Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,479 times

Advertisements

Hello. i have been doing searches through out the threads since yesterday reading all the lovely information that i need but, I am still have questions.
I have 2 small children under 3 and one on the way due in november. I am very interested in moving to the islands and have been for sometime.
My husband has an opportunity to work on Oahu in Waikiki and we totally want to take this opportunity and just go for it.
My family moved to Maui in 1997 and I have always loved it on Maui.I would move to maui in a heartbeat but, the job is on Oahu.
I have only stopped over in Oahu in the airport and never had the chance to see what Oahu is like. So i have no idea what to expect on Oahu.
Is there a huge difference between Maui and Oahu?
What town best suits a family that is near Waikiki that is not over priced and tiny?
His job would be in downtown Waikiki and the only thing i have heard bad through the grapevine about Oahu is traffic. We want to live somewhere close to his work but, not where we are going to pay $3000 a month for a one bedroom apartment.
We would love to find a great condo type home/townhouse under $2000 a month, in a great neighborhood near a beach.
I also would love to be around a town that has alot of things for children to get involved with. art classes,Hula dancing classes, local pool, beach close by,parks etc.

I love having opinions from many people which can give me a better understanding and help me to find the best place possible on the island for me and my family to move. I can search the internet but, the internet will not give me first hand experiances and great advice like i feel this site can.

I would appreciate any imput given to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,533,236 times
Moving to Oahu without even a visit to check things out first is foolhardy. Maui is nothing like Oahu/Honolulu.

Watch the local news over the internet. One has a weekly feature about rental property. Yesterday's showed a "find". It was a small 3br house with a tiny yard for $2200 month.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,713,254 times
I agre with mdand3boys. Since Hawaii is different (just like NYC is different from Minot ND) you really need to get the feel and flavor of Hawaii. What may be called a averge size house on Hawaii, may be called a tiny cottage someplace else. So if your saying "A" everyone else may be seeing "D" and can't understand what your saying or talking about. That has caused many a misunderstanding.

I would stringky suggest making a quick trip, even if only for a couple of days to get an understanding of areas, locations, and distances. This way when you say "A" you can say "A like in this place or that".

as said, Maui and Oahu, especially Waikiki, have big differences.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:34 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,472,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I agre with mdand3boys. Since Hawaii is different (just like NYC is different from Minot ND) you really need to get the feel and flavor of Hawaii. What may be called a averge size house on Hawaii, may be called a tiny cottage someplace else. So if your saying "A" everyone else may be seeing "D" and can't understand what your saying or talking about. That has caused many a misunderstanding.

I would stringky suggest making a quick trip, even if only for a couple of days to get an understanding of areas, locations, and distances. This way when you say "A" you can say "A like in this place or that".

as said, Maui and Oahu, especially Waikiki, have big differences.
I agree, go there first.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,479 times
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: