Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,770,411 times

Advertisements

If regulators approve the recently announced mega-deals in which Aetna, Inc. would buy Humana Inc. and Anthem Inc. would buy Cigna Corp., will consumers benefit? Or will the winners be limited primarily to the executives and shareholders of the companies involved?

Health Insurance Mergers Make Executives Richer, Policyholders Poorer*|*Wendell Potter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM

13,176 posts, read 21,234,178 times
I bet many do not realize that THEY ARE shareholders in those companies and benefit when those stock prices rise. Almost every 401K invest in the health insurance industry and many mutual funds are heavy into health care because they pay so well. I know its fashionable for people to moan and groan over profits shareholders of insurance companies make, but they need to realize they are really looking into a mirror when they complain!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,143,986 times
I'm going to bet that at least one of those mergers doesn't happen in the end, but we will see.

I think the biggest thing missed with the ACA was not requiring health insurance companies to be not-for-profit, but they didn't ask me . In states that require health insurance companies to be not for profit, the overall premiums are consistently the lowest in the country.

Either way, people seem to forget that these are still businesses and they SHOULD be making money, not to mention the huge reserves they are required to maintain, which is a good thing. I would be every single person that is against insurance companies would balk if their neighbors or co-workers told them that they made too much money and that they should have to give them some of their earnings to make it "fair"....

Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,162,823 times
It was bound to happen; have you seen the ACA .Its a huge volume of regulation. The cheapest way to operate is to merge because its added a lot of regulations. Even government that created it does not fully understand it which causes a lot of confusion. but then any time you deal with government you often get several different answer f rom different officals; so nothing new there. Look at most government programs and you see they farm out the control because they do not have the experience to do the work. Thebiggest mistake and it was intentional was not creating a nation program with across state sells making a more competitive market place for consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance