Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM

206 posts, read 466,727 times

Advertisements

If your MD told said that you developed diabetes from being a vegan, then obviously he wasn't following sound scientific research, which shows the opposite--that vegans are 68% less likely to be diabetic, and that vegan and vegetarian diets are beneficial for diabetes. Perhaps if you were constantly eating vegan pastries and other junk food, that could be an issue, but simply not eating animal products won't give you diabetes. Gabriel Cousens has a great book about reversing diabetes through a low fat vegan diet utilizing high amounts of greens like you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Hotz - Do you grow a particular variety?

My cherry tomato plants did great last year...This year, I put a couple of small starts (from a friend, so I don't know what type) in the ground in the same place. One is doing well. The other two were knocked over by my cats, so I tossed them in the corner of the compost box.

Came back a few weeks later to discover that one of those is a few feet high and doing better than the one I planted under the eaves of the house! Since I'm not in Hilo much right now, I moved the finished compost out and decided to let the plant grow. I'm thinking I'll make this into a planter box for a while...it's behind the carport and out of the way, so a good place to experiment!

The compost box tomato <= My SO sent this pic from his cell phone while he was in Hilo this weekend.
Aloha Cynmkolohe,

When I planted a whole lot of tomatoes, the variety was "Celebrity" since it's a hybrid and resistant to a whole slew of things. When it's just a small amount of tomatoes, then I'll pick and choose all sorts of different ones usually the open pollinated heirloom ones. For awhile I was saving seeds, but they got lost during the house move so now it's starting all over again. At least until the seeds show up again.

I'm thinking perhaps the next tomato to plant in the new garden should be Roma since that is fairly resistant to fruit flies and has good flavor. Technically it's a paste tomato but it works good on sandwiches and salads anyway.

It must be about time to plant again, I'm feeling the need for Scarlet Runner Beans! There is a fence over there looking pretty bare, covered with leafy green leaves with lovely red flowers would spruce the fence up to no end. Fixing the nitrogen in the soil and providing tasty beans to eat and flowers for salad are a plus, too! Edible landscaping.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
If your MD told said that you developed diabetes from being a vegan, then obviously he wasn't following sound scientific research, which shows the opposite--that vegans are 68% less likely to be diabetic, and that vegan and vegetarian diets are beneficial for diabetes. Perhaps if you were constantly eating vegan pastries and other junk food, that could be an issue, but simply not eating animal products won't give you diabetes. Gabriel Cousens has a great book about reversing diabetes through a low fat vegan diet utilizing high amounts of greens like you do.
Hello Vaedrem!

No, my doc didn't tell me much of anything, my own research did.

As for pastries and other non-veggie 'treats,' nope, I don't touch 'em, not even bread . (Whole grain bread contains 27 carbs per slice ).

The occasional departure notwithstanding, I lived on fruit, veggies, and grains - no meat, soy, or dairy, and I felt terrific - until I found out, quite by accident, that I had crossed the line.

To be fair though, I developed pregnancy-induced hypoglycemia with my eighth child, and had four close calls over the next couple of decades. Hypoglycemia is just the flip side of diabetes, so I don't think we can blame my present status entirely on a vegan diet, hormones come into play too, but eating carbs as a way of life isn't... wise.

Upwards of 70% of N. Americans are either diabetic or pre-diabetic - and don't know it. I have a 'warning' book coming out next July, God Willing (I don't have time to release anything else before then), as it's time we educated the medical profession so those who are pre-diabetic don't further deteriorate, and those who are diabetic can reverse the damage done.

Are you a medical professional?

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 771 times
Hawaii is a tropical savannah with daylight between 11-14 hours a day and thanks to the Pacific High that is around for most of the year, blest with the cooling tradewinds and the usual windward and mauka showers. There are two seasons, one is wetr the other is dry. In El Nino years the seasons can turn around with wetter summers and drier winters. Most days the temperature is in the 80's with it getting up into the 90's and 100's in the low lying Leeward areas in August and September. It is usually muggy too because the Pacific High usually moves away and the winds turn more southern (Kona weather with hot muggy days and vog). In the upper elevations of Maui and the Big Island the microclimates do allow more cool growing crops to be grown successfully like lavender, cool growing cymbidiums, protea, apples, peaches, apricots, and cherries to name a few. For the most part cool season crops like cabbages, greens, lettuce, beets, carrots, daikon, parsley, mustards grow better in the cooler months October - May. During this time peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, and beans will grow but they don't produce many new flowers when the days get shorter. Shiso will bolt with the onset of short cool days. Corn can be grown year round if you grow the Hawaiian sweet corn. Mainland corn needs to be grown in summer. Hawaiian corn is tropical and will set with a shorter day (11-12 hours), but they will grow slower and take longer to mature. Some cool season crops that take a long time to grow like Broccoli and Brussels' sprouts can be planted at the end of summer as long as they mature during the cooler months. Carrots like to be planted Jan-May when they will be the sweetest. Jicama needs 150 days of heat so needs to be planted in March and harvested at the end of summer. The warm season crops do better planted March-June, but heat, disease and resistance to nematodes is a must to be successful. Some plants that are annuals in the mainland can be short lived perennials here as it is disease and not frost that kills them. Unfortunately, the good weather for most of the year usually means that there is no time off for pests and disease so resistance is a good thing. Build up the garden patrol of beneficial insects and avoid plants that attract pests as much as possible and you do have to be vigilent. Take some time off June- August. Enjoy the harvest and make friends with folks who have lychee, mango and avocado trees. After the harvest, do some clean up, solarize the beds and head for the beach or the movies to cool off.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,812 times
And watch out in Maui now, you can get fined by the county for planing non-GMO papayas!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 AM

Maui County fines people for planting NON GMO papayas? All the papayas on Maui are GMO? That's totally screwed up.

If I lived on Maui, I'd get non-GMO papayas and give them to everyone going on a hike so they could eat them along the way. Of course, if they tossed the seeds aside, that wouldn't really be planting them, now would it?

How big of a presence does Monsato have on Maui? Quite a big one, I'd expect.

Is there any particular reason as to why they came up with this asinine idea to fine people for planting papayas?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
And watch out in Maui now, you can get fined by the county for planing non-GMO papayas!
Do you have a source?

Personally, GMO crops to me at least have a better taste. I thought papaya couldn't grow naturally due to ringspot anyway.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you have a source?

Personally, GMO crops to me at least have a better taste. I thought papaya couldn't grow naturally due to ringspot anyway.
Lot of rumors flying around. Sooo, I'm looking into it. I'm taking Agriculture classes @ UHMC, starts in a few weeks. Classes include, but not limited to, " Beekeeping", "Pesticides", and a "Papaya" class. Supposedly the bees travel around therefore pollinate both GMO plants and Non GMO plants and so nothing is truly GMO free....well, should be interesting.
I have a lot to learn. I ordered a "Flow-Hive" (Bee-Hive) from Australia. Want to keep pesticides on the property to a minimum, as not to kill the bees.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

Sure... Not to mention what they fine folks for being cannibals.

But, if you're actually 'planing' your papayas, then you're modifying them anyways, just after the fact.

Hope this helps,,,, uurrrpppp, po'o kukae

Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 PM

It will bee interesting to see if the Flow Hive works, let us know how it goes. I've been wanting a top bar hive for awhile, but we don't eat enough honey to make it economically reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii