Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 05:22 PM

42 posts, read 131,238 times

Advertisements

So far so good with my husbands move to Oahu. He has been there for just about a month and he is loving life right now. His job is amazing and its such a great opportunity for him. He is working on the MCBH and says everyone he works with are wonderful no matter where he goes on the base.

He has also found a room for rent in Kailua from this great local guy name Michael that he found on craigslist. He went to look at the place and he was there chatting with him and his friend for over 2 hours and moved in one week later. He is making friends quickly and feels so comfortable. He did state that he defintely likes the windward side much better than Honolulu and honestly couldnt wait to get out of that area only because of all the tourists and constant noise but he was also staying right near Waikki.

For the prices compared to CT or CA he said they are pretty comparable except for certain foods that have to be imported. Its very expensive in CT so maybe thats why its not such a huge difference for him with the prices.

Before he was going to move I read this forum everyday for info and peoples opinions and I was actually turned off by moving to Hawaii. I was actually worried for him because people posts a lot of negative things about Hawaii with drugs, prices, jobs etc. But if you think about it that happens everywhere more places than others but every place has its downfalls. Not that I have been to Hawaii to actually experience it myself but what from my husband says he doesnt see it being terrible at all. I am actually applying for jobs out there using his local address so hopefully I will be able to land a job and move out there with him within the next few months. I am not sure if we will live in Hawaii forever but you never know and he seems to be really excited about living there. He also said that he would never move back to California after living in Hawaii.

I just wanted to post an updated progress on how he is doing and how much he loves it and if you are considering of moving or getting ready to move that it can be done. I also think it has a lot to do with your personality and what your needs are. He is very friendly and just goes with the flow so I think this has helped him with getting settled in.

Good luck to all who are moving or planning on moving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM

209 posts, read 722,770 times
Aloha Jenie24,

I'm so happy to hear that your husband is doing well. I had followed some of your earlier posts in the forum and was hoping for the best for the two of you. I'm glad you didn't listen to all the negatives on here and let that persuade your opinion of Hawaii. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get a job there and that you and your husband will be very happy living there. Please keep us posted. Best wishes to you

Take Care,
Kelly4Sun

Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,596,161 times
Aloha Jenie ,

We moved from Western NY and our food budget went down here so Iʻm not suprised. We eat our comfort foods here same as in NY I guess my comfort is Hawaii. I canʻt eat enough rice funny thing my wife asked me today how my rice cravings were? I said more please.
Iʻm glad you Husband is doing well keep up the posts and hurry out to him I know how hard it is to be apart.

Koa

Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,041,712 times
I'm glad to hear all is going well.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,621 times
Keep posting updates, please.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:31 AM

25 posts, read 80,036 times
Really great update, Jenie, and I wish you and your husband continued happiness and great adventures! I hope you land that job soon too! We are counting the days ourselves, and hope to run into you in Kailua one of these days!
Aloha!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 AM

145 posts, read 451,914 times
I'm very happy to hear this, Jenie. :-) I think most people on here are well meaning and only trying to be helpful - but I also think you have to take ALL information (negative AND positive) into consideration when making a decision for yourself. As you said, a lot of the success or failure of making such a move will depend upon the individual (and what thier particular needs/desires/priorities in life are). The other day I read through a thread by this poor woman who had been heavily preassured (by her husband) into moving from NYC to the wilds of Maui. Understandably, she was absolutely MISERABLE! Not only did she not want to move (ANYWHERE - from what I could tell) but especially not to a place that was so different from the home she knew and loved and which offered her the things she valued in life (generally speaking 'Big City Life'). For her, Maui was a hole, a trap and a terrible prison. But there were so many people who chimed in to the contrary; to them (with obviously different needs, desires a d priorities in life), Maui was the perfect island paradise they'd always dreamed of. It's all about the individuals. ;-)

Good luck finding a job and with your (hopefully!) eventual move! Please keep us updated. :-)

Old 05-15-2010, 12:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,088,002 times
Kailua is a very nice town, much nicer to live in than Waikiki for quietness and it has a great beach, too. It's also beautiful this time of year. It will rain a bit in the winter time, but it's warm rain and the rainbows will come out afterwards.

If your husband has a job now, can both of you live on his salary? If it were me, I'd drop whatever I was doing on the mainland and move over right away and especially before it got cold again on the mainland. Home is about people more so than places most times.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,526 times
Default Coming Back To Hawaii Nei

Aloha everyone! I have loved reading all your posts and with great interest. I share so much passion for the Aloha State, I lived in Maui in 1983, I was 23 and packed a duffel bag with all my belongings, and dreams of living in the most beautiful place I had never been to! I lived, loved, and worked hard for less than a year, (I had to return to the mainland), for various reasons, all the while vowing to return to live when I retired. I have visited once sometimes twice a year since then and have seen many changes and still I feel the same deep sense of place there.
Well I retired early due to a back injury, and am lining things up to come back where my heart and spirit are at home. I am lucky to know long time friends and know how to live simply and share what I have and give what I can.
Thankyou all for posting your stories and thoughts it makes me even more excited to return!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,304,468 times
Please keep us updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii