Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

For weeks I've been trying to get through and see some Health insurance plans on healthcare.gov with no success. The website is just awful, I filled out the application form countless times and it would bomb out towards the end with errors.

So I got fed up and called the 866 number and got connected to a very nice lady on the other end and she was able to get me filed and shop for a Healthcare plan in the marketplace.

The reason I am going through them because my employer decided to get rid of all the current plans and offer only 1 plan and it cost a lot of $$ Our family healthcare insurance went up by as much as $500/month in just one year. It already went up by $300/month the previous year.

Such leap in price changes is very frustrating.

I selected a Silver tier policy with a $5000 deductible and cost $400 less than my employer plan essentially paying about the same price that I was paying last year.

It's amazing how fast the cost of healthcare is rising and our incomes have not risen this fast.

So word of advice for those applying online, you have til 3/31 to enroll and it's better you call them and if you already have an application the website. Tell them your Application ID just to make things go through quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 02:02 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
For weeks I've been trying to get through and see some Health insurance plans on healthcare.gov with no success. The website is just awful, I filled out the application form countless times and it would bomb out towards the end with errors.

So I got fed up and called the 866 number and got connected to a very nice lady on the other end and she was able to get me filed and shop for a Healthcare plan in the marketplace.

The reason I am going through them because my employer decided to get rid of all the current plans and offer only 1 plan and it cost a lot of $$ Our family healthcare insurance went up by as much as $500/month in just one year. It already went up by $300/month the previous year.

Such leap in price changes is very frustrating.

I selected a Silver tier policy with a $5000 deductible and cost $400 less than my employer plan essentially paying about the same price that I was paying last year.

It's amazing how fast the cost of healthcare is rising and our incomes have not risen this fast.

So word of advice for those applying online, you have til 3/31 to enroll and it's better you call them and if you already have an application the website. Tell them your Application ID just to make things go through quicker.
Yes this is good advice. As long as you have the policy picked out that you think you want, and all the information at hand that they need concerning income if you are getting a subsidy, then they can input it for you. They are not supposed to give you advise, but can answer questions as to the differences among the policies and any other questions where you may not be sure how to answer on line.

I assume you did not purchase an exchange plan? As it is my understanding that if your employer offers an ACA compliment plan, as long as it does not exceed 9 1/2% of your annual income, then you can not purchase and exchange plan. If it exceeds that amount, then you are able to. I am curious. What % of the premium does your employer pay and what % do you pay. It seems unusual if the company pays even 50% of a plan, that you could purchase one cheaper. It must be a very inclusive policy your company has.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:35 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:

The State of NY is running its own exchange. There have been others here complaining about the New York exchange. Since you are in New York, healthcare.gov won't even take an application from you, but redirects you to the NYS exchange. Healthcare.gov has been doing redirects to state exchange websites since it first began. Are you sure you were applying through healthcare.gov ????

The federal exchange for states not running their own exchanges, healthcare.gov, is running pretty well on the front end these days and each day finds new additions and improvements.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-19-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Yes this is good advice. As long as you have the policy picked out that you think you want, and all the information at hand that they need concerning income if you are getting a subsidy, then they can input it for you. They are not supposed to give you advise, but can answer questions as to the differences among the policies and any other questions where you may not be sure how to answer on line.

I assume you did not purchase an exchange plan? As it is my understanding that if your employer offers an ACA compliment plan, as long as it does not exceed 9 1/2% of your annual income, then you can not purchase and exchange plan. If it exceeds that amount, then you are able to. I am curious. What % of the premium does your employer pay and what % do you pay. It seems unusual if the company pays even 50% of a plan, that you could purchase one cheaper. It must be a very inclusive policy your company has.
My employer's new HC premium per monthly price is around 12% of my monthly pretax paycheck. Which is of ridiculous. The lady from healthcare.gov did run my numbers from accessing my prior tax info and that's where I got the 12% from.

I think some people may have a sticker shock from the prices but for me, it's cheaper than what's being offered and it's an option for those who are getting hit by higher cost or if you don't have a job it's better than CORBRA.

I received an email afterwards that my application has been sent to the Marketplace Healthcare insurance provider and they will be send me enrollment material in April.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
The lady from healthcare.gov did run my numbers from accessing my prior tax info and that's where I got the 12% from.

I received an email afterwards that my application has been sent to the Marketplace Healthcare insurance provider and they will be send me enrollment material in April.
I just went to healthcare.gov and got a redirect to:

https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

Couldn't even get a quote for NYS from healthcare.gov.

I think you're talking to an NYS exchange person.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-19-2014 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I just went to healthcare.gov and got a redirect to:

https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

Couldn't even get a quote for NYS from healthcare.gov.

I think you're talking to an NYS exchange person.
The lady I spoke to is from the Missisippi call center for Healthcare.gov. Check the number listed on the website and then chose need assistance.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The lady I spoke to is from the Missisippi call center for Healthcare.gov. Check the number listed on the website and then chose need assistance.
Oh, so you're not applying in NY. Your profile says NYC. Indeed, MS is not running its own exchange.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,356 times
Quote:
My employer's new HC premium per monthly price is around 12% of my monthly pretax paycheck. Which is of ridiculous. The lady from healthcare.gov did run my numbers from accessing my prior tax info and that's where I got the 12% from.

I think some people may have a sticker shock from the prices but for me, it's cheaper than what's being offered and it's an option for those who are getting hit by higher cost or if you don't have a job it's better than CORBRA.

So, I'm trying to connect the dots here. Either your employer policy is quite pricey, or it is just over the 9 1/2% which allows you to go to the exchange for a policy. However, if the employer is paying a portion (even 50%) than it should still should be cheaper than you purchasing a policy yourself and paying 100%, unless you are eligible for a subsidy, which then makes sense. In fact the Silver Policy (depending on your income) has cost sharing subsidies as well and premium subsidies. Is that the case?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 PM

713 posts, read 1,462,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
So, I'm trying to connect the dots here. Either your employer policy is quite pricey, or it is just over the 9 1/2% which allows you to go to the exchange for a policy. However, if the employer is paying a portion (even 50%) than it should still should be cheaper than you purchasing a policy yourself and paying 100%, unless you are eligible for a subsidy, which then makes sense. In fact the Silver Policy (depending on your income) has cost sharing subsidies as well and premium subsidies. Is that the case?
wow, 9.5% of gross is the threshold? wholly crud batman, fed thinks its ok for someone making say just 60,000/yr gross to pay up to $475/mo on HC premiums?! hmmm, i thought ACA was supposed to address this high costs HC issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance