Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 02:49 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Next time tell the receptionist no thanks.
And/or ask her why the practice isn't taking advantage of a web-based patient portal for quick routine communications like this. I realize that subscribing to a patient portal service costs the practice something and that they'll try to pass some of that cost on to their patients, but it must still cost less than billing patients for personal Telehealth visits that require the doctor's phone presence in real time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-13-2023 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 07:40 PM

249 posts, read 125,113 times
With regard to telehealth visit coverage, BC/BS requires that the physician you use be licensed in the state in which you are located at the time of the visit. Other insurance providers may vary, so you might want to check. I don't know how they would know where you're calling from, but I know of someone whose claim was rejected because she had a telehealth visit with her hometown doctor while she was away at college, but the doctor wasn't licensed in her college town.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:29 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I had my annual physical at the beginning of the year. Billed the usual $500 or so before insurance. Prescriptions were ordered (refills authorized to be precise) and labwork ordered. I went to a clinic and did the labwork (I paid the clinic for the labs). The clinic called me and told me the (benign) results of the labs and that they were being sent to my doctor. Again, the clinic said no major issues.

About a week later, the doctor's receptionist calls me, leaves message that the doctor wants to review my labs via the phone. I call back, but only can reserve a future appointment. At the appointed hour, I phone and am put on a long hold (20+ minutes), whereafter the doctor gets on the phone and tells me the labs all look good. Two minute conversation maximum, mostly pleasantries. I said thank you, and that was that. Billed $100 the next day for a "telehealth visit." I'm going to chat with my insurer, but this just seems excessive.

An annual physical in my opinion should include any review of the results of that physical, even if it happens weeks later. Also, a "no problems" result can be handled in writing -- email or even a letter -- and asynchronously. Do not need to speak to the doctor in real time for basically zero new information.

That's a ridiculous charge, $100 for telehealth to say it's good? I'd bring it up to the doctor, possibly find a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance