Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM

129 posts, read 536,985 times

Advertisements

I've never seen so many fences and KEEP OUT signs-- but in other news, anyone have any great tips/tricks for discouraging people from breaking in? Like most winterbirds, we won't be at our cabin for a few months at a time. We don't have anything of value (or of no value, really! Not even windows to break!) but I was curious nonetheless about it.

I've never locked my doors wherever I've lived (I'd rather have something stolen then a door ripped out of it's frame, or a window ($600/apiece) broken) and I don't intent to start (I will lock the gate).

So anyone have any good ideas/funny/crappy stories about being robbed?

My car was stolen last year, with my dog in it. It was returned 2 hours later, dog inside, but all the trash and an old sleeping bag were gone. It also appeared to have been VACUUMED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,048,600 times
You must be taking of areas of Puna with the fencing and such. That's the extreme and I have often wondered what is growing behind those fences...

As far as how best to safeguard your cabin, the best and cheapest route is to befriend a neighbor to keep and eye on your place and have a key in the event of an emergency.

Keeping the windows/doors onlocked to avoid breakage won't always help. We've had problems in the past were thieves were actually stealing the windows/doors out of the frames and the kitchen cabinets off the walls. At some of the new construction in Puna and Ka'u the thieves were stealing the stuff faster than the builders could install it. Even had crooks stealing the new building lumber/supplies the first day after it was delivered on site.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM

94 posts, read 319,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
My car was stolen last year, with my dog in it. It was returned 2 hours later, dog inside, but all the trash and an old sleeping bag were gone. It also appeared to have been VACUUMED!
You think the thief would mind stealing my car for a couple hours?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM

129 posts, read 536,985 times
@ Balad: That is a BIG problem in Alaska too- especially since building cost so much up here. We are actually building with lots of recently scored recycled (FREE!) materials, so I guess we wouldn't be out much...

@ jayteefoster: Right? It was REALLY weird! I think they must've been crazy or drug addicts. My car looks like a crazy drug addict drives it (91 Subaru, lots of stickers, paint) so maybe they were mistaken? Oh, and they DID steal a roll of toilet paper too!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,665,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
. It also appeared to have been VACUUMED!

Had to have been a Kirby salesman.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,869 times
Yes, the fencing, gates, signs, dogs, etc. are way off the deep end here in Puna. Most of the people seem to have nothing to steal anyway? I agree with Balad1 - what is growing behind those fences and gates? I believe that the extreme measures people take are actually inviting the thieves because it looks like there may be something worth stealing behind all that security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii