Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:58 PM

38 posts, read 52,118 times

Advertisements

I'm 68 and retired in Uruguay. I'm planning to return to the US and sign up for Medicare this year. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. Specifically, will I face a penalty for not signing up at 65? I've gone on the Medicare.gov and SS.gov websites and it still isn't clear to me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
Have you been collecting SS since 65? or at all? If so you would have been automatically enrolled in Part A medicare .
You will likely face a penalty on part B and part D if you sign up for those.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
When you turned 65, did you get a letter from Medicare like this one:
https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu...ing-Abroad.pdf

If not, you should contact the nearest Consulate or Embassy for assistance in understanding your options, based on your specific situation, mainly your past or current insurance coverages.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Have you been collecting SS since 65? or at all? If so you would have been automatically enrolled in Part A medicare .
You will likely face a penalty on part B and part D if you sign up for those.
I started collecting SS here at 62, and received a Medicare letter at 65, enrolling me in Part A. Since Medicare doesn't apply in Uruguay, I saw no reason to start paying over $100 USD each month for Part B coverage I couldn't use.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
It appears you will have a penalty.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...t-penalty.html

Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
It appears you will have a penalty.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...t-penalty.html
That page also says "Usually, you don't pay a late enrollment penalty if you meet certain conditions that allow you to sign up for Part B during a Special Enrollment Period." Unfortunately, I can't find where they list the "certain conditions." (Doesn't seem very helpful to have that paragraph but then not give any details!) Anyone know what the "certain conditions" are? (The only one I could find by checking OTHER sites is that if you or your spouse is currently working and you have health care coverage through such employment.)

ETA: kept looking and found this page: https://www.medicareinteractive.org/...-living-abroad . It DOES appear that the OP should have paid for Part B every month from the moment he was eligible even though he would get no benefit from it while living abroad -- now he faces a life-long penalty.

This is actually really good to know for those of us who consider moving outside the U.S. in retirement!!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
My spouse is 65 (turned 65 in May) and is still working and still covered with Health Insurance at work. Should my spouse have signed up for part B even though it wasn't going to be used? That seems crazy.........

Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
My spouse is 65 (turned 65 in May) and is still working and still covered with Health Insurance at work. Should my spouse have signed up for part B even though it wasn't going to be used? That seems crazy.........
That (bolded part) is the one exception that I found ... see the 1st paragraph of my post right before yours.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
Your best bet is to call Medicare and tell them your situation and ask them.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:16 PM

I may have to pay a penalty. I need to call Medicare to get a definitive answer it seems. Thanks to you all for your time and interest in my situation. Love this website! Candice, UY expat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance