Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2020, 07:12 AM

74 posts, read 61,608 times

Advertisements

What is the employee contribution for health care on average for a family plan?
I'm doing an analysis on moving and it seems that health care is one of the biggest factors.
Do most medium and large business expect the employee to kick in half?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 11:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
About to change shortly and employee plus family for BCBS is around $700. Dental, vision extra but not material.

About half is right.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:09 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheglobe View Post
I work for a company with 1,500 employees. Prior to 2020 - Employer paid 75% and Employee paid 25%. Due to rising health costs, in 2020 we changed this to Employer paid 70% and Employee paid 30%.

Here is the deal - most medium to large size companies are self insured which means if you think you have UHC - they are just the plan administrator (TPA) on behalf of your Employer. The Employer is actually paying all the costs. So when there is a 70/30 split. This is based on the actuary estimate of net costs. If those costs are higher than forecast, you employer picks up the difference. If they are lower, your employer gets the savings.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheglobe View Post
What is the employee contribution for health care on average for a family plan?
I'm doing an analysis on moving and it seems that health care is one of the biggest factors.
No way to answer that as companies can cover 60% or they can cover 100%. Some offer subsidized family pans, others provide no subsidies to family plans. Some contribute extra to non-smokers or BM appropriate employees while others surcharge smokers or BM inappropriate people. Non collective bargaining employees may have different subsides in different states, work locations or even job titles. You also can't tell the true subsidy rate due to overcharge rebates which goes back to the company, not you who paid the overcharge. And, unless you are actively studying your annual benefit information, how do you even know if the company is being truthful or feeding you one heck of a line of moose droppings like they did before?

Here's an example. The company next to mine has about the same number of employees. They subsidize the employee plan at 70% and additional family at 60%. I provided 99% subsidy to employees but zero towards family. Across from us that company subsidizes at 75% for all. Even that is all misleading because I also subsidize the executive members fully at 99% employee and family.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Yeh, there is no set amount, it depends on the employer. Mine is about 2,000 employees and they offer us a choice of 3 different plans. Mine costs me about $80/payday (every 2 weeks)
And the annual out-of-pocket maximum is $2,000 plus $400 for prescriptions. Vision is $3/paycheck, dental $5.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
About to change shortly and employee plus family for BCBS is around $700. Dental, vision extra but not material.

About half is right.
That's not bad at all I don't think.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:57 PM

The biggest concern for us is Health insurance, as we used to pay it on our own (hubby is self employed) and it was a lot.
Now I'm carrying the insurance. Generous coverage for about $500 for a family with dental and vision included.
So I guess as long as we can find something decent between 400-700 range in contributions it would be ok.
I have heard horror stories of folks shelling out like $1700 a month for their employee contributions. that's crazy.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:51 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
The average annual premium on a fully funded employer provided health insurance plan is about $8,000 a year per employee. That means the maximum an employee should be paying for their individual health insurance would be only $700 a month if they paid all the premiums and the employer paid nothing. However, it's the family plan that causes the huge jump from an average of $8,000 a year to over $20,000 a year. Since many employers subsidize at a fairly uniformed rate, that means a disproportionate higher funding is being paid to cover employees' family. This is why employers are getting aggressive in kicking off those who have other available insurance through their own employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance