Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 10:57 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,750,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
We use goodrx for all of our prescriptions because their price is less than the copays on our Part D plan. We carry the cheapest part D ($9/month) only to avoid future penalties for not having it and signing up later when we might have more expensive drugs. Mark Cuban's cost plus drugs provides the same function, and Amazon recently started their own pharmacy. You can check part D premiums on medicare.gov.

You can also check medigap plan premiums on medicare.gov. All plans designated type G provide the same level of coverage and pay the Medicare 20% copay amounts for all Medicare covered service. We've use United Health since beginning Medicare. There are differences in how plans will determine premiums in future years and have differing rules for switching plans and/or carriers in future years.
Thank you for the tip regarding checking the premiums on medicare.gov. I will look into this.

Coincidentally I was going to look into United Health because I have had it through my current employer for my own health insurance for years now and have been very happy with it.

I have heard of goodrx before; this is all so good to know regarding Part D; appreciate the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Some retirees I know in SC picked Traditional Medicare with a supplement, one of them had Medicare Advantage, but when she needed surgery in another state Medicare Advantage wouldn't pay for it.
My mother's stroke happened when I went out of the country (I'd been trying to get her to come with me but she just happened to stay behind in the US). My last ER visit for myself was actually on a trip to my mom's state to visit her, so I am a bit paranoid about needing services outside of the location you reside in, which is part of the reason I am a bit leery of going the Advantage route (outside of my originally posted reasons).

Old 08-20-2023, 11:01 AM

7,849 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

I'm currently thinking Part A/B + D + G.

I know no one individual can advise me as to exactly what to do, but any tips on how to select the right plan for her?
I agree with your selection above.

When it comes to D plans, what matters is the current list of prescription drugs your mom takes. The best combination of premiums & point-of-sale co-pays and deductibles depends on the specific meds. Insurance brokers tend to use software to compare plans - they put in variables & out spits several plans from which to choose. One might have higher monthly premiums but lower co-pays; another the reverse. Then you decide which.

As meds change, you change form one plan to another.

When it comes to G plans, you ONLY compare based on price. Nothing else. All G plans offer identical coverage by law/regulation, so you compare based on price. Each year, you a different G plan vendor may be less expensive, and you switch to that one.

The imperative thing is to start off with that G plan to begin with. At initial Medicare sign up, the G plan insurance companies cannot turn her down (by law/regulation).

The mistake (IMHO) some people make is to start off with a "Medicare Advantage" plan to begin with (the type advertised non-stop on TV and for which your mom will be inundated with telemarketers and snail mail flyers).

The issue is - if it makes sense for your mom to switch to a G plan several years down the road, she may not be able to do so. G plan providers can decide not to enroll your mom if she first starts off with Medicare Advantage and then decides she prefers the G plan.

Medicare Advantage plans can make sense for some people in certain situations such as those who are indigent.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:02 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
OP, you mentioned Mom may be eligible for Medicaid. You and/or she should check if she is "dual-eligible" for both Medicare and Medicaid.

Start by contacting SC's "SHIP" office for assistance.

See https://www.shiphelp.org/about-medic...south-carolina

Old 08-20-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Thanks for this info!

Old 08-20-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
OP, you mentioned Mom may be eligible for Medicaid. You and/or she should check if she is "dual-eligible" for both Medicare and Medicaid.

Start by contacting SC's "SHIP" office for assistance.

See https://www.shiphelp.org/about-medic...south-carolina
That is correct and I totally agree.

I've been in conversations about this for a while and so far the consensus is that she should actually indeed qualify for both, as she is both disabled and now turning 65 thus eligible for Medicare. We've actually been pending Medicaid for a year and a half now because we applied for it when she went into the hospital last spring just before she entered her current nursing home; except she was recently denied Medicaid at the time she was denied disability (which is a common occurrence) so we happen to be in 'round two' of her disability (and thus Medicaid) application basically.

I will indeed check out SC's "SHIP" office resources though; thank you!

Old 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

When it comes to D plans, what matters is the current list of prescription drugs your mom takes. The best combination of premiums & point-of-sale co-pays and deductibles depends on the specific meds. Insurance brokers tend to use software to compare plans - they put in variables & out spits several plans from which to choose. One might have higher monthly premiums but lower co-pays; another the reverse. Then you decide which.

When it comes to G plans, you ONLY compare based on price. Nothing else. All G plans offer identical coverage by law/regulation, so you compare based on price. Each year, you a different G plan vendor may be less expensive, and you switch to that one.

The imperative thing is to start off with that G plan to begin with. At initial Medicare sign up, the G plan insurance companies cannot turn her down (by law/regulation).

The mistake (IMHO) some people make is to start off with a "Medicare Advantage" plan to begin with (the type advertised non-stop on TV and for which your mom will be inundated with telemarketers and snail mail flyers).

The issue is - if it makes sense for your mom to switch to a G plan several years down the road, she may not be able to do so. G plan providers can decide not to enroll your mom if she first starts off with Medicare Advantage and then decides she prefers the G plan.

Medicare Advantage plans can make sense for some people in certain situations such as those who are indigent.
Well, I will say this - my mom is indeed indigent.

And everything you wrote makes sense and is in essence the reason why it immediately stood out to me that the aforementioned combo (A, B + D + G) made the most sense to me. I really do not want her to need to switch plans later to say a G and not be able to. And it seems she'd be more restricted physician-wise with the MA plan which is a not so insignificant matter considering we're just starting to establish a 'care team' for her.

Last but not least, I see Plan G has a foreign travel component. It's possible I may be traveling again starting in 2024 and although not highly likely, it's possible she could end up going with me somewhere traveling either domestically or abroad, and I like the peace of mind the Plan G + international health insurance coverage (i.e, Cigna, Allianz, etc.) provides.

Thanks so much for all of your insight.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,210,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

Disagree with your statement on plan g. I have read many times some insurers are to be avoided due to "closing the books" and in a few years and facing large price increases down the road. Mutual of Omaha is one that has been know to do this IIRC.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:16 AM

Oh -

I totally forgot the name of the program, I believe it is through Medicaid (?), but there may be assistance for my mom who is virtually no-income at this time, to support in paying for her Medicare. I am looking into this.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:25 AM

A few questions in case anyone knows the answer/s:

I plan to apply for Medicare exactly 3 months prior to my mom's 65th birthday as my understanding is the enrollment period opens 3 months prior to her turning 65. Am I correct to assume she will 'not' get a Medicare card until on or after her 65th? Or is it possible it could come to her say a few weeks before her turning 65?

When we apply online, we only apply for Parts A/B/D online on the Medicare site correct? (Or is it only Parts A/B?)

When we contact the separate underwriter for Plan G, is that something that can be done the same day as applying for the above Parts A/B/D? Or do we have to wait for confirmation of actual enrollment in Original Medicare first? I'm trying to understand if the Supplemental enrollment period starts at the same exact time essentially (meaning can I apply for Plan G for her the same day I apply for parts A/B [and D])...or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance