Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 11:17 AM

139 posts, read 155,690 times

Advertisements

I will retire end of August and starting part B and will get a Medigap plan for my wife and I. Looking at 3 different companies.

1. United Healthcare
2. Blue Cross
3.Harvard Pilgrim

Any insights on these 3 would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks Ivan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 12:38 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im45us View Post
I will retire end of August and starting part B and will get a Medigap plan for my wife and I. Looking at 3 different companies.

1. United Healthcare
2. Blue Cross
3.Harvard Pilgrim

Thanks Ivan
No experiences with those 3, but assume you are aware that Medicare, and Medigaps, are individual plans, not "family" etc,

Old 07-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
No experiences with those 3, but assume you are aware that Medicare, and Medigaps, are individual plans, not "family" etc,
Yes I am, Thanks. The broker did say that United Health care will give a 5% family discount so that is something.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:54 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
You shouldn't experience any issue with the insurers paying claims. If Medicare approves the service, the Medigap must pay its share. Many here have UHC and BCBS. We've had no complaints on either. Harvard Pilgrim is apparently local and unique to MA - it might have lower or higher premiums depending on its risk pool. All MA policies are community-rated. Some Medigaps offer different bells and whistles - like gym memberships, possible better diagnostic/preventive benefits over and above those paid by Medicare. Other than that, the policies should be identical. Your broker should be able to provide a history of premium increases.

If later on you decide you prefer another carrier, in MA you are given a two-month window to make that change without health underwriting:
Quote:
Massachusetts has a two-month window each year (February through March) during which Medigap plans are guaranteed-issue.

https://www.medicareresources.org/states/
Thus, any decision you make now is not permanent.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You shouldn't experience any issue with the insurers paying claims. If Medicare approves the service, the Medigap must pay its share. Many here have UHC and BCBS. We've had no complaints on either. Harvard Pilgrim is apparently local and unique to MA - it might have lower or higher premiums depending on its risk pool. All MA policies are community-rated. Some Medigaps offer different bells and whistles - like gym memberships, possible better diagnostic/preventive benefits over and above those paid by Medicare. Other than that, the policies should be identical. Your broker should be able to provide a history of premium increases.

If later on you decide you prefer another carrier, in MA you are given a two-month window to make that change without health underwriting:Thus, any decision you make now is not permanent.
The problem is with in less than 6 months after I retire we will move a little further North to New Hampshire so trying to plan a little ahead. All very stressful at this point.

Thank you.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
The problem is with in less than 6 months after I retire we will move a little further North to New Hampshire....
Well, that's an important piece of information. When you inform your carrier of your new address, chances are both UHC and BCBS (probably doing business under Anthem in New Hampshire) will adjust your premium based on your new location. You may not be able to retain Harvard Pilgrim if you establish residency in New Hampshire. If that is the case, you will receive another GI period within which to purchase a new policy. You should contact Harvard Pilgrim now asking how they handle insureds who move to a different state.

If you don't want to worry about reenrolling with a different carrier, choose UHC or one of the other carriers listed on the link below currently licensed in Massachusett - but expect your premiums to change when you move. Most policies in New Hampshire are issue-age, but I notice from the schedule linked below UHC is listed as issue-age (not really correct), but continuing with its typical community-rating discounts for those under age 81, which means age-based increases cease at age 81. Issue age policies - most of those listed on that link - raise premiums only due to cost-increases. Nonetheless, it appears UHC remains quite competitive.

https://www.nh.gov/insurance/consume...ment-rates.pdf

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-07-2020 at 11:59 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 05:28 AM

I am amazed at how difficult going through this whole process of picking out insurance when getting ready to retire. I worked for the same company for the last 40 years and health insurance was picked for you and only had to make a few small choices.

It's people like Ariadne22 that help without getting anything in return who make it easier.

Thanks for every thing you do for people in this forum.

Ivan

Old 07-08-2020, 12:27 PM

Well, the good thing about Medigaps is the benefits are the same for the same letter plan no matter the carrier. UHC is the insurer for many posters on this forum - Plans F, G, N - as well as many other people I know. You wouldn't make an error choosing UHC.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:58 PM

295 posts, read 143,554 times
i am with UHC since May 2018 since then i have knee surgery, shoulder surgery -two a fib hospitalizations and now back surgery - bill - ZIP - not a penny best 125 bucks a month i have spent - yea the deductible is a ***** its like 185 bucks per year

Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:

1. United Healthcare
2. Blue Cross
3.Harvard Pilgrim

Thanks Ivan
You can go to Medicare.gov to find plans available in your area.

First thing is for Social Security to play Part B (Doctor) insurance costs. Part A (Hospital) should be paid with your work history. Part B is based on your tax bracket. Starts a $144/month.

Plans A to G or N have to cover the same items regardless of company. Then you can choose the supplement plan of your choice. Plan F used to cost the most & pay the most, providing complete coverage. Now you choose between Plan N or Plan G. It may be more important to sort what costs would be left for you to pay. You also may need a Plan D prescription drug program.

United Health Care may have discount with AARP membership. Blue Cross could be good to compare with a Humana or Etna or the Harvard Pilgrim. The AARP could mean fewer premium increase in the future (no guarantee).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance