Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 08:38 AM

809 posts, read 1,181,249 times

Advertisements

Just curious if others received this as well? Received a letter from UHC AARP in regards to our Part B, Plan G deductible. In the past once we saw drs in the beginning of the year, our deductible was billed directly to us after they got an EOB from both MC and secondary AARP UHC. Now AARP UHC is asking if we want them to:

A). Withdraw the deductible amount from our checking account on the first of January every calendar year to pay directly to the drs, or

B). Withdraw from our checking account when they get a claim from the drs to which we will owe the deductible amount.

Sounds like (B) would certainly make things easier. We won’t have to get bills, send in a check or call to,pay with CC.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 12:34 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
I avoid, whenever possible, any automatic withdrawals/access to my bank account. Only things directly charged are for what I actually owe - mortgage, utilities, credit cards - expenses where nonpayment could create a big hassle and/or penalties.

"B" on its face sounds good - except if for some obscure reason there should be an error (your account debited incorrectly) or a provider dispute. In other words, you've given up control on the final decision on payment.

In short, I would not allow UHC to debit anything but the actual premium I owe UHC - and even that I would put on a credit card if it was a payment option.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-18-2022 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-18-2022, 12:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
DH and I got the letter. No way I would allow this. Too many mistakes can be made, and then you have to unravel them yourself.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:44 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
DH and I got the letter. No way I would allow this. Too many mistakes can be made, and then you have to unravel them yourself.
Exactly. You said it better than I did in many fewer words.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:11 PM

809 posts, read 1,181,249 times
Thank you for the responses. At one time I put so many of my bills on my credit card because I got 2-3% back. Then twice in one year my CC was compromised. It took quite a while to straighten out. I decided to have the bills taken from my bank account instead. My Part B and Part D are taken right from my SS check. I am going to leave it as it is. Thank you again.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 PM

3,042 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Just curious if others received this as well? Received a letter from UHC AARP in regards to our Part B, Plan G deductible. In the past once we saw drs in the beginning of the year, our deductible was billed directly to us after they got an EOB from both MC and secondary AARP UHC. Now AARP UHC is asking if we want them to:

A). Withdraw the deductible amount from our checking account on the first of January every calendar year to pay directly to the drs, or

B). Withdraw from our checking account when they get a claim from the drs to which we will owe the deductible amount.

Sounds like (B) would certainly make things easier. We won’t have to get bills, send in a check or call to,pay with CC.

Thoughts?
I don't like A at all. No reason for UHC to withdraw any money before you get any service. Let any Dr bill go thru the usual process for the Dr to charge, Medicare to allow, then UHC to pay the difference. May be best to let the Dr charge directly.
Don't like B any better. No reason for UHC to withdraw anything more than their premium. Don't like having UHC responsible for paying Dr bill. Best to pay Dr bill myself.

In either case better have deductible amount in your checking account. I'd rather have the funds in an emergency savings account. Funds will be available when the service is provided. Until then sits in savings until needed. How many have AARP CC with 2% cash back on medical expense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance