Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 AM

10,260 posts, read 6,350,240 times

Advertisements

I wonder how this will affect my husband. He is collecting full Social Security, but has declined Part B because he is still working and is covered by his employer's health insurance.

He is going to retire in the Spring of 2016 which means that he will elect Medicare Part B (and D) at that time. Supposedly, there is no late penalty for Part B if still working and covered under a private plan.

He is already getting a Social Security check. So would his check be deducted by the new rates in 2016? Our income with him working is under that $170,000.

I have had my Medicare Part B taken out of my Social Security for the past year, so I would fall under that "hold harmless" clause, but my husband could be paying more than I am simply for the penalty of having employer insurance and declining Part B for a year, for which there isn't supposed to be a penalty in the first place? When he did become eligible for Medicare, I told him to DROP his employer coverage and go with Medicare instead because it was a lot cheaper. He refused. Hopefully, he won't be paying the penalty for that now.

I wonder what will happen to people in my husband's situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times
New enrolees w / o SS pay the new base Part B or new surcharges based on 2014 income MAGI
Based on my understanding
Even at 150aonyh it is a good deal IMP

Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,556,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I wonder how this will affect my husband. He is collecting full Social Security, but has declined Part B because he is still working and is covered by his employer's health insurance.

Hopefully, he won't be paying the penalty for that now.
It is not a penalty. It is a change in premium for new enrollees. That means anyone reaching Medicare age next year, those who delayed enrollment for whatever reason, and more.

Short answer is he pays the higher premium unless he enrolls and has his first Part B payment deducted from SS in December, latest.

Again, the subject has to beat to death, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...g-our-way.html

with discussion of all possible scenarios:

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-03-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:43 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,934,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The people who are going to get hit with this the most are the newly eligible for Medicare at 65, but too young to collect full Social Security benefits until 66. Donut hole if you can call it.

The first year's worth of Part B Premiums has to be paid for by the beneficiary when it cannot be taken out of a Social Security check.

This just proves the point that the ages for both should be the same, both at 65.
I don't see that it proves that point at all. You are paying your Part B premium anyway, whether you write a check for it or whether you receive a reduced Social Security benefit because it is taken out of that check. It's all the same.

A useful analogy would be items which get deducted from our checks while we are still working. Union dues are one example. If they are deducted automatically we are simply less aware of them compared to writing a check for them, but they still cost us exactly the same amount of money either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance