Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,587,368 times

Advertisements

Well,

I saw a gastro doctor because I was having some weird problems with my stomach--always feeling full, pain in abdomen, acid reflux, change in bowel habits, and nausea. I mentioned that I had a pretty significant history of cancer in my family, so the doctor wanted to run tests. Unfortunately, my insurance plan has a $2500 deductible for this kind of procedure. I want to get it done, because it may be important, but right now I can't really afford it. Are there options? Is there a secondary insurance that can cover a high deductible? Should I just maybe see another doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:50 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,787,311 times
Seeing another doctor probably won't make a difference since the fees are determined by your insurance, not the doctor. Regardless of if you choose a high or low deductible plan, you should have that amount set aside as part of your emergency fund. You cannot predict when you and your health will need it.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:12 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,185,699 times
Unfortunately $2500 deductible really isn't considered high anymore, particularly on exchange plans. Doubt you can find a plan that would be cost effective to cover that deductible. Maybe put it on a low interest credit card and pay it off?

If it is an exchange plan and you have really low income, you may qualify for a lowering of your deductible if it is a silver plan.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Unfortunately $2500 deductible really isn't considered high anymore, particularly on exchange plans. Doubt you can find a plan that would be cost effective to cover that deductible. Maybe put it on a low interest credit card and pay it off?

If it is an exchange plan and you have really low income, you may qualify for a lowering of your deductible if it is a silver plan.
It is Blue Cross and Blue Shield, but it's through my employer.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times
You might try to find a doctor who will take payments and not expect the whole amount in one handful. Some doctors are more willing to do this for patients, some do not care. And if its just tests, it may not be that much out of pocket for you. Did the doc give you an estimate of which tests, and how much they cost? Just a colonoscopy or endoscopy to start might be all that is needed, along with a blood profile.

It does sound like you should go do it.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:25 AM

82 posts, read 154,917 times
Some hospitals or medical practices will let you pay out bills and copays. I just had an MRI done - I was referred by my primary care doctor to my local hospital for the test (done outpatient), and I had a $250 copay. They let me put down $25 dollars and I will be paying them back every month. I also have gotten other hospital bills and have been able to negotiate payment with them as well. They usually are just happy to get paid at all, so they tend to be flexible. I know that $2500 is a lot more than that, but you should ask about this option. (This was Florida Hospital and other practices in Orlando, btw)

I don't know if you have to pay the deductible upfront, but if you don't and really cannot afford it, I think you should still get the tests done even if you can't pay for it. I know this might be controversial to say, but it is my opinion that your health is more important than your credit score. It is better to know that you (hopefully) don't have cancer and be able to be treated for your stomach issues.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris14 View Post
Some hospitals or medical practices will let you pay out bills and copays. I just had an MRI done - I was referred by my primary care doctor to my local hospital for the test (done outpatient), and I had a $250 copay. They let me put down $25 dollars and I will be paying them back every month. I also have gotten other hospital bills and have been able to negotiate payment with them as well. They usually are just happy to get paid at all, so they tend to be flexible. I know that $2500 is a lot more than that, but you should ask about this option. (This was Florida Hospital and other practices in Orlando, btw)

I don't know if you have to pay the deductible upfront, but if you don't and really cannot afford it, I think you should still get the tests done even if you can't pay for it. I know this might be controversial to say, but it is my opinion that your health is more important than your credit score. It is better to know that you (hopefully) don't have cancer and be able to be treated for your stomach issues.
This place wants it all upfront. I might try to find another doctor who will allow me to make payments.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:14 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,124,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
This place wants it all upfront. I might try to find another doctor who will allow me to make payments.
Is your health plan HSA qualified? I would find a doctor or facility that is more willing to work with you on the payments. There are some plans that you can buy that will pay you a flat amount for certain procedures, but probably not for this and will exclude this as a preexisting condition anyway.

If you have the option of opening an HSA, it's best to start contributing to the account to build up a savings for covering your deductible, even if it's $10/paycheck.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:05 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,516,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post

If you have the option of opening an HSA, it's best to start contributing to the account to build up a savings for covering your deductible, even if it's $10/paycheck.
And delay the care? Are you crazy? This is a potentially harmful, even irresponsible, suggestion under the circumstances.

If the OP truly has no source of funds, no savings, credit card or willing family members, then there's not much we can do to help. Maybe OP should talk to employer about a payroll advance?

Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,124,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
And delay the care? Are you crazy? This is a potentially harmful, even irresponsible, suggestion under the circumstances.

If the OP truly has no source of funds, no savings, credit card or willing family members, then there's not much we can do to help. Maybe OP should talk to employer about a payroll advance?
Where did I say delay care, I suggested that the OP start contributing to an HSA.

I'm pretty sure I said to find a provider that is wiling to work out a payment arrangement...yep, just looked back and I said "I would find a doctor or facility that is more willing to work with you on the payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance