Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times

Advertisements

There was a Magnum PI episode about the Ironman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
At the Ironman finish line, when the medics ask them if they are injured (standard procedure after an event like this) the answer is almost invariably "it will be okay". Not, "no injuries", but "it will be okay". That is, if they are able to talk. The first few across the line are almost the same as when they left, they can talk and walk and consider what's for dinner. Some of the folks further back in the race who manage to finish aren't exactly able to process more than "one foot then the other foot" by the time they cross the line. Frequently, those folks will sort of collapse on the spot as soon as they are across the line.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM

94 posts, read 319,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
At the Ironman finish line, when the medics ask them if they are injured (standard procedure after an event like this) the answer is almost invariably "it will be okay". Not, "no injuries", but "it will be okay". That is, if they are able to talk. The first few across the line are almost the same as when they left, they can talk and walk and consider what's for dinner. Some of the folks further back in the race who manage to finish aren't exactly able to process more than "one foot then the other foot" by the time they cross the line. Frequently, those folks will sort of collapse on the spot as soon as they are across the line.
Well, to be fair, it's probably the most ridiculous race in existence. I forget how long the swim is, but its something like three or four miles, plus a full marathon, plus one hundred miles on a bike.

If that doesn't get you a little tuckered out, I'm not sure what will.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:44 AM

145 posts, read 451,441 times
Quote:
I forget how long the swim is, but its something like three or four miles, plus a full marathon, plus one hundred miles on a bike.

Note to self: NEVER, under any circumstances, sign up for the Ironman competition!

As a side note, now I have the "Ironman" song stuck in my head. Well, one line of it anyway. Unfortunately, it's the only line of the song I know.

*sings*

"I am iron man...du-nuh-na-na-na-na-nah...something, something..."

Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
They swim first so there is less likelihood of drowning. Then they bicycle up to Kawaihae and back. And then they run the marathon. They kinda do things from the most dangerous to the least dangerous so as they tire out during the day they don't have to be as concerned with drowning or operating machinery. (If a bicycle is considered machinery.) They also don't let folks sign up for the Ironman (or IronPerson, some of the men are women) unless they have completed some other fairly hefty marathons.

The swim is somewhere around two point something miles. They leave from the pier in Kailua-Kona and return to the same point. There is a whole herd of bicycles parked next to the harbor and somehow they all manage to find their specific bicycle in all that expensive metal and head off on a 100 mile bike ride. The last time I watched, the bicycle part went through Kailua town then along the lower road surrounded by the black lava fields up to Kawaihae and back. The wind shifted as the day progressed so for most of them they had a headwind both ways. I didn't follow them once they started running except for the beginning and end of the foot race. Which was the same start finish as the swimming part and bicycle part.

It isn't anything I'd ever want to do, but I'd love to be in a condition to think I could. ;P

Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM

102 posts, read 127,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Ironman this year is Oct. 9th. Rates are generally the same as "high season" and sometimes yes, larger deposits and cleaning fees. There were about the same amount of athletes last year but evidently less friends and family and fans because bookings were down a bit from years past. We have some that come back every year to units that we manage, and it's always fun to talk to people from all over the world. The Athletes "Parade of Nations" is always fun to watch, too.

If you have never watched the finish line on Ironman Day, it's a fantastic experience and quite inspiring when you see not only the professional athletes, but the everyday moms, dads, grandparents whose families may join them for the last few blocks; the disabled, the amputee, the paraplegic, cross that finish line.
I understand the swimming is the first phase. Is that correct?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Yes, swimming comes first.

There are two Iron Man events on the Big Island.

Iron Man 70.3 is scheduled for June 5th, 2010 and takes place along the Kohala Coast. It is about 1/2 of a normal event.
1.2 mi. swim • 56 mi. bike • 13.1 mi. run

The regular Iron Man is scheduled for October 9, 2010, in Kailua-Kona. It is called the Ford Iron Man World Championship and is open only by qualified status. You have to have earned your right to be in it.
It is a "full size event".
2.4 mi. swim • 112 mi. bike • 26.2 mi. run

World Championship » IRONMAN.com

Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM

140 posts, read 407,744 times
here's one of my favorite stories from iron man.

YouTube - Dick & Rick Hoyt

Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM

155 posts, read 545,056 times
Hawaii Ironman World Championship, Kona, Hawaii. First held in 1978 on Oahu, only five years after the sport of triathlon was founded; it was later moved to Kailua-Kona on the island of Hawaii. The cycling stage of the race covers more than a hundred miles over lava flats on the big island of Hawaii, where mid-day temperatures often reach over 110 °F (43 °C) and cross-winds sometimes blow at 55 MPH (90 km/h). The race is often challenging even to competitors with experience in other iron-distance events. Source: Triathlon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2010, 12:49 PM

155 posts, read 545,056 times
Harder than the ironman? The Ultraman!

The Ultraman World Championship is a three-day race held on the Big Island.
6.2 mile (10-km) ocean swim +
90 mile (145-km) bike ride, with vertical climbs that total 6,000 feet +
171 mile (276-km) bike ride with total vertical climbs of 4,000 feet +
52 mile (84-km) run (a double-marathon)

This event attracts athletes who seek to explore the extreme in physical and mental abilities. The race is limited to 35 athletes on an invitation-only basis and attracts participants from around the world. Racers must have reached their 20th birthday prior to the start of stage one. Ultraman has been mostly unchanged since its beginning and was designed to not just be long but to be “an athletic odyssey of rediscovery, showcasing one of the most breathtaking places on earth.” according to race organizers (Curtis Tyler, 1983). source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrama...ance_challenge)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: