Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
A friend of mine takes the Costco chickens and roasts them a bit longer in her own oven. She does this because sometimes the meat is a bit pink, and she likes the extra crisping of the skin.

You could do the same with the Foodland chickens. Come home, toss them in your oven for a short while on a higher temp, just to brown and dry the outside. Then the inside would be juicy and the skin crispy. If you put that chicken in your oven first thing, I'll bet it wouldn't take much longer than putting away the rest of the groceries and getting ready to sit and eat.

But I want to go eat at hotzcatz house!
Shootz, drop by, we've always got plenty. Someone just dropped off three more roosters, so it might be rooster soup tomorrow. Maybe I can make upside down rooster soup? Not sure how that would work, but I could stick them in the soup pot upside down at least to start with. They usually end up in pieces before the soup is done.

On those store bought roasted chickens, once you've cleaned the good stuff off, toss the carcass into a pot and just cover it with water. Simmer for an hour or so, until the remaining meat bits fall off the bones. Let it cool down a bit then pour the liquid into another pot then pick the meat off the bones and put that in with the broth. Add some vegetables of your choice and simmer until they are about done, add some noodles, cook until done and your "throw away left over roasted chicken carcass" has just become some really tasty chicken soup. Now you've had two good meals out of one five dollar chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,316,848 times
+1 for hotz, but CD won't let me...

Old 04-15-2010, 12:46 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,468,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Shootz, drop by, we've always got plenty. Someone just dropped off three more roosters, so it might be rooster soup tomorrow. Maybe I can make upside down rooster soup? Not sure how that would work, but I could stick them in the soup pot upside down at least to start with. They usually end up in pieces before the soup is done.

On those store bought roasted chickens, once you've cleaned the good stuff off, toss the carcass into a pot and just cover it with water. Simmer for an hour or so, until the remaining meat bits fall off the bones. Let it cool down a bit then pour the liquid into another pot then pick the meat off the bones and put that in with the broth. Add some vegetables of your choice and simmer until they are about done, add some noodles, cook until done and your "throw away left over roasted chicken carcass" has just become some really tasty chicken soup. Now you've had two good meals out of one five dollar chicken.
I don't know if I can afford to simmer for an hour with Hawaii electric rates

Old 04-15-2010, 03:26 AM

Nobody I know has an electric stove. I even know a lot of folks who have wood stoves. Check into "rocket stoves" sometime or google up "Sensible Simplicity Jay Fitzgerald" and read about his rocket stove. It burns twigs and small pieces of wood and cooks things just great. Much more sustainable than electric stoves when the electricity is made from oil. One of my neighbors has a solar stove which he plays with, but he doesn't use it consistently.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM

160 posts, read 487,090 times
I hate to admit it (only because I hated to see Puna Fresh get taken over) but the HuliHuli rotisserie chickens at Fooodland is one thing we can all agree on and I find them to be well browned usually.
And Hotz, this rocket stove thing sounds fun, going to go check that out in a few.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 PM

There's a whole pile of sustainable folks over on your side of the island, Badatta2de. Last I heard one of them even had extra chickens so you'd be able to jump right in with upside down roasted birds. There is a gathering of them next weekend, they have pot lucks and swap seeds, plants and even chickens around.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 PM

ust found some great sustainability group on yahoo catz. Not sure if thats what you meant but they do have potlucks and such.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Is that Kele's group? Lots of weather reports on the group website? They are a good group, too. A bit older overall than Jay's group on Lefora. Sensible Simplicity Forum: Discussing Sustainability Categories is the link for the folks building rocket stoves. Kele's group is more about gardening, usually, but they are both good.

I'm beginning to see a lot more folks keeping chickens in their backyards and as that happens there will be a lot of extra roosters around so we can start roasting our own. They have more flavor than the store bought kind, although it's not as convenient as the pre-cooked ones. If we get a rotisserie going, does that keep our chickens from being roasted upside down, do you think?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 AM

yes its Keles group lol. Im new there. Mahalo for the link on the rocket stoves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: