Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:38 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,385,736 times

Advertisements

Wonderful trip report. I want to zip line so bad!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 AM

145 posts, read 451,809 times
WOW! Sounds like an awesome, adventuresome time, Toots! But...when did you sleep, woman??

Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 AM

18,951 posts, read 11,616,882 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I'll get another post or two on here later with details about transportation, people, FOOD, clothes, packing, aloha/paradise, facts/fictions as it applied to this trip.

To address some of your comments now...

Took plenty of lava pics - including a number showing how one small area completely morphed within half an hour. Other pics too but my husband has most of the pics so will need to wait a bit for those since he's still in Hawaii for work.

Bird, when you're running from the authorities, sometimes things get left behind. People living in Hawaii wear flip flops everywhere and call them slippahs (slippers). Many are sturdier, more stylish looking flip flops than the flimsy plastic ones we get at the drugstore here on the mainland. Funniest footwear moments: multiple times seeing visiting Japanese women of all ages trekking through the mucky-floored rainforest and uneven-terrained parklands/craters wearing high healed sandals!

Sleep/relax - Didn't spend much time on the beach even though we visited several of them. That was one of our regrets - that we didn't have even more time to just chill together - no regrets for how we did choose to spend the time, though Totally need to rest up! Jet lag hit me hard on the return (not at all on the way there). In fact, my sleep schedule is still off today (Thursday) and I got back Saturday! We did a lot of activities that started early in the morning. That worked well because we were tired earlier than usual in the evening so we went to bed before 11 and were up before 6 naturally.

cynmkolohe - That's always the way - I lived in DC for years before going in the washington monument and other sites!

KoaKine - Not sure when we'll be back but we both want to return to the Big Island - especially Volcanoes and to see the East coast. We'd also love to visit Maui or Kauai. Not as interested in returning to Oahu - Waikiki/Honolulu aren't really our thing and, even though the East coast/North shore were so gorgeous, we expect there are just as lovely, if not more lovely, places to see on the other islands.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,686,226 times
wow........what a trip toosie.....what a trip. Thanks for posting

Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
Gack! One of these days that volcano is gonna eat someone! Cracks with hot flowing lava underneath are NOT SAFE! Whole ledges of lava fall off the cliff side into the ocean. I'm glad you survived but don't do it again! Sacrifice a whole bottle of vodka in Pele's honor for not sucking you under that lava. Sheesh! Otherwise, it sounds like you had a great trip. Zip lines and all!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Gack! One of these days that volcano is gonna eat someone! Cracks with hot flowing lava underneath are NOT SAFE! Whole ledges of lava fall off the cliff side into the ocean. I'm glad you survived but don't do it again! Sacrifice a whole bottle of vodka in Pele's honor for not sucking you under that lava. Sheesh! Otherwise, it sounds like you had a great trip. Zip lines and all!
I should have said hot oozing lava, not flowing - the crack was back farther in the field - not on the sea bench We entered from the ocean side but I specifically said I wasn't comfortable going down to the ocean entry or even too close to the edge on the old bench that had all that heavy new flow on it. Thank you for your concern - I was too!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,637 times
What a great write up - thanks for the follow through on the trip. Hope to see you post some pictures.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 PM

124 posts, read 327,153 times
Great trip report! It was a delight to read -- I am SO happy you guys had a good time! And I agree with you about fitting in all the sightseeing and activities... it's the only way to do it -- my husband and I are the same way! Your trip sounds a little like ours. I can't imagine spending a vacation in Hawaii sitting by a pool or just on a beach, but that's just me.

I have to give you props for your local tour of the lava. I was a little nervous walking anywhere after the people on our helicopter tour told us that people walking out on the lava fields have fallen through before and broken ankles, or worse. How cool that you got to see all of that at night!

I'm glad you got to see Hawi too... the zipline sounded awesome -- what a perfect place to do that!

Also have to agree with you about Oahu... I was deeply moved and yet was also surprised about how irreverent/ unmoved some people were at the Arizona Memorial... while we were on the boat out there, the guy behind us actually tried to use his cell phone even though they tell you about 15 times NOT to use it on the boat or the memorial. When they made him put it away, he complained loudly. I thought for a moment that my husband (who is also prior military - USMC) was going to turn around and, uh, confiscate the phone, to phrase it politely... but he didn't. He gave the guy a look that packed a punch, though.

I also found the east coast of Oahu the most "picturesque" place we saw... probably loved the activities on the B.I more and that's where we would go if we return since we have relatives (and made several acquaintances through them) living there.

Anyway, loved hearing your report! And I echo the others who said you should post some pictures!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,394,181 times
Toosie - so glad you had a great time. I used to live in Kealakekua. Know all the places you went. It was beautiful this week, too, Not a lot of Vog (volcanic smog) - so the air smelled soft and like plumerias. I was on Oahu this trip. We probably passed each other in the Airport. I arrived on the 14th, left on the 19th. Hey - on behalf of Hawaii people everywhere, thanks for visiting and leaving some kala (money)!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM

I hear ya, I hear ya - pics, pics, pics LOL. I looked at the pics from my camera and they bite but I might size some and upload a few since it'll be so long til I get the ones from my husband.

Meadow, I bet your husband was ready to confiscate that phone into one of the guys orifices

Cowgirl, I was happy to drop some kala in the islands - it was well worth it! Glad you had a good trip too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii