Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 05:10 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
Things I'm concerned about with going on medicare coverage and costs :

#1. out of pocket expenses and keeping them as low as possible.
#2. no increases in policy premiums as I age
#3. ease of switching from say medigap to medicare advantage plan and vice versa if I change my mind.
#4. good coverage if say have to go into a nursing home.

Any quick easy answers would be helpful...just getting started and will be 65 in a few months, gotta figure out this confusing stuff !

Should I choose a Medigap or Medicare advantage plan ?! Medigap plan G ( as are some Medicare advantage plans ) is looking good but can't find out much about Out of pocket limits as of yet which can bankrupt folks.

Am in NC if it matters and have no health problems other than dental issues. On no drugs , etc. I've been very fortunate health wise so far, knock wood.
Did you read at least the first 20 posts in this thread? Do this first. Most of your questions are answered.

1. Medigap limits out of pocket expenses to premiums paid and items not covered by Medicare. Posters here are very pleased with their Medigaps.

2. Choose an issue-age Medigap when you enroll - premium may be higher at first, but only increases going forward will be imposed by inflation in medical expenses over time. Otherwise, a community-rated AARP UHC Medigap will limit age-based increases considerably after age 80. Most here have a AARP UHC plan. Many also have the high-deductible G. Beware attained-age Medigaps - cheaper at first, but should health become an issue your only option is Advantage as Medigaps will impose health underwriting for those outside a guaranteed issue period.

3. Guaranteed Issue - ability to switch back and forth between Medigap and Advantage is governed by state law - and not available to you in NC unless you move out of the Advantage plan's service area or you wish to exercise your Trial Right during first year of Advantage enrollment to switch to a Medigap.

4. Medigap, in particular, by far will prove most cost-effective should you need rehab in an SNF. Advantage plans impose copays and rigorous oversight. NEITHER Medigap or Advantage pay for permanent nursing home care. For that you need LTC insurance and/or your own assets - and eventually Medicaid when the foregoing are exhausted.

If you haven't yet, read this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

And, again, read this thread from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 05:33 PM

339 posts, read 318,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Did you read at least the first 20 posts in this thread? Do this first. Most of your questions are answered.

1. Medigap limits out of pocket expenses to premiums paid and items not covered by Medicare. Posters here are very pleased with their Medigaps.

2. Choose an issue-age Medigap when you enroll - premium may be higher at first, but only increases going forward will be imposed by inflation in medical expenses over time. Otherwise, a community-rated AARP UHC Medigap will limit age-based increases considerably after age 80. Most here have a AARP UHC plan. Many also have the high-deductible G. Beware attained-age Medigaps - cheaper at first, but should health become an issue your only option is Advantage as Medigaps will impose health underwriting for those outside a guaranteed issue period.

3. Guaranteed Issue - ability to switch back and forth between Medigap and Advantage is governed by state law - and not available to you in NC unless you move out of the Advantage plan's service area or you wish to exercise your Trial Right during first year of Advantage enrollment to switch to a Medigap.

4. Medigap, in particular, by far will prove most cost-effective should you need rehab in an SNF. Advantage plans impose copays and rigorous oversight. NEITHER Medigap or Advantage pay for permanent nursing home care. For that you need LTC insurance and/or your own assets - and eventually Medicaid when the foregoing are exhausted.

If you haven't yet, read this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

And, again, read this thread from the beginning.
honestly, I breezed through them ( granted, not near thoroughly enough as I should have ) for am having to go through so terribly much now trying to figure all this out, it's mind boggling. ( I think I had 5 different website windows open on the subject at the time I wrote that looking at info. )
You really seem like a very knowledgeable & wonderfully helpful person on the issue and I, and feel sure everyone else here wondering about it all, appreciates your help very much. THANK YOU !

Old 09-28-2020, 05:13 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
" ...........You really seem like a very knowledgeable & wonderfully helpful person on the issue and I, and feel sure everyone else here wondering about it all, appreciates your help very much. THANK YOU !
Agree. It is confusing, unnecessarily so (but that's another discussion). My aha moment came after thoroughly reading all the many posts here on CD and in particular posts by Ariadne22 re Medicare, MA and supplements. When the information book came from Medicare just before signup, I felt I was able to make a informed decision.

FWIW, I went with Plan G from AARP/UHC. Other than the premium cost and B deductible, I haven't paid a penny more. Very pleased, but a minor gripe not related to coverage, the UHCs website could be better.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:13 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,212,297 times
I am starting to investigate plans for my wife who turns 65 next July. I am on a HD-F plan and I am sure she will go with a HD-G plan. Back when I turned 65 Ariadne22 helped me tremendously. At some point he posted a chart that showed all of the companies with HD plans, their rating and cost. The only difference this time is we will most likely be living in Arkansas instead of Alabama.

Right now I am trying to find approximate costs and companies without having to talk to an agent. To me an insurance agent rates right up there with a used car salesman.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:40 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am starting to investigate plans for my wife who turns 65 next July. I am on a HD-F plan and I am sure she will go with a HD-G plan. Back when I turned 65 Ariadne22 helped me tremendously. At some point he posted a chart that showed all of the companies with HD plans, their rating and cost. The only difference this time is we will most likely be living in Arkansas instead of Alabama.

Right now I am trying to find approximate costs and companies without having to talk to an agent. To me an insurance agent rates right up there with a used car salesman.
When I moved to Tennessee and was looking to change my High Deductible F plan to a new provider, I went through an agent. He was really good and did all the legwork to see which company would cover me with a specific condition I had. Really nice guy and saved me a lot of time and energy even though he did not make much of a commission on my high deductible F policy.

Not all insurance agents are horrible; same for used car salesman. I actually sold used cars at one point in my life and did not consider myself as a bad person for doing that.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:19 AM

363 posts, read 349,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
When I moved to Tennessee and was looking to change my High Deductible F plan to a new provider,

why did you want to change companies?

Old 09-30-2020, 05:45 AM

469 posts, read 761,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am starting to investigate plans for my wife who turns 65 next July. I am on a HD-F plan and I am sure she will go with a HD-G plan...The only difference this time is we will most likely be living in Arkansas instead of Alabama.

Right now I am trying to find approximate costs and companies without having to talk to an agent.
The 'Agency on Aging' office in each state has SHIP (Senior Health Insurance Program) counselors who may be willing to email you a Medigap rate chart. They are volunteers, so some are more helpful than others.

Locate a SHIP Counselor: https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com...National/SHIP/

I show the following HD-G rates for an Arkansas female currently turning 65 (non-tobacco):

$45.59 - Bankers Fidelity
$45.61 - Humana
$46.00 - United American (I would choose this one if the rates are similar next summer. They specialize in high deductible Medigaps.)
$46.71 - Garden State Life
$48.20 - BCBS Arkansas

Alabama HD-G rates:

$27.00 - United American
$32.13 - New Era Life
$38.98 - Omaha Life (Mutual of Omaha)
$41.04 - Bankers Fidelity

Old 09-30-2020, 07:41 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
why did you want to change companies?
We moved from Florida to Tennessee where the rates are lower. My wife has has plan N with United Health/AARP and they reduced her premium to match that in Tennessee. My high deductible F was with United American and they did not reduce my premium so I changed companies. I went from $69 per month in Florida to $41 with Banker's Fidelity.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,857 times
Talking AARP United Health part F .. thx you for sharing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We've done great with AARP United Health part F

No referrals needed. High deductible. No co-pay

We have only paid a total of 5.00 in 10 years. (And, that was probably something that Dr didn't submit and we missed it)
i am now going thru all the posts. omg ! my head is swimming.

now how did you research this part F ?
are you a member of AARP ? is that how you started.

thx you for sharing

Old 11-08-2020, 05:18 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane16080 View Post
i am now going thru all the posts. omg ! my head is swimming.

now how did you research this part F ?
The federal Medicare program has parts.

Part A - Hospital
Part B - Doctor, labs, etc.
Part C - Advantage Plans
Part D - Drugs

Medigap Supplement has plans - A - N which Supplement Medicare Parts A, B:

Unless you turned 65 before January 2020, you are no longer eligible for Plan F. The next most comprehensive plan is Plan G.

Since you are just beginning to familiarize yourself w/Medicare, read this post - and ALL the links in that post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/59453454-post3.html

In the end, your choices come down to these:
  • G - 100% after payment of $198 deductible, includes excess fee coverage
  • N - 100% after payment of $198 deductible, up to 20% copay dr. visit, $50 ER; no excess coverage
  • HD-G - Medicare pays 80%, you pay 20% up to $2,340 deductible; thereafter plan pays 100%, includes excess coverage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance