Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:23 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

I did an online quote thing from United Healthcare for Plan F. I also did an online quote through AARP for United Healthcare Plan F. The cost was exactly the same. $144/mo.

Isn't AARP membership supposed to give a bit of a discount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 03:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
I'm pretty sure you need to be a member of AARP to get those rates - membership might be automatic when you buy the insurance - maybe UHC kicks back to AARP. Guessing, here. Most recent mailing I got on AARP membership cites $10/year. It's no biggee.

This UHC website clearly refers to AARP Medicare Supplements.

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com...ent-plans.html

So, I think membership is automatic.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I'm pretty sure you need to be a member of AARP to get those rates - membership might be automatic when you buy the insurance - maybe UHC kicks back to AARP. Guessing, here. Most recent mailing I got on AARP membership cites $10/year. It's no biggee.

This UHC website clearly refers to AARP Medicare Supplements.

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com...ent-plans.html

So, I think membership is automatic.
AARP membership is required to get the AARP/UHC supplement plans. but it is not automatic with the insurance, rather it is required to join before you apply for the insurance. Also when you do get the supplement, there is a 30% discount the first year and the discount grows smaller each year till you reach a certain level, I forget if it is 3 years or 5 years. It also tops off in cost at 80 something.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:01 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I helped my neighbor get a supplement with UHC and she wasn’t required to be a member of AARP to be eligible.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:46 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
AARP membership is required to get the AARP/UHC supplement plans. but it is not automatic with the insurance, rather it is required to join before you apply for the insurance.
So, does UHC ask you to complete an enrollment app for AARP as part of the application process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Also when you do get the supplement, there is a 30% discount the first year and the discount grows smaller each year till you reach a certain level, I forget if it is 3 years or 5 years. It also tops off in cost at 80 something.
Because it is community rated, UHC automatically discounts rates for those under 77 (previously age 75) - due to age - not AARP membership.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:50 PM

Thanks for all your responses. Yes, I know you have to be a member of AARP, but I went through the AARP quote page, which seemed to me to be the assumption of user being a member.

Then I did a quote through UHC's Medicare quote page.

So maybe AARP doesn't give a discounted rate if you're not a member, even though you're in its site, but it didn't say that.

I used to be a member but didn't use it much, so didn't renew. I can join again and see if I get that 30% discount mentioned above. That's quite a bit of a discount. I thought maybe it would be just a few dollars off. I did see a post somewhere that said if AARP & UHC dissolve their partnership, the insureds would then have to go through UHC directly, and they will be charged a higher rate, maybe, as if they are just signing on at that older age. If that's true, it's something to consider.

I'll just join AARP and see what the deal is. Thanks so much for the information!

Old 08-25-2018, 04:20 AM

469 posts, read 761,939 times
UHC is required to charge the rate approved by your state's insurance commissioner regardless of the website name. The AARP membership can be canceled after the first year.

Why Plan F instead of G?

The premium savings of G usually covers the Part B deductible. G historically has lower rate increases than F due to healthier enrollees. This should continue into the future given the 2020 changes to Plan F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I can join again and see if I get that 30% discount mentioned above. That's quite a bit of a discount.
That discount is already reflected in the $144 premium based the age you entered as explained by Ariadne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
UHC automatically discounts rates for those under 77 (previously age 75) - due to age - not AARP membership.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
UHC is required to charge the rate approved by your state's insurance commissioner regardless of the website name. The AARP membership can be canceled after the first year.

That discount is already reflected in the $144 premium based the age you entered as explained by Ariadne.

Why Plan F instead of G?

The premium savings of G usually covers the Part B deductible. G historically has lower rate increases than F due to healthier enrollees. This should continue into the future given the 2020 changes to Plan F.
The $144 premium is the regular UHC premium. No discount. That was my question. The AARP quote I did resulted in a $144 premium quote. The direct UHC quote I did (directly through UHC...no AARP involved) was also for $144. $144 is the regular price. So there is no AARP discount, I guess.

That was my question...if there was a discount getting the UHC through AARP. It was my understanding that there was. But it seems there isn't.

I see no reason to join AARP, if there's no discount. (Unless I want to join for another reason.)

Plan F vs Plan G. Oh, yes...I took another look at that. That's the better deal.

I need to call AARP, I think.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2018, 10:28 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I had been an AARP member for 15+ years and then let my membership expire 3 months before I decided to get the AARP/UHC Supplement. My insurance agent advised me that I'd have to become an AARP member again in order to get the AARP/UHC medigap plan. So I presume that AARP membership is a requirement.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:58 AM

AARP membership to join is $16/yr. If you sign up for automatic renewal, it's $12 for that year, then it's $16/yr for every year thereafter.

5 yrs is $63 ($12.60/yr)

3 yrs is $43 ($14.33/yr)

I'll call AARP, but after reading several things about AARP & Medicare ins., nothing actually says AARP gives a discount for the supplemental plans. I saw a reference to possible prescription discounts.

Last edited by bpollen; 08-26-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance