Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 AM

989 posts, read 769,481 times

Advertisements

I am eligible for Medicare in January 2019 . :dance: ( At Least I think I should be Dancing) I am starting to look into Medicare Supplemental plans and have heard good things about the AARP Sponsored plans. I am in Florida. It is hard to get actual details unless you go ahead and actually apply. I can start to apply for Medicare in September/ November of this year.

I was wondering if anyone here actually has it and what some of the basic coverages are. I am looking for something as good as my ACA plan, which unlike some others opinions here has been simply outstanding for us. Low costs, Zero Deductible low Copays, low MAXOOP. Florida I think has good Rates, at least for the ACA.

If anyone can share their AARP Medicare Supplement pan coverages that would be great, along with premiums etc. I am concerned about Pre-Existing condition coverage etc., as I have a pacemaker replacement coming in the next couple of years.

(PS.: This is not an ACA discussion Please)

TIA

Old 02-17-2018, 02:26 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Medicare and supplements cannot be compared to ACA. Coverage under a Medigap is standardized - limited to Medicare-approved procedures. This does not vary by company.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-...e-medigap.html

Unless you choose a cost-sharing Medigap or an Advantage plan, there are no deductibles (other than annual Part B of $183 for Plan G), copays, max out of pockets or provider networks under Medicare.

When you have Medicare plus a Medigap G, your Medicare-approved expenses will be paid 80% by Medicare, 20% by the Medigap - except for the $183 annual Part B deductible which can change annually. Your cost is limited to the Medigap premium, Part B premium and deductible, Part D premium, Part D copays - and any non-Medicare-approved procedures and expenses.

Plan F pays the Part B deductible ($183) but is being discontinued in 2020. FL UHC policies are issue-age, so when F is no longer offered your premium increases should not be affected and should reflect only those of your age-group. Pricing of Medigaps is explained, here:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...-policies.aspx

For many companies, the annual premium for an F exceeds the $183 deductible. If you decide on an F while it is still available, compare that premium to Plan G.

Under a Medigap, you are allowed to see any doctor who accepts Medicare patients anywhere in the country. There are no networks.

Preexisting conditions are irrelevant if you purchase your Medigap within six months of enrolling in Part B. If you chose to change carriers later, you may be subject to health underwriting. So, plan on keeping what you buy unless you move to a guaranteed issue state.

That's as simple as it gets.

The AARP UHC Medigap is a great plan - many FL residents who post here have it.

You should read:

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-...y-medigap.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

and this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...ents-able.html

in its entirety - if you have not yet done so.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-17-2018 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 03:02 PM

989 posts, read 769,481 times
Thanks for all the great responses, it has been really helpful. ^^^^^^ This one too. I just have to wait till September to start the real search....

Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
My AARP/UNITED HEALTH Plan F kicks in Sunday. (Doing happy dance!) It is NOT cheap, $214 per month plus $27.40 per month for my Rx coverage but IMO it is worth it. No deductibles, no network, you can go to any doctor you wish. If you sign up (for any of the plans) 3 months before or 3 months after your 65th birthday, no questions asked about your health except iirc, end renal failure.

My friend who is a couple of years older than I, has plan F, had an incident last year, didn't pay a penny for 3 days in the hospital. She got a statement from UHC showing all the charges they paid. $71K for 3 days in the hospital!!!! Then she broke her shoulder and that cost $17K!! Not a penny spent by her. That is why as soon as the 3 months before rolled around, I signed up! Also my Rx plan is the WALGREEN'S plan and most, if not all of my scripts are tier1 and they cost me NOTHING. NADA.

I live in Florida also.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:43 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I have AARP/UHC plan G for $147. a month. plus plan D at about $30 a month and of course Medicare Part B at $134 a month. So far I have been very happy with the plans I have. Except that with all the meds I take I am already in the Donut hole for 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance