Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 05:04 PM

7 posts, read 8,902 times

Advertisements

I had a total right knee replacement on March 12. Prior to this, my doctor required specific blood tests before surgery.

Yesterday, I received a notice from Quest (lab) that over $350 of these blood tests were not covered by Medicare and I would need to pay! I have Medigap F but since Medicare did not cover, they won't!

Is there anything I can do? Anyone else ever have this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 06:24 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis11003 View Post
I had a total right knee replacement on March 12. Prior to this, my doctor required specific blood tests before surgery.

Yesterday, I received a notice from Quest (lab) that over $350 of these blood tests were not covered by Medicare and I would need to pay! I have Medigap F but since Medicare did not cover, they won't!

Is there anything I can do? Anyone else ever have this issue?
Did the denial give a reason?

Of late, it seems any omission on "medically necessary" is being used in denial of what is clearly a medically necessary service.

It is quite possible coding and/or supporting data sent to Medicare by the lab did not include "medically necessary." If that is the case, ask docs office and/or lab to resubmit its request to lab for this "medically necessary" procedure and have lab resubmit to Medicare stating "medically necessary."

This happened to me a few months ago for what was clearly a "medically necessary" procedure. I would have developed sepsis without medical intervention. I haven't disputed the denial, yet, because provider isn't dunning me for payment - and I absolutely HATE fighting this kind of stupidity. But, I need to get on this before too much time goes by.

My determination said:

Quote:
"non-covered services because this is not deemed a 'medical necessity' by the payer. This decision was based on a Local Coverage Determination (LCD). An LCD provides a guide to assist in determining whether a particular item or service is covered. A copy of this policy is available at www.cms.gov/mcd."

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-12-2020 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-13-2020, 06:05 AM

7 posts, read 8,902 times
Thanks. I'll start with the doctor and see what happens.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:06 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,430 times
My husband has had 2 knee replacements with the required blood tests each time. All covered by Medicare. I wonder if an incorrect code was entered.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
There seems to be a lot of that going on in Medicare lately. I have been having this problem with an abdominal reconstructive surgery I had last October for 2 large hernias after being referred to a surgical group specializing in this due to the extensive work needed. I had a GI surgeon do the opening and rearranging of everything, then a plastic surgeon put in the mesh, removed excess tissue and sewed it all back up nicely. Now Medicare is saying they won't pay for the second surgeon because it wasn't medically necessary. Wait, what???? The GI person doesn't do the mesh and fix up, and the plastics doesn't to the "moving around". The office said they took care of all the needed approvals for it and since they do this kind of thing all the time they should know what they are doing. Apparently they have also put in for an appeal twice with the same results. I have never had this problem with my other surgeries.

Check your EOB to see if it says you won't be responsible for the charge. That is what my EOB is saying, although I feel bad that they aren't paying for it after doing an approval.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Check your EOB to see if it says you won't be responsible for the charge. That is what my EOB is saying, although I feel bad that they aren't paying for it after doing an approval.
Thanks, rothbear. Just looked at my paperwork again. Yes, that is exactly what mine says. I'm not responsible. So, I guess I'll stop worrying about it. If Medicare won't pay because claim does not say "medically necessary" that is on the provider for sloppy billing. My provider hasn't bothered to resubmit the claim, either, even though they received the denial two months ago. Big health consortium - you would think they would care.

I, too, feel bad because I was very happy with the service and the experience at the urgent care facility. They deserve their money, albeit the Medicare reimbursement is 25% of what they billed.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,467 times
Two blood tests of mine were denied last year. I have Medicare & Suppl. F. I called the doctor and haven't heard anymore about it. It has been about 7 months. Sometimes the doctor has to submit more codes to get things covered. I always start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance