Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

When I travel to another state to visit I wonder if I need medical care if BC & BS of Tennessee will pay my 80/20 like it does in Tennessee? Someone told me it only pays 50/50 which could cost me big money.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Do you have Medicare supplement - or are you under 65 and is yours a PPO BCBS plan?

If you are on a Medicare supplement, you are covered in any state. If you are on a BCBS Medicare Advantage plan, you need to remain in-network except for ER visits. Many Advantage plans allow out-of-network ER visits when out-of-state.

If you are not on Medicare and if you see doctors out-of-network anywhere on a PPO, you may be subject to higher charges - you don't necessarily have to be out-of-state.

Call your plan's 800 no. CS and ask if you can't find your documents.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:43 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Generally speaking, the 80/20 rule is limited by policy language which says that it applies to "reasonable and customary" charges for medical treatment. The reasonable and customary charges for medical care will vary considerably from Mississippi to New York. I have learned this hard way. Sometimes, after your insurance pays for out-of-state treatment, you may get a bill that is larger than you expect. You can negotiate with the provider and sometimes, they will reduce charges. It is a pain in the butt and one more reason why the USA really needs a single payer health insurance system.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Generally speaking, the 80/20 rule is limited by policy language which says that it applies to "reasonable and customary" charges for medical treatment. The reasonable and customary charges for medical care will vary considerably from Mississippi to New York. I have learned this hard way. Sometimes, after your insurance pays for out-of-state treatment, you may get a bill that is larger than you expect. You can negotiate with the provider and sometimes, they will reduce charges. It is a pain in the butt and one more reason why the USA really needs a single payer health insurance system.
The 80/20 language refers to coverage IN NETWORK. If the doctor you see in New York or Mississippi is in network, they CAN'T bill you for above what insurance pays. If that happened to you, report that doctor to your insurance company since they signed a contract with that provider to provide in-network patients coverage at that cost. It's insurance fraud, plain and simple. If they were NOT in network, they can charge you whatever you want.

John--the best answer is "maybe". Look on your provider website to see if there are doctors or clinics in the area you are in that are in-network. Make sure you only use those doctors if you need medical care. They may even have a smartphone app that helps you locate doctors. I had to get medical treatment out of state, looked up in-network doctors before I went in, everything was paid just like I went to my doctor down the street.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times
I'm to young for Medicare because I'm only 52. I had a lady that went from Tennessee to Michigan and had to go to a hospital and she said her BC&BS of Tennessee only paid half of the bill.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm to young for Medicare because I'm only 52. I had a lady that went from Tennessee to Michigan and had to go to a hospital and she said her BC&BS of Tennessee only paid half of the bill.
That hospital might not have been in your network. If she had an emergency, however, most insurance plans will pay for care anywhere like they are in network. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now, if you have an HMO type plan, getting care paid for out of state or out of your area is very difficult.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,803 times
You need to call your benefits customer service for the correct answer. The 800 number will be on the back of your card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance