Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 05:07 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,796,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I guess - judging from your name here - that you are on the "dentist" side of this - not the "doctor" side - right? I've had experiences with both (although only with my late FIL on the doctor side - he had angiosarcoma - a horrible aggressive cancer - on his head). The doctor my FIL saw at Mayo took Medicare. Our family oral surgeon dropped out of Medicare about 5 years ago (it was a small part of his one man practice and he couldn't stand dealing with Medicare either). And I doubt he's unique in this neck of the woods. Perhaps it's an issue of being in a big outfit where you have a large billing department versus being in a small outfit?

FWIW - I can understand your billing/coding frustrations. We as consumers/patients have them too. For example - my husband had endocarditis years ago - has a small hole in his heart valve - and needs a yearly echo to make sure he's ok. Medicare won't pay for a yearly echo for everyone. And even Mayo has trouble every year getting the billing code right for his echo.

Of course - ICD-10 just makes it harder for everyone:

Forbes Welcome

Medicare or no Medicare. Robyn
Our specialty is on both the dental and medical side of things. Some days of the week I remove wisdom teeth and place dental implants. Other days of the week I cut off jaws, tongues, and faces and reconstruct them, although I don't really get paid for it since insurance reimbursement for those procedures barely covers the cost of paying my staff. The most common procedure for me is to remove a jaw, remove lymph nodes from the neck, tracheostomy, harvest bone with its blood vessels from the leg, re-attach the blood vessels to the neck vessels under a microscope using sutures slightly smaller than a human hair, then shape the bone and rebuild the jaw, and use skin from the leg to rebuild he tongue/cheek, etc. This takes me about 8-10 hours. Medicare pays me the same as I get for taking out 2 sets of wisdom teeth which I can do in less than an hour. Private insurance doesn't pay much more. And the difference in liability, training, time spent taking care of the patient after surgery (for free) is immensely different.

This is the reason most surgeons in my specialty don't bother treating those patients. I am one of 3 surgeons in the country able to do a certain type of total jaw reconstruction in 1 surgery (instead of 4+ operations spanning over 18 months like everyone else does it) but insurance/Medicare will not pay for it. So dropping Medicare doesn't keep me from doing that surgery any less than it did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 05:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,298,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Or if you are an immigrant its free...wheeeee.
What you talkin bout, Willis?

Old 11-27-2015, 05:51 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,559,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Our specialty is on both the dental and medical side of things. Some days of the week I remove wisdom teeth and place dental implants. Other days of the week I cut off jaws, tongues, and faces and reconstruct them, although I don't really get paid for it since insurance reimbursement for those procedures barely covers the cost of paying my staff. The most common procedure for me is to remove a jaw, remove lymph nodes from the neck, tracheostomy, harvest bone with its blood vessels from the leg, re-attach the blood vessels to the neck vessels under a microscope using sutures slightly smaller than a human hair, then shape the bone and rebuild the jaw, and use skin from the leg to rebuild he tongue/cheek, etc. This takes me about 8-10 hours. Medicare pays me the same as I get for taking out 2 sets of wisdom teeth which I can do in less than an hour. Private insurance doesn't pay much more. And the difference in liability, training, time spent taking care of the patient after surgery (for free) is immensely different.

This is the reason most surgeons in my specialty don't bother treating those patients. I am one of 3 surgeons in the country able to do a certain type of total jaw reconstruction in 1 surgery (instead of 4+ operations spanning over 18 months like everyone else does it) but insurance/Medicare will not pay for it. So dropping Medicare doesn't keep me from doing that surgery any less than it did before.
I give you a big thumbs up for what you do . People often don't realize what dentists can do and do do. I have a cousin who's kind of a big deal oral surgeon in the NY metro area. He makes a fair amount of money off some patents and things like implants. But he still goes to central America every year with other oral surgeons to do cleft palate surgery on kids. My prosthodontist here (I'm kind of a dental basket case) does amazing reconstructions when people are screwed up by things like terrible accidents and cancers. He pays the bills with cosmetic stuff - and basically hopes to break even/not lose a lot of money on the more challenging things.

I realize not every dentist does these kinds of things. Just like all lawyers - other professionals - or non-professionals don't do it either. But it's nice that some do. Robyn

Old 11-27-2015, 09:32 AM

1,655 posts, read 2,796,772 times
Thanks for the kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance