Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 PM

109 posts, read 410,711 times

Advertisements

I'm a little confused....if Continental Airlines wants a health certificate no more than 10 days and Hawaii wants you to send it in the mail before you arrive and not hand carry.....do I purchase two health certificates for each dog? Or does either one except a copy of the health certificate?

I think I would rather hand carry the health certificate....anyone out there do it this way?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,599,482 times
Aloha,

I know very well what kind of stress your going through.

The DOA only ants the Teeter test they do not want a health cert. they want the permit 30 days before you fly out there so that they will have all their ducks in a row. The 30 days is for any mail mix ups it give you time to correct any mistakes and time to mail it back.
The airlines are required to have a health cert. for the animal to fly. The DOA does not care about the health of the animal just cares if it has rabies. Airlines want it for legal reasons .

after you get the pass test from your vet you get your permit then 10 days before you fly get your health cert then fly.

Any more questions just ask

Koa

Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,724,273 times
Call quarantine and ask them. You are required to have a health certificate completed within 14 days of arrival, but some said they didn't get one. Since there is a contradiction on what is needed, when, and how to present paperwork, call and get it direct from the horses mouth. It could be that since most arrive by a airline, you have to have a certificate for them, so Hawaii may be lax on that, but its best to have the people who have the last word tell you what you need. It also may be that some places outside the US do not have seperate rabies certificates only health certificates. So that may be accepted if the rabbies vaccine is listed

Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,932,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Aloha,

I know very well what kind of stress your going through.

The DOA only ants the Teeter test they do not want a health cert. they want the permit 30 days before you fly out there so that they will have all their ducks in a row. The 30 days is for any mail mix ups it give you time to correct any mistakes and time to mail it back.
The airlines are required to have a health cert. for the animal to fly. The DOA does not care about the health of the animal just cares if it has rabies. Airlines want it for legal reasons .

after you get the pass test from your vet you get your permit then 10 days before you fly get your health cert then fly.

Any more questions just ask

Koa
Have traveled back and forth with dog also ... Koa is basically correct, except that the DOA does also want the Health Certificate ... but just when you arrive for a quick superficial check ... they don't need it before-hand ... they DO require the rabies certificate in advance ... DOA also checks for "critters" (fleas and ticks and other obvious parasites) and this is part of your gaining a Health Cert. in advance ... your mainland vet is supposed to check for "critters" and advise you before you fly out if you need to clear the dog of the pests. The Health Cert. is pretty nearly a no-brainer. The rabies is the long, expensive, critical process.

woof

Old 05-21-2010, 11:07 PM

Ok, so I think I'm understanding......they don't want the health cert. included in the other paperwork and money that I'm sending them 30 days in advance. I need to go back and read everything again. I don't remember the 30 days. We fly out on June 23rd....it's almost 30 days and I haven't sent anything in. Having a heart attack! I can overnight on Monday.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,932,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDDS View Post
Ok, so I think I'm understanding......they don't want the health cert. included in the other paperwork and money that I'm sending them 30 days in advance. I need to go back and read everything again. I don't remember the 30 days. We fly out on June 23rd....it's almost 30 days and I haven't sent anything in. Having a heart attack! I can overnight on Monday.
Pacific is right ... you can and should (absolutely) call in person first thing on Monday ... my experience with the folks at the department in Hawaii has been excellent ... they are very helpful and pleasant about it ... my dog is a service animal, but I am sure the people I have talked to would be just as helpful/nice about a pet.

I assume you have already, in hand, your rabies work up? Shots, certificate, test results (from Kansas?)? And your dog has an i.d. micro-chip implant? You are arriving from mainland U.S.?

If AFDDS means you are Air Force (and especially if your visit/move is duty-connected), you can also contact the veterinary clinic at Hickam for info and assistance. http://hickamservices.com/vet-clinic.asp

Bottom-line: completely strict rules and system -- no exceptions! -- but very good department personnel in Hawaii to work with.

woof

Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 AM

Yep...Nulleo, I have all the steps done except filling out and notarizing the entrance paperwork and of course the health cert. I will fill out everything and overnight paperwork and money on Tuesday. I will call on Monday and ask about the health cert. copies. I will be so glad when this is all over with. Too many steps ........and too much stress.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM

229 posts, read 931,245 times
FWIW, when we moved our golden retriever in December, we sent all the documents + money order (except the health certificate) by registered mail. Hubby checked with them by email to make sure they had everything they needed and told them at that time that he would hand-carry the health cert., because the airlines need it, too. We printed out a copy of every email correspondence we had with them, just in case there were questions.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Thank you for posting....that reply was just the info I needed!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:44 PM

229 posts, read 931,245 times
Sorry I missed your post earlier. Good luck with your move--and don't forget to fly first class!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii