Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 07:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend this.

They make morals based judgments on your health condition, as to whether or not they will pay it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 AM

1,492 posts, read 797,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would not recommend this.

They make morals based judgments on your health condition, as to whether or not they will pay it.
You agree to that when you sign up.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:27 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
This is both entertaining and informative. Caveat Emptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFet...astWeekTonight

Old 06-28-2021, 06:11 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This is both entertaining and informative. Caveat Emptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFet...astWeekTonight

You've previously stated that insurance companies are scams set up to NOT pay claims. Now you don't like the Christian health associations.

You post links to two TV personalities who are trying to be funny by making negative statements about Christian groups.

Keep searching. Eventually you'll come up with something that actually is funny.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,145,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You've previously stated that insurance companies are scams set up to NOT pay claims. Now you don't like the Christian health associations.

You post links to two TV personalities who are trying to be funny by making negative statements about Christian groups.

Keep searching. Eventually you'll come up with something that actually is funny.
and? are questionable marketing tactics off limits because of a religious connection? I would hope not

Old 06-30-2021, 05:52 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times
I watched the John Oliver show. I thought the funniest thing was that his outrage seemed to come from some expectation or desire that HS ministries would be or should be exactly like insurance. That is like being outraged that trucks are not the same as cars, or that annuities are not the same as IRAs. Why would or should HSMs be the same as insurance? They are two similar but different things.

Until we have some sort of universal health care, I'm glad there are still choices such as HS ministries for those of us who may want or need an alternative to for-profit, conflict-of-interest insurance.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:22 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Since I posted above, I have had to use my Christian Healthcare Sharing Ministry. Had a bad fall out of state, ended up in the hospital 4 days, long surgery. Bill was over $300,000. No insurance company making decisions for me, I got to decide.

I informed all the providers that I had no health insurance and I needed the self pay rate. Once I had the adjusted bills (which was hard to get in some cases, they are not used to sending bills to patients), I sent them to CHM and they sent me a check. I then paid the providers.

I am extremely happy with how it worked. We get the bronze plan which only covers hospitalization, which is what we wanted. We pay for everything else (always asking for the self pay rate). For example, my physical therapy charges $571 but the self pay rate was $120 per visit.

Now, CHM is a faith based group. We pray for each other and we donate to others within the group, outside of our monthly regular giving. I'm extremely thankful that this ministry exists and we are giving more because they gave us so much.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:30 AM

363 posts, read 350,270 times
do you think the providers took a loss on you, since you claimed self pay?

does not sound like you were self-pay.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:06 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times
There is no loss to the providers. They do not process any of the paperwork, hence there is no added overhead cost to them (unlike with insurance).

The patients are self-pay since they pay upfront for the services provided. They then submit the paperwork to the HSMs, who then essentially crowd-source the funding from the members of the ministry.

I have had similar good experience with Liberty HealthShare. Once my deductible was satisfied, my bills were shared and I received a check a few months later.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:12 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Since I posted above, I have had to use my Christian Healthcare Sharing Ministry. Had a bad fall out of state, ended up in the hospital 4 days, long surgery. Bill was over $300,000. No insurance company making decisions for me, I got to decide.

I informed all the providers that I had no health insurance and I needed the self pay rate. Once I had the adjusted bills (which was hard to get in some cases, they are not used to sending bills to patients), I sent them to CHM and they sent me a check. I then paid the providers.

I am extremely happy with how it worked. We get the bronze plan which only covers hospitalization, which is what we wanted. We pay for everything else (always asking for the self pay rate). For example, my physical therapy charges $571 but the self pay rate was $120 per visit.
So, it appears self-pay on therapy was 20% of the billed rate. That's a really steep reduction. I know we wouldn't get that accommodation around here from any provider. My son/dil who had no insurance for a while tried to negotiate rates years back with a major hospital and got nowhere.

What were the actual numbers? Hospitalization was reduced from what to what? You then sent that bill to CHM. Did they pay it in full?

Also, if you policy covers only hospitalization, did that mean surgery and rehab costs were on you? Or was surgery included in hospital?

Just trying to get a sense of the exposure someone might have should they have your experience and your coverage.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance