Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
There was something in the advertiser about a state worker doing this a while back... coming from Kauai if I remember correctly. I can't find the link. I agree though, it is not common place.

To answer the original question, it is a piece of cake. Go online, get a ticket, get a rental car, get a hotel. Even easier if you know someone that you can stay with. The flights will be short, Kauai and Maui you barely feel like you got to a good cruising height and you are descending already. Would have been even easier if the superferry was still around but that didn't work out (kauai transplant residents have their piece of paradise and they want to keep everyone else out).

Is that really why Superferry failed?

It's funny... I always assumed Hawaii had ferries. I mean we had a ferry between Trinidad and Tobago, and in Houston we had one to the island north of Galveston. Then I started looking a while before I moved here and found that there was a Superferry that was outlawed. Is there any other developed island or island group in the world without a ferry?

It feels like each island is a separate state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM

820 posts, read 3,036,916 times
Sorry for the slightly 'rainy day' post here, but it's not quite so simple or cheap.

Hawaiian Airlines right now is charging $58 each way, and that's a promotion. Go! Airlines is matching that $58 fare. Round trip after adding taxes is $128.40. Sure there are the occasional massively cheap fares like $19 per leg, but that is usually a big anniversary or back when ATA and Aloha were operating and competition was fierce.

Hawaiian Airlines charges 7500 miles for a one way island hop. If you are earning 1 mile for every $2, then you've got $15k to spend before you can earn a trip from one island to the next, and then you need to pay your way back.

The hop from Maui to Oahu is 30 minutes flight time, but you need to be checked in and at the gate at least 30 minutes before. The airlines say they want you there earlier, but with the smaller planes it doesn't take long to load up. Then you factor in parking, ticketing, baggage check, and security... get to the airport 1-1.5 hours before flight...get your bags, get your car, drive away is another hour+ at the landing end. All in all your average person spends about 1 to 1.5 hours of airport time on each side, which makes your 30 minutes flight into 3.5 hours. Of course you can do the veteran traveler route, with carry-on and a ride to the airport with your tickets in hand, and just hop on a bus or get a ride on the landing side.

Yes, it's far easier to travel inter-island than go to the mainland. But it still costs you about $125 (without rental car) and takes up 3.5 hours.

But worthwhile, very worthwhile.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

It's funny... I always assumed Hawaii had ferries. I mean we had a ferry between Trinidad and Tobago, and in Houston we had one to the island north of Galveston. Then I started looking a while before I moved here and found that there was a Superferry that was outlawed. Is there any other developed island or island group in the world without a ferry?

Well, technically it was a permitting issue (environmental impact assessments and the like). There were concerns about whales being struck by the ferry as well as invasive species migrating from island to island. You can read all about it in the advertiser archives.

Polls showed that the majority of locals supported it as it provided a cheap way for folks to visit family, take their cars, and transport goods. There was a very vocal opposition (particularly on Kauai) that opposed it. They paddled out into the harbor on surfboards to block the boat, beat on peoples cars, etc...

I don't want to open a can of worms here but the general consensus was that this vocal opposition of Kauai was mostly made up of transplant residents who "have their little piece of paradise and want to keep it to themselves". I can't really blame them, I wouldn't want my island to turn into Oahu either.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 AM

820 posts, read 3,036,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

How long a trip was it from Trinidad and Tobago, or from Houston to the island north of Galveston? And how much did those ferries charge for the trip?

The ferry ride from Maui to Oahu was 3.5 hours, not counting loading & unloading. I think I remember the fare on the Super Ferry was about $125 one way, not counting the super-deal opening week. Let's say I wanted to take the ferry over to Oahu to do a little shopping for a day. Based on the ferry schedule, I could not have hopped on a morning ferry over, shopped, and come back the same night. I would have had to take the ferry over, land on Oahu, spend the night. Shop the next day, spend the night, then take the ferry back on the 3rd day. So now I'm paying for the ferry plus 2 nights at a hotel.

Other objections to the Super Ferry were that they did not due an environmental impact study, public monies were spent upgrading the harbor without vote or consent, the ferries were considered a collision threat during whale season as they did plan to slow down, and a whole long list more.

For the outer islands, it wasn't such a great deal. The ferry was more of a benefit to Oahu, and the objections to the ferry were more from the outer islands that had less benefits and more impact.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post

The ferry ride from Maui to Oahu was 3.5 hours, not counting loading & unloading. I think I remember the fare on the Super Ferry was about $125 one way, not counting the super-deal opening week. Let's say I wanted to take the ferry over to Oahu to do a little shopping for a day. Based on the ferry schedule, I could not have hopped on a morning ferry over, shopped, and come back the same night. I would have had to take the ferry over, land on Oahu, spend the night. Shop the next day, spend the night, then take the ferry back on the 3rd day. So now I'm paying for the ferry plus 2 nights at a hotel.
Very true, if that is what you want to do then flying is probably far cheaper. But at the same time... if you want to visit family/friends for a week, you can stay with them, bring some gear (fishing pole, surfboard), and your car for pretty cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Other objections to the Super Ferry were that they did not due an environmental impact study, public monies were spent upgrading the harbor without vote or consent, the ferries were considered a collision threat during whale season as they did plan to slow down, and a whole long list more.
The whole process looked pretty shady, they clearly tried to duck around the permitting process and handle some things under the table.

I still think most locals wanted it though, especially the folks with family on other islands.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Why don't you post a link to it? Somehow, I doubt transportation is subsidized.
Easy enough to look up. Archived articles cost money, here's the basics of the worst one they wrote about:

Official's commute cost state $40,000

Honolulu Advertiser - Honolulu, Hawaii
Author: Sean Hao Date: Sep 10, 2009
Start Page: n/a
Section: NEWS
Text Word Count: 955

Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Why don't you post a link to it? Somehow, I doubt transportation is subsidized.
Official's commute cost state $40,000 | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices/12912560-1.html - broken link)

This was an extreme case though. I don't think it is indicative of most government employees.

Sorry original poster, your thread is being highjacked. LOL

Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM

138 posts, read 355,312 times
I have no problem bashing government employees, if they're anything like the ones we have here in CA.

I understood Sweetbeet's meaning. It's the same in SoCal (and one of the reasons I'm leaving). Everything is cookie cutter... the houses, the cars, the clothes, the boob jobs (not that I have a problem with boob jobs but EVERYONE has one here) etc etc. There is no individuality.

I think I'll have plenty on the Big Island to keep me occupied until I can get the extra money saved up for inter-island trips. Hopefully someone will start a competing airline so the rates will get competitive.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,111 times
I was just looking at plane fare with my friend last night from lihue to kahului and it was over $200 round trip. I was also speaking to a guy who wanted to book honolulu to lihue 2 days out and it was over $400. What happened to $9 fare?!!?!?!?

And I know a few people who commute interisland but on their own dime. Most people in this situation that I know live on Oahu but come here for work and fly back on weekends. I know two other ppl that have the same situation from Maui. Also, I meet a lot of government workers who fly around the islands on a consistent basis (for example, a guy lives in Maui, flys to Oahu to one of the bases for a day or two, then comes to Kauai to go PMRF for two days and then flies back home to Maui. They repeat this pattern every week or two).

Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
The key is advance purchase for more reasonable costs. Right now, without specials, you can figure on $150 round trip with a 14+ day advance purchase.
My former manager purchased his flights about 3 weeks ahead of time, and would routinely snag Hawaiian Air frequent flyer specials of around $100 round trip.

Occasionally I would pick him up at the airport. Usually, he would have one or two others with him that I would drop off at their work before going back to our office. The others worked for different companies and shared rides like that all the time. No need for taxis or rental cars. As I mentioned before, it is very common to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii