Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

We are planning a summer vacation to Hawaii. It will be for a family of 4 (older kids that do all of the adult things). We want at least 2 weeks and would like to at least hit 3 islands.

What 3 islands would you say FOR SURE to visit?

How long would you stay at each?

A better area on the islands to stay over other sides?

Getting from island to island: Local airline or one of the big majors? Like American or someone else?

What are "do not miss" places to see and things to do?
We plan on Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation, Maui and doing a helicopter tour.

We plan on renting condos at each place we go to so that we have more room and a kitchen.

Any other info?

GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Aloha,

Lots to do lots to see. Fly into HNL stay 4-5 days see Pearl Harbor, Punch bowl, dole, Polynesian cultural center, north shore. Go to Big Island see Volcano Lava is flowing now its a must see, Waterfalls ,Parker ranch, Observatory( Remember its the tallest mountain in the world) , tons more. Go Maui kids will like Lahaina , Haleakala morning ( if it were me I would do this the first day in Hawaii its easy to wake up a 4 am then), Drive Hana road,
The helicopter tour I would do the Big Island because of the volcano its flowing in 2 spots right now but that could change at any time. do a Luau on Maui their a little cheesy but a must . The big Island is as the name says big so it will take much more time and driving to see it all.

Good luck have fun and tro da Shaka to nice and courteous people

Koa

Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,039 times
Default Hawaii is EXCELLENT

We did three weeks and went to bed and breakfast places. Went to many and had a wonderful time. Couldn't recommend it more. I'd go to every island if I had the time. I'm ready to ride that helicopter around the volcano again...well worth the $500 per person that I paid 15 years ago.

Everyone should have the chance to go to Hawaii!!!

Great scuba and fishing.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 AM

10 posts, read 27,952 times
If I had 2 weeks, I wouldn't go to more than 2 Islands. Of course it depends on what you are seeking. When I'm in the islands, I like to relax, spend time with the family, do some snorkeling, hiking fishing. I'm not one to spend time at the resorts, or have my vacation catered.

I would rent a rental house, on the Big Island, and relax. Hit the Hilo Market, see the Volcano, go up on the Mountain and see the view.

Molokai is a nice place to decompress, too.

But, thats me.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Hell, I could spend 2 weeks on one island. I'm with quil...just hang out, swim, snorkel, ride bikes, eat at local places...

If you must island hop, definitely Maui and Oahu for sure. You can get direct flights on American from DFW to both Maui and Oahu.

Lived on Oahu for a month. Liked the Polynesian Cultural Center, Dole Plantation, and Hanauma Bay.

Spent two weeks (two different visits) on Maui...mostly water sports and biking down the volcano.

Just got back from Kauai...that was interesting. But that's one of those places you go to kick back...not sure there's necessarily much to 'see.' If you like diving, hiking, water sports, it's cool.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
If you only have two weeks, then two islands might be better than three. Saves time on flying to another island, getting a car, finding the new vacation rental, etc. But, generally, island people don't seem to move as fast as mainland people so maybe three islands will work for you.

About the only airlines which fly inter-island are the local ones. Here's their websites:
Hawaii Flights, Travel & Vacations - Hawaiian Airlines That's Hawaiian Air, they also fly to the mainland.

Island Air has smaller planes flying between the islands: Island Air Hawaii

Go Airlines flies between the islands: Go Mokulele - Hawaiian InterIsland Airline Flights – Mesa Discount Airfare: go Mokulele www.iflyGo.com: Book Flights Today and if you should want to get completely into a Hawaiian mood, their website is also in Hawaiian as well: www.lelegowau.com They have some smaller planes which fly inter-island, so it is almost like a sightseeing flight.

When flying between islands, check the route of the airline. Some of them to go between islands other than Oahu require two flights - the first flight to Oahu, then the second flight to the island you want to go to. Also check to see if you can fly into one island and fly out from another. That might save travel time. Oahu is the hub of the islands, so most of the flights and container ships go there first.

Bed & Breakfasts might be a nice idea. Some of them have BBQ facilities so you'd be able to make some food at "home". Plus there's always the picnic type dinners which don't need cooking. Frequently on vacations, we go to lunch or dinner by stopping by a grocery store instead of a restaurant.

If you are going to be on Oahu, I'd spend an afternoon in Waikiki. That way you'll be able to compare vacations with almost everyone else who has been on a Hawaiian Vacation. The zoo and aquarium are also in Waikiki as well as a zillion fancy hotels. My friends like to stroll through Waikiki wandering through the fancy hotel lobbies and along the beach. Oahu has great beaches almost everywhere, too. On Friday evenings in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village they have fireworks on the beach. Waikiki is all very touristy and kitsch, but what the hey, it's fun for an afternoon.

The island of Hawaii (aka "the Big Island") has the volcano. That's worth several days if you want to see the flow as well as the crater in the park. If anyone in your party is an active or retired military person, renting the Kilauea Military Camp cabins is really a great value. They are incredibly cute small houses/cabins. They are also directly in the park itself along with a commissary and bowling alley.

What sorts of things does your family usually like to do?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:38 PM

8 posts, read 79,038 times
I most recently did 2 weeks in Hawaii just this past fall, and I am moving to Oahu on August 14th. I would fly into HNL - easiest and cheapest from all of the research I've done. Waikiki is a must see (it's so famous and everyone will ask you what you thought of it) but it is a bit too touristy and city-like for my tastes (I live a few miles from New York City, so when I travel, I like to get AWAY from huge crowds of people and shopping centers, etc.) Definitely see Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, spend some time at the North Shore, Sandy's Beach, The Polynesian Cultural Center, the Dole Plantation, etc. I did a full day Circle Island tour with E Noa Tours by myself when my friend was at the hotel jet-lagged beyond belief, and highly recommend that! The driver was super nice and knowledgeable and it was a great time - fun AND informative. PS make sure you get a plate lunch at the North Shore! And try the pineapple ice at the Dole Plantation!

I have found that GO! Airlines (Go Mokulele - Hawaiian InterIsland Airline Flights – Mesa Discount Airfare: go Mokulele www.iflyGo.com: Book Flights Today) had the hands down BEST PRICES for inter-island flights. I always select the "non-modifiable" rates or whatever they call them, and you can fly from island to island for literally $50 - 100 a pop.

We then did several days on Kauai - SO BEAUTIFUL! I personally love Kauai - laid back, beautiful, great spirit from the locals, etc. Hanalei is magical, spend some time there. A helicopter tour with Safari Tours was WELL worth my time and money. I did the 90 minute option over the mountains and Hanalei Bay, etc. and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Truly moving. I even got to meet Keith Robinson (look him up on Wikipedia.) Make sure to have dinner at Postcards Cafe in Hanalei - one of the best meals I've ever had!

I spent the final few days of that trip on Molokai in an AWESOME condo I got from VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) - I know it is one of the lesser known islands, and so many of my friends have never even thought about visiting when they go to Hawaii, but I highly recommend it. It's incredibly beautiful, laid back, uncrowded, etc. The people of Molokai are truly some of the nicest, happiest, most open and loving I have ever met. Make sure you go to Kalaupapa - it was one of the most spiritually moving experiences I've ever had the opportunity to be a part of. I took the mule down the mountain and had SUCH a blast (Tour: The Kalaupapa National Historical Park and Guided Mule Tour) - but if you're more comfortable on foot, you can walk. Make sure you stop by Kalele Bookstore & Divine Expressions and say aloha to Teri - a very wise and kind friend to all. Have a sunset drink at Hotel Molokai as well!

Enjoy your trip! Hawaii is a truly magical island chain!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,268 times
which islands to visit, i think, definately depends on what you and your family like to do and what you are going to Hawai'i for. Do you want to see the outdoors? hike? see culture? see history? do you like visiting museums or would you prefer to see the natural beauty? do you want to see/do as many things as possible or see a few things but relax mostly.

i have a problem with referring everyone to Big Island and Kaua'i, because i feel like you get the most bang for your buck and they will leave you most impressed and in a fantasy world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii