Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:21 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times

Advertisements

Those little pieces of black lava rock, aka cinders, does a real number on carpet. Wears it out pretty quick. Tile and wood floors are easier to keep clean. Avoid linoleum - those pieces of lava tear it up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Aha! I knew there was a reason we didn't see much carpet around here. I forgot about the cinders.

We don't have carpet because we are off the electric grid and vacuum cleaners suck up a huge amount of electricity. Fortunately, those Roomba robot vacuums are much better at not using much power. Yay!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Those little pieces of black lava rock, aka cinders, does a real number on carpet. Wears it out pretty quick. Tile and wood floors are easier to keep clean. Avoid linoleum - those pieces of lava tear it up too.
Removing one's shoes before entering the house helps to keep the floors clean and minimize carpet wear.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Removing one's shoes before entering the house helps to keep the floors clean and minimize carpet wear.
Doesn't help much when the people take the shoes off outside, then take 1-2 steps before going in. Doesn't help much either when people who are barefoot come into the house either. (Hawaii - No shoes, No problem)

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM

81 posts, read 220,934 times
I wouldn't have carpet here because it harbors mold. With our high humidity that's almost guaranteed. I like wood laminate floors, with area rugs in the living areas. if they get worn and nasty just replace. We have two rambunctious kids, 2 large dogs, and our wilsonart laminate wood floors don't even have a scratch after 3 years. That's durable. After scrubbing my grout lines on my tile, I'm kicking myself for not running the laminate throughout the whole house, bathrooms excluded of course. Angela

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Doesn't help much when the people take the shoes off outside, then take 1-2 steps before going in. Doesn't help much either when people who are barefoot come into the house either. (Hawaii - No shoes, No problem)
If the house has a large enough lanai and sits on a post-and-pier foundation, very few lava cinders will be tracked in the house by visitors and pets. However, if the house sits on a concrete slab with a small (or no lanai), all kinds of things will probably be tracked inside.

Anyone that's thinking about building a house in Hawai'i should probably pick up a copy of "The Hawai'i Home Book: Practical Tips for Tropical Living" and check out a few copies of "Hawai'i Home and Remodeling Magazine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii