Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times

Advertisements

You *can* ship a vehicle between islands, via barge. Last I heard, the cost was around $200-$250 and you can stuff the vehicle full of whatever. The rental car companies move cars from island to island all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 AM

7 posts, read 22,473 times
It will not seem practice to leave without any job. It is better to find some better job then move ahead.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 AM

117 posts, read 144,668 times
alohikea: wow i didn't know that east WA is winterless. i do know that WA state rains 365 days a year. but u said it is sunny 300 days a yr? i will sooo definitely google east WA! plus, i have always wanted to visit forks, WA. ya i am a twilighter. go Jacob! are they near?

galactica: no i've never been to HI. i always watch dog the bounty hunter though, and i know they are locationed in HI. i am pretty sure i would like it there. like i said i miss my country's weather which is very similar to HI. the people there look like asians too. but i think i would explore WA first. at least i can drive my car there.

wink: yes i am talking about superferry.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM

155 posts, read 516,672 times
People never realize that the rainy side of Washington IS A VERY SMALL PART OF WASHINGTON!!!!!! Dude look at a map seriously, Forks is way far away from here but good for a weekend drive I suppose. I didn't say we were winterless but generally we have fairly mild winters with some snow/ice but I didn't even put my studded snow tires on this winter and I got around fine. We are basically a desert but have low humidity and the hottest we get (and it's rarely at that) is maybe 1-teens. Generally 90's to low 100's on the hottest days.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM

155 posts, read 516,672 times
and Wink I think there still is a ferry between islands just Maui/Molokai/Lanai

Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,376 times
ok, you may REALLY want to reconsider Hawai'i if you think Dog the Bounty Hunter is an accurate reprisentation! From Big Island that show may as well be filmed half way across the globe!

Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
The Superferry died. There is still a passenger ferry service between Maui, Molokai and Lanai, though, I think.

You can not ride with your car on the barges between the islands but it's pretty inexpensive to ship stuff inter-island.

It sounds like a good idea to try Washington state first before trying to relocate across over two thousand miles of ocean. Hawaii is one of the most remote spots on the planet so it is particularly difficult to get things moved to and from there.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
Could also try Texas or Florida. I don't know about Florida but Texas's economy is one of the best right now. 30F in the winter is too cold for me though.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,349 times
Evofreaks, until you mentioned Dog the Bounty Hunter and the state looking like it has lots of Asians, the only thing you'd been talking about that draws you to Hawaii is the warm climate. Your questions suggest that you haven't yet done much research on the state. Climate alone isn't a good reason to move to Hawaii, IMO. Florida has a similar climate, but the two states couldn't be more different culturally. From your comments, though, I'm guessing you're from a tropical Southeast Asian country originally -- in which case, Hawaii is likely to be a good fit for you, because of the heavy Asian influence. But I urge you to do more research before you just pick up and move. This forum is a good place to start -- read through old threads that catch your interest. I also highly recommend Skip Thomsen's book Affordable Living in Hawaii. I found it to be pretty accurate about the east side of the Big Island, which is the book's focus.

If a warm, tropical climate is your primary concern, then southern Florida might be worth a try. You can drive there, and if you don't like it, you can drive away (no shipping of your car is necessary). Southern California is warm (not tropical), but also expensive. After that, you start talking about relative degrees of "mild," because most of the rest of the country has at least some cold winter days. The South has many nice, mild, relatively inexpensive areas to live in. The Gulf coast and southeast Atlantic coast have hot, humid, tropical summers and mild winters, with snow being rare. The Pacific Northwest is mild, but there are lots of cloudy, rainy days. East of the Cascade Mountains, it's drier and sunnier, but also hotter in the summer and (sometimes) colder in the winter.

Wherever you choose, I wish you luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,967 times
Has the job market in Oahu improved at all since the last forum post? I am looking to make the move late January and sending out resume now. I have an MBA and an electronics degree and am wondering whether there is hiring in these fields or if the only real employment is in the higher turn over tourist jobs.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: