Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times

Advertisements

But don't let anyone on the island see those blue books. And don't do everything they say. There are a lot of recommendations about going into "remote", "secluded", "secret" and such sorts of places you shouldn't. There are many private property places that aren't posted as private property and that book suggests folks go there or go through them. True, up until the time that book was published, the property owner would let folks use their property to get to where ever the folks wanted to go on the other side of the property, but after the book became common there were too many people assuming they had a right of way through the private property and trashing the place so the owners have had to block off and deny access to everyone because of the abuse caused by the blue book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Swim with wild dolphins on the Big Island
If I could swim with wild dolphins, I would be sure I'd died and gone to heaven!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
speaking of the blue books (Hawai'i Revealed by Andrew Doughty, a book for each island) i would suggest going to your local bookstore where you live and thumbing through each one. just look at the pictures, the names of the places and glance at the things to do. you will probably notice one island catches your thoughts and likings more than the others. THAT will be the island you will go to. Buy the book and read through it well before your trip. Other than the O'ahu book, it will be all you need. i don't even use normal street maps, the books are totally inclusive. they go through EVERYTHING and are really funny and personable. best guide books out there! getting it before your trip will be great because you'll know the things you want to do so you'll save time knowing what you want and where everything is. i think those books are priceless for visiting or living on the islands!
Excellent suggestion! Thank you! I'll do that.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, you guys have definitely convinced me not to try to cram as many islands as possible into my trip. I really don't think you could get me down to just one, though. I've got to see two, and will leave the rest for next time (just hoping there is a next time).

So, with the idea in mind that I'll be seeing two islands, tell me your list of "must visits" and I'll narrow my choice down to the two islands that have the most wonderful suggestions (multiple recommendations for the same site will also influence me). So that you know what kinds of things I'm interested in, I would be way into the natural beauty of the area and would enjoy seeing things you just can't see anywhere but Hawaii. Pearl Harbor-related sites would bore me to tears. I love animals and ocean life and would enjoy scuba diving, etc. I like to shop, and my husband loves (perhaps I should say "LIVES" to golf so we could split up for a half a day and each pursue our interests in that regard. I'm also interested in Polynesian culture and things related to the various groups of native people who have populated the islands over the years. I'd probably want to spend a little bit of time on the beach, but at 61, I would prefer to find a beach that is not run-over solely by bikini-clad beauties. (I don't want to end that day in tears.)
Kauai - The Island of Kauai - The Garden Isle (http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/default.htm - broken link)

given the above, I would fly to oahu, then go straight to kauai for 3, 4 days stay. start out on the west side, stay at a nice hotel around poipu beach. spend the day relaxing and getting on island time. the next day go to waimea canyon, then back to the hotel for a nice dinner. check out the following day and go spend a night or two in hanalei. (or if you don't mind driving just stay in one hotel) explore that end of the island. take a fast raft ride down the coast to see the sea cliffs.
go to maui, spend the remainder of time split between the lahaina side and the wailea side. lahaina has the cultural shows as well as shops and golf.
wailea has great beaches, golf and shopping.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
But don't let anyone on the island see those blue books. And don't do everything they say. There are a lot of recommendations about going into "remote", "secluded", "secret" and such sorts of places you shouldn't. There are many private property places that aren't posted as private property and that book suggests folks go there or go through them. True, up until the time that book was published, the property owner would let folks use their property to get to where ever the folks wanted to go on the other side of the property, but after the book became common there were too many people assuming they had a right of way through the private property and trashing the place so the owners have had to block off and deny access to everyone because of the abuse caused by the blue book.
We used the books mainly to find good places to eat, local-style, rather than the cliche offerings at the hotels and the like. There's this great little diner in Hilo that's on a side street that we'd never have driven on.

Yes, the authors will admit to having pissed off a lot of the locals by divulging these secret sites, to the point that they're becoming overrun with tourists.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,679 times
My other suggestion would be Kauai, but that's not to take anything away from Maui, since we've never been there.

If you're into learning about the Hawaiian culture and people, visit the City of Refuge on the Big Island.

As to Kauai, you can drive up to the end of the road past Princeville and see the location where South Pacific was filmed. There's also a neat lighthouse that's open to the public on the way.

Dinner time, but if I think of more places, I'll write tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 AM

71 posts, read 298,539 times
The time of year you are going is also a factor - in the summer the Big Island gets a little hot while the north shore of Kauai is spectacular in the summer. If you must see 2 islands, my vote would be for Maui and Kauai. The southwest side of Maui has some beautiful hotels. My friend works at Ferraros at the Four Seasons - a perfect place for a special dinner. Go early to see the sunset. We also love to stay at the Hooilo House on Maui's west side - very romantic place. There is also a nice strip of hotels a little farther north in Kaanapali including the Sheraton, Hyatt, etc. My must do recommendations for Maui are the Road to Hana, at least part way, the beaches on the south shore, the winery upcountry (great burgers across the street), and shopping in Lahaina. There is a beautiful golf course in Kapalua that your husband would probably enjoy. Maui also has the best luau in all of Hawaii - Old Lahaina Luau - an absolute must for a first timer!

On Kauai we always stay for a week up north in Princeville. There is the beautiful St. Regis up north on the ocean and with its own golf course, but we prefer a more reasonably priced condo next door. There are many condos to choose from that are lovely. Might want to look at www.vacationrentalsinkauai.com for ideas. From the north side you can take a boat/snorkel tour ride along the Napali coast and also visit the gorgeous beaches on that side of the island. Our favorite boat company for a tour is Napali Catamaran. Then we stay for 2-3 days on the south side at the Grand Hyatt. A beautiful place with the best pools I have ever seen, overlooking the ocean. From there we can easily visit the Waimea Canyon (a smaller version of the Grand Canyon) and some of our favorite restaurants, including The Beach House. The hotel itself has a delicous buffet in the morning and the Stevenson's Library at night to grab a drink and relax to the sounds of the ocean. Have fun no matter what you decide - 10 days is perfect!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM

47 posts, read 182,344 times
For golf and shopping you can't go wrong with maui.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I agree with OP and would limit the time to two islands. Depending on your lifestyle, what you want to do, and what is important for your trip, that would determine the islands you visit. Each island is unique itself. We have stayed on every island at least once and visit Maui every year. Our preference is Maui and Kauai. Read about the islands and then choose what's right for you.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,463 times
my must sees for Kaua'i, Big Island and Maui (leaving off O'ahu-cause i've been many times and i'm never as interested compared to the other islands). if you see any you want more info or a personal expirience of, let me know.

Kaua'i:
if you've got lots of money: circle island helicopter tour. takes your breath away!
if you want adventure and wanna work hard: 1 day kayak trip of Na Pali Coast
more adventure and hard work: hike from Ke'e beach to Hanakapia'i beach 2.5 miles ea/way.
snorkel Tunnels
Easy kayak trip up Wailua river and easy hike to secret falls. not very secret, but awesome.
MUST go up to the Koke'e area for hikes, lookouts, pure awesomness
Polihale beach is huge and you can be alone there. tricky access sometimes though (rough road)
Pu'u O Kila lookout up in the Koke'e area
Alaka'i swamp hike, or at least part of it
the many Waimea Canyon lookouts and hikes
there is a shave ice place in Ele ele, i think, that's that best i've ever had

Big Island
Volcanoes National Park. duh. nothing there will disapoint you. from lava fields, lava to rainforest
every night, 6-10pm, free star party with nice telescopes at the VIS on mauna kea.
i worked up there doing this for a while, and if it's a clear night (usually the case) it can
change your life. this way you get to see saddle road (at least one way in the day) and the
mountains as well. it's stunning.
i like any of the hot ponds in Puna
Boiling Pots and Pe'e Pe'e falls
Horseback ride in Waipio Valley
Pololu Valley & Beach (if you're feeling fresh hike from the valley up to the lookout above
honokane nui.
Makalawena Beach (my favorite on the island)
Big Island Grill in Kailua-Kona
Pu'uhonua o Honaunau (place of refuge)
Kealakekua Bay snorkel, by kayak or sailboat
South Point
Green Sands
Manta Ray night snorkel, nuff said.
I could go on so i'll stop now

Maui:
See the wildlife at Maui Ocean Center
Drive the Hana Hwy, i would recommend staying at least a night in the cabins at
Wainapanapa, see the black sand there and the other beautiful sights.
The Princess caves inside Wainapanapa-my fav thing on this island
Waterfalls, stops and swimmin' holes on the Hana Hwy
Haleakala sunrise followed by part of the sliding sands trail.
Birding in Haleakala National Park is BOSS. easy to see rare and beautiful birds in Hosmers Grove!
Boat ride to Molokini for snorkeling/lunch
Ohe'o Gulch (7 sacred pools)

a note about snorkeling/diving places i mentioned Kealakekua on big island vs. Molokini. Molokini is the clearest ocean water i've ever seen-but i was surprised at the lack of life compared to Kealakekua bay. Kealakekua is beyond teeming with life and the visibility is good, but there are some freshwater springs, (though it's still clearer than most places) and dolphins frequent. Molokini is awesome because it's so clear, but again, the lack of life kinda defeats the purpose. i would recomend it, it's great to go out on the boat, have a great lunch and a cool clear snorkel or dive. lots of albatroses on the little island, but lots of people-i've never been kicked and annoyed the way i was snorkeling at Molokini anytime i've been to Kealakekua bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii