Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2023, 07:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times

Advertisements

I'm 74 and currently paying $262 for my Part G Medigap Plan through CIGNA. The Medicare website shows the same plan from other companies that start at a much lower amount. I know it depends on age, so I'm not exactly sure what it would be for me.

The thing is I believe I heard that they can't take preexisting conditions into account the first time you sign with a company, but can if you change companies. Is this true? I have preexisting conditions and don't want to waste my time if I won't be accepted.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 09:34 AM

13 posts, read 11,656 times
In most states, insurers will require underwriting to purchase a Medicare Supplement outside of initial enrollment or a Special Enrollment Period.

States which have guarantee issue rights or a "birthday rule" allowing changes are listed here: https://integritysenior.com/medigap-birthday-rule/

Old 10-14-2023, 10:05 AM

Thanks. Pennsylvania isn't on there. So, I'll just forget about it.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I'm 74 and currently paying $262 for my Part G Medigap Plan through CIGNA. The Medicare website shows the same plan from other companies that start at a much lower amount. I know it depends on age, so I'm not exactly sure what it would be for me.

The thing is I believe I heard that they can't take preexisting conditions into account the first time you sign with a company, but can if you change companies. Is this true? I have preexisting conditions and don't want to waste my time if I won't be accepted.

Thanks.
Yes
Depending on the company as to what their rules are for what pre-existing conditions
Try to find an independent agent for your area who can give you better info

I have 77 yr old friend in Tarrant County TX area who had a Cigna F plan—no long available for new Medicare joiners—
She wanted a lower cost plan
Was able to get a G with another company and met their underwriting standards so no up charge
She has history of breast cancer (more that 5 years clear) and takes heart medication for heart condition—
Not sure what it is—maybe arrythmia—

Her agent helped her find it—same one who put her with Cigna supplement originally

Old 10-16-2023, 06:13 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Go online to Boomer Benefits or call them - https://boomerbenefits.com/?msclkid=...ded%20Keywords

I've belonged to their Facebook group for years - hearing the ins and outs of these plans and issues that come up. Unfortunately, I couldn't sign up through them because they were not allowed to operate in NY state. Since we moved down south - I'm calling them today to get new policies. The benefit is that they as brokers step in if there is a problem with the billing, coding ect between your doctors and the insurance companies. I had to argue myself over charges with a dr's office and it took days and hours on the phone to get a result - never again - I'll let them do it.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Go online to Boomer Benefits or call them - https://boomerbenefits.com/?msclkid=...ded%20Keywords

I've belonged to their Facebook group for years - hearing the ins and outs of these plans and issues that come up. Unfortunately, I couldn't sign up through them because they were not allowed to operate in NY state. Since we moved down south - I'm calling them today to get new policies. The benefit is that they as brokers step in if there is a problem with the billing, coding ect between your doctors and the insurance companies. I had to argue myself over charges with a dr's office and it took days and hours on the phone to get a result - never again - I'll let them do it.
I think they are excellent agents
But I thought they only worked with people they actually signed up for Medicare initially

Old 10-16-2023, 08:30 PM

I called Boomer Benefits. I can't change in Pennsylvania without underwriting and I will be refused because I have stage 3 CKD. So, that's that.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:20 PM

533 posts, read 479,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think they are excellent agents
But I thought they only worked with people they actually signed up for Medicare initially
That shouldn't' matter. They'll get commissions off you no matter what age you sign up.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:38 PM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
I just went through underwriting and waiting the results for the new policy which I assume shouldn't be a problem as I have no issues. Boomers has been great but now I wonder if I should get dental or not. Just had the cataracts done so I shouldn't need a vision plan.

Old 10-25-2023, 06:53 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I just went through underwriting and waiting the results for the new policy which I assume shouldn't be a problem as I have no issues. Boomers has been great but now I wonder if I should get dental or not. Just had the cataracts done so I shouldn't need a vision plan.
Just a note that vision plans are typically for routine annual eye exams and prescription glasses or contacts, which Medicare doesn't cover. Medicare does cover an eye exam after cataract removal, but that's generally going to be a one-time deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance