive, rude etc.
Sounds like a Thomas Kinkade franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii