Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM

145 posts, read 450,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Um... er... I meant Hawaii, the interactive video game, of course. After you experience Hawaii on your computer, then you visit. Then you move. Or something like that.
LOL - the sad part? I would TOTALLY own that video game if it were real!

Quote:
I used to love going to the Pensacola/Destin area of Florida, where I had friends who had a condo.
Our current favorite Florida vacation spot is Cape San Blas - this tiny little spit of a penninsula just about an hour east of Panama City. The beaches are stunning and snow white...without all the high rise condos that have now effectively blocked the beaches in PCB. It's like one of Florida's best kept secrets...and I kinda hope it stays that way! There's not much in the way of "night life" there and no amusement parks, and really no shopping except for one store and TWO (count 'em - two!) ice cream shops. But we love it! You can always drive up to PCB for the day if you get the urge to go shopping. We mostly just go to lay on the beach and explore the bay and state parks in the area. It's very dog friendly, too - which is important to us.

Quote:
By the way, if you do move to Hawaii, you'll want to rent before you buy (I almost typed "rent before you visit") so you can explore. Hawaii in general (and the BI in particular) has many microclimates, which isn't typical of Georgia. There are areas that get oppressively hot, and areas that are downright chilly. As a general rule, the higher up the side of Mauna Kea you get, the cooler the temperatures are, and the drier the area, the hotter the temperatures are, because the sun heats up the bare lava fields. You'll find some very cheap land prices in areas that are lava fields and/or high-risk lava-flow zones, so be careful.
Yeah, I've noticed those "super affordable" deals in like, Lava Zone 1! Uh, no thanks! I love that the BI has so much diversity to offer as far as different climates! Actually, I've go both Hilo and Kona set up on my Weather app on my iPhone and have noticed the differences you mention. Almost every single day, Hilo gets rain and is about 2 - 4 degrees cooler than Kona while Kona almost always has the sun. I think it would be amazing to drive across the island and experience so much diversity in such a relatively small space.

Quote:
Hawaii has mosquitoes, ants, and flying cockroaches, just like in the South, which is one reason Southerners feel at home.
LOL - aw, lil' Buzzy and Creepy and Bitey will be there! Just like home! Heheh! *scratches* I have read on these forums all the warnings about bugs, etc. there. I usually just LOL. I'm from Georgia, people! We have almost every variety of poisonous spider on the planet right here within our boundaries (most of them in my yard!). Bring on the centipedes! LOL!

Quote:
Seriously, much of the culture is centered around family, friends, food, relaxing, food, and conversation. (Did I mention food?) If you go to a typical barbeque with kalua pig, macaroni salad, potato salad, etc., you'll think you're at a typical Southern barbeque, except that there are more Asian dishes at the Hawaiian version.
You're making me want to be there right now!! It's good to know they share our love of endless food (lots of it with mayo in the recipe! ) and even more endless conversation. Both my husband and I are the type of people who have been accused of "never meeting a stranger" and I'm afraid it's true! Good to know the good people of Hawaii seem to embrace this approach to life. ;-)

Quote:
People who don't do well in Hawaii are type-A folks, particularly Northeasterns who are also brusque and blunt, which is seen as very rude in the Islands.
Yeah, it's considered rude here too...but we would never say it to them because, well, that would be rude...and also because they are poor Yankee's who can't help it. (I kid!)

Quote:
You know how Southerners feel about Yankees who move South and say, "That's not the way we do things up North"? It's the same for people who move to Hawaii and say, "That's not the way we do things on the Mainland." If you're respectful, easy going, and accept the fact that you're moving to a different culture and that you need to adapt to it, rather than vice versa, and if you genuinely love that culture, you'll do fine.
Yep, I know those people and I often wonder if they even visited before they drug all their belongings to Georgia. It's like...WHY did you move here if you hate it so much?? o_O

I think Hawaii and I will get along just fine. I'm certainly not a Type A. "Fashionably Late" is my modus-operandi and if you're in such a hurry, go around me - that's why God made more than one lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Well, God (and the Department of Transportation) only made one lane for most of our roads here on the Island of Hawaii but many of us slow folks pull over and let those crazy folks who think they have to be somewhere right now go on ahead. We all generally end up at the end of the road more or less at the same time but I think they feel better if they can be in front. I haven't figured it out myself, but it's easy enough to let them zoom about. It also gives them the chance to possibly donate to our state revenues if they get caught.

Are the fines for various traffic citations the same from island to island? I'm pretty sure the money goes to the state overall and not to the specific island whose officers caught and ticketed the misbehaving folks.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 AM

145 posts, read 450,885 times
Quote:
Well, God (and the Department of Transportation) only made one lane for most of our roads here on the Island of Hawaii but many of us slow folks pull over and let those crazy folks who think they have to be somewhere right now go on ahead. We all generally end up at the end of the road more or less at the same time but I think they feel better if they can be in front. I haven't figured it out myself, but it's easy enough to let them zoom about. It also gives them the chance to possibly donate to our state revenues if they get caught.
Just this morning I was passed on the road by one of my co-workers who was apparently in a much bigger hurry than I was (neither of us were anything like close to late). He blew by me, then passed several more cars - looking all frazzled and anxious the whole time. The funniest part was that we walked into the building together. All his rushing and crazy driving sure did him a lot of good.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM

125 posts, read 68,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbloominglife View Post
Just this morning I was passed on the road by one of my co-workers who was apparently in a much bigger hurry than I was (neither of us were anything like close to late). He blew by me, then passed several more cars - looking all frazzled and anxious the whole time. The funniest part was that we walked into the building together. All his rushing and crazy driving sure did him a lot of good.
But he stopped for a Latte on the way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii