Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM

94 posts, read 318,947 times

Advertisements

^I imagine he will also use the proceeds from selling his car to buy the new one.

I think the point most people are trying to make is that it is possible to just pack your bags and move, but don't expect it to be easy. In fact, expect it to be hard, and expect it to be even harder than normal until the economy shapes up.
The upside is that while the economy in Hawaii sucks, it isn't much better (and more often than not, it is worse) in the rest of the country. I'm hard pressed to think of a place, besides Detroit, worse off economically than Vegas, and you said you lived there for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM

145 posts, read 450,965 times
Quote:
^I imagine he will also use the proceeds from selling his car to buy the new one.
Right - but it's still almost certainly going to cost more than a thousand dollars to get a [reliable] used car - and he's stated that his current car is paid for AND his dream car. I just don't see the sense of NOT spending the grand shipping it.

As far as whether it's possible or not to just pack your bags and move, I'm afraid I have no point of reference to make a judgment either way on that - being I've never done it.

Good luck, OP, whatever you decide!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
As we all know it is that it is virtually impossible to line-up employment w/out being on-island nor can you effectively find living conditions w/out being here.
so, you kinda do have to just pack 'er up and settle-in once you have arrived. Don't you think?
Koale
Well he can't line up employment where he lives now, just like 10% of this country.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM

117 posts, read 144,526 times
i admit, i am not 100% into looking for job. like i said i still have money on my bank. i do know that if it lowers down to a certain amount, i will definitely be in panic mode. i do notice though that before, i just go to internet find a job, email my resume and the next day, i have a job interview and i get the job. but now, i will be lucky if i even get a reply back and asked for interview which i did recently, though i did not get the job which really sucks.

regarding my car which really is in good perfect condition, i bought it in 07 and it only has lesss than 24k miles on it. in spite of my road tripping adventure from IL to vegas,AZ,CA and back recently. my big prob is parting ways with my MINI. especially when 1 poster said if i didn't get a job there then i will spend another shipping fee to ship it back. i can't believe i even am considering living there actually since the country where i came from has the same exact weather condition. i just can't fathom dealing with snow anymore. i loathe snow and everything that comes with it now. as opposed to my excitement with seeing snow when i first got here.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 AM

145 posts, read 450,965 times
Quote:
my big prob is parting ways with my MINI.
My car is a MINI, too!!! I could not imagine wanting to part with mine either. I love my Mini.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
It is totally irresponsible to encourage anyone to move to a high-cost area
without a job in the midst of a depression, IMHO.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM

151 posts, read 559,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post

Hmmm...interesting forum. What I have learned about people is that most will do what they want whether you EN-courage or DIS-courage them.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Everywhere is high cost when you don't have a job.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM

94 posts, read 318,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbloominglife View Post
Right - but it's still almost certainly going to cost more than a thousand dollars to get a [reliable] used car - and he's stated that his current car is paid for AND his dream car. I just don't see the sense of NOT spending the grand shipping it.
I don't think you're quite getting the math here. If he ships his car, he is out $1000. If he sells his car and buys a comparable car at a comparable price in Hawaii, he breaks even, whether the car costs him $1000 or $48000. The island car would need to be worth a $1000 premium over the value of his old car for the situation you're describing to arise.

Selling the car also gives him the option of downgrading, and pocketing the difference. This may or may not be an issue.

That said, if his car is of substantial value and he has an attachment to it, $1000 is not a terrible price to pay to keep a nice car you enjoy.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:14 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,079 times
i moved to BI in august 08. we planned for over a year and half, saving and making sure everything would go as smoothly as possble. we got our 2 cats all ready in advance on schedule with the quarentine. about 2-3 weeks ahead of our plane ticket over from Tx, we shipped our toyota mini truck. it wasn't new, it wasn't in great condition, but it ran great and it was about 1,600 to ship it. After doing the math, we figured it would take us 1-2 weeks to find something on island to buy (for around 1,000-3,000 equalling what we would have sold our truck for in texas) but also 1,000 plus as a rental car within that time, to car shop, house shop and job hunt. we thought shipping it would be easier on our wallets and schedule, and it was. it arrived in Hilo the day after we did, so we rented a car for one day to go get it.
my husband works on cars, so he found a job within a week and was paid much more than he ever was in texas-also getting health insurance with he never got in texas. I found a work from home job that was based in new york. how we looked for jobs was the local news paper, craigslist and walking into places with signs. my husband had several offers. i know not everyone is in a hawai'i-demanded job like him, but as long as you are flexible i think you can find something no matter who you are. jobs here have a high turn over rate (for whatever reason). i would not encourage someone to move to hawai'i with a grain of salt. not knowing what you are getting into and not preparing and knowing the place you are moving is a horrible idea. i had visited Hawai'i multiple times and planned the move out everyday for years. it's a big decision wether you love it or hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: