Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 19,652 times

Advertisements

I signed up for Obamacare end of last year.

Recently, I got a letter from NJFamilyCare saying:

"Now that you are on Medicaid you are required to enroll in an HMO..."

My question is, what does that mean?

Am I covered, and what is covered and what do I have to pay? Is there a monthly premium? I haven't seen anything that breaks down the costs of co-payments and premiums for any of the HMOs.

I have read some stuff that makes it sound like it will be more expensive that what I pay for health insurance now (bare bones EPO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:21 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,358,652 times
What they are saying is that you have to now enroll in a medicaid managed care plan. Basically, you will be trading in your medicaid coverage for an insurance policy. The government will pay the HMO on a monthly basis to administer your care in a more efficient and costly manner. Here is a link to a medicaid managed care company that I used to work for. There are dozens and dozens of similar companies though so make sure you pick one that operates in your state or residence and has a good doctor network nearby.

https://www.wellcare.com/

Remember the key word in your search needs to be medicaid managed care. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 AM

12 posts, read 19,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
What they are saying is that you have to now enroll in a medicaid managed care plan. Basically, you will be trading in your medicaid coverage for an insurance policy. The government will pay the HMO on a monthly basis to administer your care in a more efficient and costly manner. Here is a link to a medicaid managed care company that I used to work for. There are dozens and dozens of similar companies though so make sure you pick one that operates in your state or residence and has a good doctor network nearby.

https://www.wellcare.com/

Remember the key word in your search needs to be medicaid managed care. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response.

What will my monthly premium be, say with that HMO, what would it have been?

Does it vary by applicant? That is the part that is confusing me.

Or will the HMO give me that info when I choose a plan.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,358,652 times
With Wellcare it would have been free on your part. You will have to call various companies though to see if premiums are attached to any of the plans. If there is a premium involved I expect your provider network and benefits to increase.

Also be aware that medicaid managed care plans often omit benefits for certain conditions to provide more benefits for another health area. Lets say you have arthritis, but have a healthy heart. You will want to pick a plan that provides good benefits for arthritis and that omits coverage for heart problems.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM

7,539 posts, read 13,719,661 times
It looks like you need to start at this St of NJ website to see what Medicaid plans are available in NJ.
Department of Human Services | NJ FamilyCare Health Plans

Not all plans are available in all NJ counties. Find which ones cover your county, then look them up on the provided links, or call them directly for answers to your questions.

Good Luck

Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,834,227 times
Thats interesting. Is Medicaid run like a Medicare Advantage plan equivalent?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 PM

7,539 posts, read 13,719,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Thats interesting. Is Medicaid run like a Medicare Advantage plan equivalent?
In New Jersey it is. See Department of Human Services | NJ Medicaid & Managed Care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance