Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:20 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,521,202 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with Medigap

Plan F

or

Plan G

seems the only difference is with Plan G you still pay the $147 deductible. They both seem to cover a lot and might be worth the small difference. Currently A & B premium is $105 and F or G range around the $160 range, so for $55 more a month seems like a good deal.

I am in good health and do not need drug coverage.

Would like to hear comments and suggestions on both.
I currently have A & B and thinking of adding to them for more coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 11:25 PM

just found this thread with all my answers.

Medicare or Medicare Advantage?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:14 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,516,335 times
One caveat, since Plan F will be discontinued in 2020, there is concern those grandfathered may be subject to higher premium increases after 2020, as those in the plan will be getting older and sicker.

So, get Plan G, instead. You will pay the Part B deductible ($223 in 2016) and after that the plan pays everything, just like Medigap F.

Thread on the issue, here:

Effect of Congress Bill H.R.2 on Medigap Plans C & F

Old 10-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
One caveat, since Plan F will be discontinued in 2020, there is concern those grandfathered may be subject to higher premium increases after 2020, as those in the plan will be getting older and sicker.

So, get Plan G, instead. You will pay the Part B deductible ($223 in 2016) and after that the plan pays everything, just like Medigap F.

Thread on the issue, here:

Effect of Congress Bill H.R.2 on Medigap Plans C & F

Thanks great info

I guess I am dazed and confused, still cannot find where to compare plan G from different providers cost online?

I also am just guessing that when I find a plan G, for example for $165 that is the total, which includes the current $105 I pay for A & B, or is it in addition to the A & B, so the total would either be $165, or a combination of the two for $270?

Also do I pay the monthly premium directly to the company or is it automatically taken out of my SS check???

Last edited by BestintheWest; 10-04-2015 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
I guess I am dazed and confused, still cannot find where to compare plan G from different providers cost online?

Also do I pay the monthly premium directly to the company or is it automatically taken out of my SS check???
You can't compare costs online, generally. You need to contact an insurance broker who deals with Medicare plans in your area - or make individual calls to the insurance companies.

You pay insurance company directly, either through check or ACH charge to your checking. My Medigap carrier allows credit card payment, so I do it that way in order to get the cashback.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:48 PM

Henceforth, let's keep all your Qs to one thread. This from the other thread:

Quote:
where do you go online to look for Plan F, Plan G and or High deductible plans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Quote:
went to the link and apparently no high deductible for Plan G?
Quote:
so, Mutual of Omaha has a Plan G, this is the quote

Plan G

$142.64* per month

$1,711.68* per year

That is the total cost and includes my current A & B cost, or is it $142.64 a month plus my current $105????????

Sorry for being so stupid when it comes to this, but it seems very confusing.
Quote:
It's $142.64/mo. PLUS $105. You must pay Part B premium of $105 - whether you enroll in a Medigap or Medicare Advantage.

Also, don't go w/Mutual of Omaha. Their rates can be killers as you age. What state/zipcode are you in?
Quote:
zip 85138 Arizona

wow high price for insurance when you combine B premium and Plan G premium

is medicare advantage cheaper? actually have been looking online, do not really see any benefit to Plan C over my current A&B. some say no premium, do not get it.
Medigaps and Advantage plans cap your out of pocket exposure should serious illness strike. Otherwise, hospital deductibles ($1,260 per admission) and Part B costs could run easily tens of thousands of dollars.

Advantage plans are cheaper - at first - because:
  1. zero premium
  2. include drugs w/copays (no need to purchase Part D)
Problems arise if you are chronically ill which could result in multiple hospital and other copays negating any premium savings - and then some. People have reported Advantage copays and other expenses of up to $7k year for those chronnically ill. So, Advantage can be a false economy for some.

Further, limited provider networks could disallow payment if - outside of an emergency - you see a nonnetwork provider. Advantage - unless a PPO - is not recommended if you travel.

An alternative is the high-deductible F plan, discussed here:

Help - In Texas: Thinking Original Medicare and hi-D Plan F - thoughts?

I have a hd-F Medigap - cost $889/yr. In two years, plan has paid nothing b/c I rarely doctor. It does protect me from catastrophic costs - limited to $2,180/yr. Thereafter, plan pays 100% Medicare-allowed charges.

This year, since I almost never doctor, I am considering moving to a Medical Savings Account Advantage - offered by two WI carriers, both zero premium - NO NETWORKS - deductible $4K or $5k, but Medicare deposits $1,600 or $2,000 each year into an account from which I pay expenses. After a few years, I should have enough in acct to cover any deductible - and I still have a cap on Medicare costs first year ranging between $2,400-$3,000. Once deductible is satisfied, both plans pay 100% of all Medicare-allowed charges.

So, there are lower-cost options if you don't want the unlimited Medicare 20% exposure and possible multiple hospital deductibles - which you shouldn't - and don't want to pay the premium for a more costly Medigap.

Another alternative for you besides an insurance broker - consult the SHIP people in your state:

http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/...National/SHIP/

They may be helpful in explaining and narrowing your choices.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-04-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Henceforth, let's keep all your Qs to one thread. This from the other thread:

I have a hd-F Medigap - cost $889/yr.
where did you find a plan that inexpensive?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
where did you find a plan that inexpensive?
High-deductible F's are inexpensive. Mine is higher than many. A good premium for an hd-F should be about $60/mo. imo, because the plan pays nothing unless something serious happens. Medicare pays its 80%, you pay your 20% up to $2,180 - in most cases you never reach that level. This year, so far, my total Medicare expense - before Medicare paid its 80% - is only $307. My share of that is $179. I'd need to be hospitalized to come anywhere close to that plan paying. Which is why I'm probably going to a Medicare Savings Account plan this year.

FYI - in Arizona - you can buy a Medigap F in your zipcode for anywhere between $30-$110. You have tons of options.

So, go back to medicare.gov - click on "supplements & other insurance," scroll down to "find medigap plans" - plug in zipcode - list comes up. Scroll down to high-deductible F, premium range $30-$110 - go to extreme right side of page where it says "see providers" - click on link - and voila - there you have it. Premiums are not quoted, you still have to call the providers.

I just plugged in your zipcode - and a list of many providers came up. One in particular I was considering switching to earlier this year before I got the MSA idea is Standard Life ($63 mo. v. $74 mo. I am currently paying) - an excellent company out of TX - very low premium. Others you might consider are American Republic (competitive rates here in WI - very nice people to work with) and American Continental (now part of Aetna). I'd start with Standard Life and American Republic.

You have many choices for an hd-F in your zip. In my zip, there are only four - Physicians Mutual (my present carrier), American Republic, Standard Life, Colonial Penn.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-04-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
High-deductible F's are inexpensive. Mine is higher than many. A good premium for an hd-F should be about $60/mo. imo, because the plan pays nothing unless something serious happens. Medicare pays its 80%, you pay your 20% up to $2,180 - in most cases you never reach that level. This year, so far, my total Medicare expense - before Medicare paid its 80% - is only $307. My share of that is $179. I'd need to be hospitalized to come anywhere close to that plan paying. Which is why I'm probably going to a Medicare Savings Account plan this year.

FYI - in Arizona - you can buy a Medigap F in your zipcode for anywhere between $30-$110. You have tons of options.

So, go back to medicare.gov - click on "supplements & other insurance," scroll down to "find medigap plans" - plug in zipcode - list comes up. Scroll down to high-deductible F, premium range $30-$110 - go to extreme right side of page where it says "see providers" - click on link - and voila - there you have it. Premiums are not quoted, you still have to call the providers.

I just plugged in your zipcode - and a list of many providers came up. One in particular I was considering switching to earlier this year before I got the MSA idea is Standard Life ($63 mo. v. $74 mo. I am currently paying) - an excellent company out of TX - very low premium. Others you might consider are American Republic (competitive rates here in WI - very nice people to work with) and American Continental (now part of Aetna). I'd start with Standard Life and American Republic.

You have many choices for an hd-F in your zip. In my zip, there are only four - Physicians Mutual (my present carrier), American Republic, Standard Life, Colonial Penn.

Thank you, I have the quotes in process.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,856,088 times
Default do not need drug coverage.

Now you're scaring me! I hope you realize this could change in a minute....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance