Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 03:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,605 times

Advertisements

our supplement is Aetna ! I will have to say they have been really good to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 AM

7 posts, read 3,922 times
So I have moved forward in apply for the Wisconsin UHC Plan with copymts adding riders 1 and 4. And after reviewing drugs list, selected UHC Part D Walgreens labeled plan. Both my 65 in January spouse and me 66 in January. My spouse was instantly approved in less that 24 hours via recorded phone call notification because of GI. I am subject to u/w approval ... answered no to all questions ...but it makes me anxious waiting to hear. I have no handle on how tightly they screen or what happens if they don't approve.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 AM

716 posts, read 539,422 times
a little story - i went on medicare in may in Tx and after many months of reading went with supplement with UHC - the 121 per month was about the same - and i wanted to control my health care - well i thought i was in good health - in just the last month i had shoulder surgery and found out i am in fib and have to have that taken care of and toe surgery - total out of pocket on Plan g- 185 the deductible - we would be out thousands already and more when i go back for the a fib work -
you never know - i did not have to wait for approval - found my choice of surgeon etc

yea it cost more than advantage plans but you never know -

Old 10-17-2019, 08:36 AM

563 posts, read 280,791 times
Humana HD Plan F - Eastern Washington - $67/month.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson920 View Post
So I have moved forward in apply for the Wisconsin UHC Plan with copymts adding riders 1 and 4. And after reviewing drugs list, selected UHC Part D Walgreens labeled plan. Both my 65 in January spouse and me 66 in January. My spouse was instantly approved in less that 24 hours via recorded phone call notification because of GI. I am subject to u/w approval ... answered no to all questions ...but it makes me anxious waiting to hear. I have no handle on how tightly they screen or what happens if they don't approve.
FYI, UHC has two levels of pricing - level 1 for those w/no health issues, level 2 for those who do. If you answered no to all qs, you will be approved at level 1 - they have no reason not to approve. Because you aren't GI, the process takes a little longer. Let us know when final approval comes and how long it took. You should know in a week or so, I would expect.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:51 PM

810 posts, read 870,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Per this,

https://www.medicareresources.org/states/

four states mandate issue age: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho
Trying to plan ahead, and find this thread very helpful. I've not yet reached Medicare age, and don't yet live in Arizona. If I were to buy the AARP UHC G Plan when I turn 65 in another state, and then move to Arizona, will I have to go through underwriting upon moving (and would the rate be much higher as a result)? Have no health issues, but always find the word "underwriting" to be daunting. Will be coming from a guaranteed issue state.

In my limited research, I once called the UHC F plan supplement about moving my elderly relative to Arizona. They said, no problem, just give us a call when you get here and we'll change it. The rate quoted was actually a bit lower. No mention of underwriting.

Trying to figure out if it's better for retirees to move to their destination state right when Medicare hits, so we don't sign up for the supplement in one state; move; and then have to sign up for it again in the new state with new rules. I'm sure people do this all the time, but I haven't read about possible pitfalls. Thank you for any info.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:12 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Trying to plan ahead, and find this thread very helpful. I've not yet reached Medicare age, and don't yet live in Arizona. If I were to buy the AARP UHC G Plan when I turn 65 in another state, and then move to Arizona, will I have to go through underwriting upon moving (and would the rate be much higher as a result)? Have no health issues, but always find the word "underwriting" to be daunting. Will be coming from a guaranteed issue state.

In my limited research, I once called the UHC F plan supplement about moving my elderly relative to Arizona. They said, no problem, just give us a call when you get here and we'll change it. The rate quoted was actually a bit lower. No mention of underwriting.

Trying to figure out if it's better for retirees to move to their destination state right when Medicare hits, so we don't sign up for the supplement in one state; move; and then have to sign up for it again in the new state with new rules. I'm sure people do this all the time, but I haven't read about possible pitfalls. Thank you for any info.
We moved to Tennessee from Florida three years after retiring. I had a high deductible F plan with United American and my wife had a plan N with AARP/UNH.

With her plan, UNH just changed it over to Tennessee and her premium actually dropped. United American changed mine over to Tennessee, but the premium stayed the same as in Florida. No underwriting required for the change of states and no hassle making the changes.

But since other companies in Tennessee had high deductible F plans with lower premiums, I went through underwriting and changed to Bankers Fidelity.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:26 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,205,691 times
Wait, what the 4 states have the wrong kind of policy and nothing I can do about it if I am in one? Why would that be a matter for the state?

Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
JRR is correct. Buy in your resident state, notify insurer of move. Premium may or may not adjust depending on insurer. No underwriting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Wait, what the 4 states have the wrong kind of policy and nothing I can do about it if I am in one? Why would that be a matter for the state?
Issue-age isn't a "wrong kind of policy." Issue-age and community-rated are pretty much equal in terms of an appropriate choice for those 65/66 just entering the Medigap market, although in many states issue-age can start significantly higher in premium than community-rated and not look attractive until past age 78. Insurance of any type has always been regulated by the state in which it is sold through the individual state's Office of Insurance Commissioner.

Costs are very much regional. AZ, GA, and ID have lower rates generally than many parts of the country. FL rates tend to be higher - more along the line of WI rates - but the preponderance of older retirees in FL accounts for it. That said, certain areas of FL have significant differences in premiums - Miami being very expensive, other parts of the state not so much. Just priced ID issue-age UHC for myself - age 77 - rate is lower than what I would be paying in WI for a community-rated plan. Also, fwiw, $56/mo. difference between F and G in Idaho. That is shocking, as the only difference between the plans is $185 Part B deductible.

You can price UHC policies, here:

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com...ent-plans.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-18-2019 at 05:33 PM..

Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 PM

810 posts, read 870,662 times
Very helpful! Thank you both, JRR and Ariadne22, for your replies and examples. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance