Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 05:14 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Medigap choices (2023 deductibles), realistically, are:
  • G - 100% after payment of $226 deductible, includes excess fee coverage
  • N - 100% after payment of $226 deductible, up to $20 copay dr. visit, $50 ER; no excess coverage
  • HD - Medicare pays 80%, you pay 20% up to $2,700 deductible; thereafter plan pays 100%, includes excess coverage
Plan N is one step down from Plan G, requiring small copays which make a substantial difference in lowering the premium as one ages. For example, for me. Plan N premium is $240 v. $330 for Plan G. Plan N also does not cover excess fees (15% of 95% of the Medicare reimbursement) which are imposed by a few nonparticipating Medicare providers. This is usually not an issue for most.
I went with Plan N. Typically people who enroll in G are high users of medical services. This will affect the premiums of all those in the G plan. Co-pays typically discourage high users so the premiums of N will be lower. The premium savings will go toward my Plan D premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 07:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because I have arthritis in so many areas of my body, I know that my future is going to be filled with joint replacements. So I think the high deductible plan would still be better than paying all the co-pays I would have with an advantage plan. My mom owing $5000 after one rehab stay scares me.
Yes, the $5k exposure on an Advantage plan seriously worried me for the two years I had it immediately after retirement when I wasn't sure about my financial future. I hardly ever doctor, but one bad accident or medical event could change everything. Plus lack of provider flexibility and potential oversight.

Unless my budget becomes very, very tight to the point I couldn't even afford the small HD premium, I much prefer the HD.

Old 11-27-2022, 02:40 PM

260 posts, read 154,410 times
Thumbs up So glad you posted this, but sorry what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
My senior friend had an Advantage Plan here in Las Vegas. Briefly, I wanted to state what happened to him as I think it’s important for others considering Advantage Plans.

I’m advising those dear to me to avoid the Medicare Advantage Plans. Ask yourself what’s more important - your money or your life? Insurers make more profit on advantage plans. Do you notice all the advertisements to convince you to join. Usually, when everyone is trying to convince you to proceed in one direction, it’s time to question it.

But if you can afford it, my advice is go with the straight medicare Part A,B D, etc. Spend the money for choice. You might get really sick some day and if you do - access to a quality doctor will be much more important than a few dollars saved, silver slippers classes and a health club membership.

This has been my direct experience and I may not have all the facts. Arm yourself with knowledge and make the right decisions.

Hi Croce, so sorry to read about what happened to your senior friend. I am very glad I read this as my mom is on traditional Medicare and has been questioning me about changing over to an Advantage Plan and I keep telling her it is not the same and it is a supplemental plan that is a substitute Medicare Plan that does not give all that traditional Medicare gives especially when you really need it. Just reading your post has reinforced my belief and made me understand I made the right decision (I'm her conservator) by not changing her coverage. We pay for all of her dental and eye issues that are not covered, but it is well worth it; knowing if she needs something right away we wouldn't have to wait for weeks or more for approval from an HMO. Mom continues to question me on the subject and so today, I decided to check CD to see what others are doing, thinking, or feeling about the subject. Thank you for posting this and all the others who commented on it too. I am keeping the traditional for my mom and for me when I become the age; my plan is never to go non-traditional. The freebies and lower premiums are not worth the peace of mind of knowing I can take my mom anywhere and not have to wait for cheaper options, rejections, or long approval process if she needs something. Thanks OP. Your warning is being heard by me and apparently a lot more others.

Old 11-27-2022, 03:40 PM

50,781 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy retiree 16 View Post
Hi Croce, so sorry to read about what happened to your senior friend. I am very glad I read this as my mom is on traditional Medicare and has been questioning me about changing over to an Advantage Plan and I keep telling her it is not the same and it is a supplemental plan that is a substitute Medicare Plan that does not give all that traditional Medicare gives especially when you really need it. Just reading your post has reinforced my belief and made me understand I made the right decision (I'm her conservator) by not changing her coverage. We pay for all of her dental and eye issues that are not covered, but it is well worth it; knowing if she needs something right away we wouldn't have to wait for weeks or more for approval from an HMO. Mom continues to question me on the subject and so today, I decided to check CD to see what others are doing, thinking, or feeling about the subject. Thank you for posting this and all the others who commented on it too. I am keeping the traditional for my mom and for me when I become the age; my plan is never to go non-traditional. The freebies and lower premiums are not worth the peace of mind of knowing I can take my mom anywhere and not have to wait for cheaper options, rejections, or long approval process if she needs something. Thanks OP. Your warning is being heard by me and apparently a lot more others.

The thing that is really making me mad now, is the commercials (on non-stop due to open enrollment) IMO deliberately try to mislead people by calling it "Medicare part C" and implying if they don't have part C in addition to A and B, they are missing out on benefits. Most people are familiar with the term Advantage plan, but not with the term Medicare part C. And they are trying to capitalize on people's lack of knowledge and exploiting it. The commercials make it sound like if you call, you will get Part C in addition to what you already have. And people who don't know any better are instead going to be switched from traditional to an Advantage plan without even realizing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance