Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 03:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times

Advertisements

Some of you are probably aware of my health issues and the fact that I have no health insurance but the quick recap is that I tried to sign up for Obamacare last December and got refused because I answered a question wrong, and by the time I figured that out, it put me past the deadline.

This is extra frightening to me because I have cancer and I’m 61, so I’m not eligible for Medicare and I’m not eligible for Medicaid either because I have a retirement account and I live in MO. Just so you don’t feel too sorry for me though, I have only ever done holistic medicine for my cancer, which actually did pretty good for the last 6-1/2 years but now the stress is eating me alive, combined with the pandemic. On top of all that, I just discovered that I tested positive for hep C and I have no idea how that happened to this old grandma with zero tattoos or drug history. Cost of treatment ~$84,000.

So I’m ready to just give up, I really am. I am not afraid of death and some days it sounds like a pretty good deal, but the friend I’m staying with now, a retired nurse, said I should go see my congressman and he is getting more and more adamant that I should do this, but I honestly wonder what that can accomplish? Anybody have any ideas? I’m rather a reticent person and can’t even imagine what I would say except to tell my story to someone who probably doesn’t have time for this and I’ll feel like an ass, especially when I feel that they’ll blame me for even being in this spot. I really really don’t want to make an ass out of myself but the only other solution is death. Sorry, this is some heavy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 03:20 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Do it. It's a last-ditch effort, and if your representative had done his/her job, you wouldn't be in this mess. Honestly, it's not your fault, and you won't look like an a$$.

Good luck, OP.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 619,145 times
Hepatitis C can be transmitted by blood. Did you have a blood transfusion before 1992? They didn't start screening until than.

In reality, there isn't much which can be done unless you meet the eligibility for a special enrollment period. Maybe they could have done something back in December if you made an issue, but it is May.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 AM

20,835 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Some of you are probably aware of my health issues and the fact that I have no health insurance but the quick recap is that I tried to sign up for Obamacare last December and got refused because I answered a question wrong, and by the time I figured that out, it put me past the deadline.

This is extra frightening to me because I have cancer and I’m 61, so I’m not eligible for Medicare and I’m not eligible for Medicaid either because I have a retirement account and I live in MO. Just so you don’t feel too sorry for me though, I have only ever done holistic medicine for my cancer, which actually did pretty good for the last 6-1/2 years but now the stress is eating me alive, combined with the pandemic. On top of all that, I just discovered that I tested positive for hep C and I have no idea how that happened to this old grandma with zero tattoos or drug history. Cost of treatment ~$84,000.

So I’m ready to just give up, I really am. I am not afraid of death and some days it sounds like a pretty good deal, but the friend I’m staying with now, a retired nurse, said I should go see my congressman and he is getting more and more adamant that I should do this, but I honestly wonder what that can accomplish? Anybody have any ideas? I’m rather a reticent person and can’t even imagine what I would say except to tell my story to someone who probably doesn’t have time for this and I’ll feel like an ass, especially when I feel that they’ll blame me for even being in this spot. I really really don’t want to make an ass out of myself but the only other solution is death. Sorry, this is some heavy stuff.
Write to your congressman's office. State your frustrations clearly and precisely. Indicate it's urgent and ask for their assistance Congressmen and your Senator. keep copies. include all your contact information. Ask for help.

It's ok to ask for help that is what they are there for.

Last edited by AADAD; 05-21-2020 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
Hepatitis C can be transmitted by blood. Did you have a blood transfusion before 1992? They didn't start screening until than.

In reality, there isn't much which can be done unless you meet the eligibility for a special enrollment period. Maybe they could have done something back in December if you made an issue, but it is May.
I have never had a transfusion and I had my kids back in 1992 and 1994. Surely it was standard practice to screen for hepatitis for pregnant women even in those days? I’m going to find out. I have no idea how I could’ve gotten it as I’ve never had symptoms unless what i thought were symptoms of advancing cancer were actually hep C, such as weakness and sometimes nausea and lack of appetite. I know sometimes people get it from sex but I assume it’s wilder sex than I’ve been having, lol.

As for making an issue about it back in December, how does one even do that? Truth is, I feel so helpless with all this. On ACÁ, I had a plan all picked out, the program said I had to get a document from MO stating that I’m not eligible for Medicaid in MO but it turned out I didn’t know I didn’t need that document at all because I had answered a question incorrectly, which I didn’t know until I called for help but by then it was too late. I did try making a fuss but the answer was always the same, which was buy private insurance or wait till next year or get a job with benefits.

As you can imagine, a year is a long time when you have cancer, and how am I going to get a teaching job now? And who is going to give benefits to a woman with cancer? So I tried to get private insurance and was delighted to find it not nearly as expensive as I’d anticipated, except for one thing...they weren’t going to sell me insurance at any cost, not even if I used it for anything but cancer.

So please tell me what you would have done. I’m not being snarky...I’m trying to figure out what I missed.

AADAD, I do like the idea of writing a letter first and I think I need to spell out what exactly it is that I need. I’m not feeling optimistic because it feels like it will involve asking them to bend or break the rules for me, but then, the rules totally suck. I guess I’d better use more high flown language than that, lol.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I have never had a transfusion and I had my kids back in 1992 and 1994. Surely it was standard practice to screen for hepatitis for pregnant women even in those days? I’m going to find out. I have no idea how I could’ve gotten it as I’ve never had symptoms unless what i thought were symptoms of advancing cancer were actually hep C, such as weakness and sometimes nausea and lack of appetite. I know sometimes people get it from sex but I assume it’s wilder sex than I’ve been having, lol.

As for making an issue about it back in December, how does one even do that? Truth is, I feel so helpless with all this. On ACÁ, I had a plan all picked out, the program said I had to get a document from MO stating that I’m not eligible for Medicaid in MO but it turned out I didn’t know I didn’t need that document at all because I had answered a question incorrectly, which I didn’t know until I called for help but by then it was too late. I did try making a fuss but the answer was always the same, which was buy private insurance or wait till next year or get a job with benefits.

As you can imagine, a year is a long time when you have cancer, and how am I going to get a teaching job now? And who is going to give benefits to a woman with cancer? So I tried to get private insurance and was delighted to find it not nearly as expensive as I’d anticipated, except for one thing...they weren’t going to sell me insurance at any cost, not even if I used it for anything but cancer.

So please tell me what you would have done. I’m not being snarky...I’m trying to figure out what I missed.

AADAD, I do like the idea of writing a letter first and I think I need to spell out what exactly it is that I need. I’m not feeling optimistic because it feels like it will involve asking them to bend or break the rules for me, but then, the rules totally suck. I guess I’d better use more high flown language than that, lol.
They are trained to solve problems just like this through their connections. Most congresspeople are very good and have staff to help. Just give them the facts. See what they can do. Keep in touch with us. Give them the facts. I can proof your letter to them if you want. I used to do this quite a bit.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
They are trained to solve problems just like this through their connections. Most congresspeople are very good and have staff to help. Just give them the facts. See what they can do. Keep in touch with us. Give them the facts. I can proof your letter to them if you want. I used to do this quite a bit.
Thank you AADAD! Right now I’m on the computer making sure that I’ve left no stone unturned. It seems there’s a program in MO where women with breast or cervical cancer can get on Medicaid even with money in the bank so I’m trying that but we’ll have to wait and see if I’m accepted and it leaves me to wonder what people do with other types of cancer. Seriously I would move to another country but that option is now closed as well.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:58 PM

No time to waste

Obtain letter from your doctor stating diagnosis.
Send letter to your representatives. mark urgent

You don't have time to wait.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance