Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,557,816 times

Advertisements

So - I went off a 2 month course of low does tetracycline [minoxidil] for a recurrent sebaceous cyst Thursday

I am on a PPI (omeprazole 20mg twice a day)

I went of BP medicine (Avalide 150/12.5) June 9th.

------

Since then - the daily average BP is great, with a mean of 110/70 and ocassioanal short swings into 130/85 and 95/55land but not every day and only transient.. and no matter what the pulse pressure is a pretty steady 40.....but I am taking it every two hours ....... AND I did not have the reflux until AFTER I went off the tetracycline.

Now I am a churnin urn of burning funk. I am pretty sure it is all gastro because my stomach hurts, gurgles, burps, throat is sore, and yes the esophagus burns, along with nausea, but I realize the pain plus I have been doing interval training and pushing the pulse up to 150 with no ill effects. [at 55, maybe I could go further on an interval but I am running about 130 for 5 minutes, then get it up to 150 for one minute [it is only 150 for a matter of seconds because I am only pushing hard for 1 minute] and recovery rate is adequate (about 15-20 beats a minute while still on the crosstrainer slowing down but not stopped)---I also logged BP right before and right after and those are good too (can't log during with my cuff)

I have had to add zantac [allowed] and tums [ok] and adjusted my diet, and sleeping with my head up, and not eating for 4 hours before laying down etc...so yes I am drinking coffee in the morning but have cut consumption DRASTICALLY down to 2 cups a day.....but owwwww

I am also having hot flashy feeling things where my skin feels flushed but no fever.

This has been going on starting last Friday. I am calling doctors office tomorrow but has anyone experienced something like this? I put out all the factors but I think could play into it but I am wondering if going off the antibiotic was relevant [like maybe H pylori gone wild] Any advice? I know I want to get off the darned things but understand that can be an inferno in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
I had H.pylori a few years ago. My symptoms were cramping about an hour after I had eaten, that went on for a few more hours. Just when it faded, I had to eat again. What you describe sounds like classic reflux.I would cut the coffee totally and eat only mild and small stuff, maybe 6 times/day.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 AM

Thanks. I will try that. God knows at 1250 calories a day I am eating small but it is easy to eat less when you feel like this. Going through and looking for more culprits to delete from the diet. I think ab crunches are going to have to go for awhile. In this case I usually feel better for a short while after I eat.

Yeah, I am a big coffee drinker but yesterday cut it down to 2 cups. I realize I am going to have to cut more but the headache that goes along with missing coffee is as bad as the reflux! And it actually seems to lower my bp [but it is doing ok without it]

Never had it this bad with the nausea and gurgling before (got put on the PPI after chronic sore throad and cough along with a scope that conformed reflux - but I only had occassional burns the first time)

-----

Not trying any alternative remedies right now - just need to get through this but I really do wonder this PPI approach. I think they are NOT good and encourage dependancy and don't fix anything - BUT when you are n the throes of it..........................

Last edited by grannynancy; 06-24-2010 at 03:04 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Kudzu pudding might be a help. It isn't an alternative "remedy" as much as something that can allow the stomach to heal, and reduce the pain. About a tablespoon of kudzu root in a couple cups of apple juice and peppermint tea, dissolve and heat unit it turns clear, cool for pudding. Kudzu root is available in well stocked health food stores and Whole Foods.

PPIs are wildly overprescribed. Never cared for them or the idea because they thwart a major way the body protects itself from bugs in food.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Antibiotics are hard on your system. Obviously talk to your doctor about it but try something(pill or food) with digestive bacteria in it. Dairy free would be the easiest to deal with. When I cut my coffee down I get nauseated and flushed feeling too.I thought there was something really wrong with me when I cut it cold turkey and felt like I had the flu. I choked 4oz down and felt better. Had another full cup and was fine. Strange thing was I did not have much of a headache. Try spreading those two cups over the day. It seems to help if you have to keep it low dose and steady. Less acid for your stomach to deal with all at once too. Get a darker roast coffee. It will be easier on your stomach. (lower acidity)

Old 06-24-2010, 12:54 PM

I will have to check out the kudzu root - the peppermint though I heard was a no no for reflux.

I am excited to hear dark roast coffee has lower acidity. I can get some of the good stuff at whole foods since I am drinking so little. Yes, I have only had one cup today.

I have to admit - my BP is actually running lower today- but it could be normal variation or even that the reflux is not as bad and not stressing me. Or it could be less coffee. I hate the further limits on food because killing tomatoes, peppers, onions, takes away some good potassium sources

What about Aloe Vera juice? Any experience. You know before this hit me 2 years ago, I had no problem eating mexican with el yucatca habanero sauce. OY.

Oh, yes I am doing 3 oz drinks of kefir throughout the day. Skim milk kefir made from grains. That does seem to help some.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 PM

I think I saw an aloe juice with that digestive bacteria in it when I was shopping too....I will pm you it if I remember... but that does really settle the stomach. Go easy on it though because it can run right through you. Also check if you can mix it with your meds you have. Aloe can not be taken with certain things.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think I saw an aloe juice with that digestive bacteria in it when I was shopping too....I will pm you it if I remember... but that does really settle the stomach. Go easy on it though because it can run right through you. Also check if you can mix it with your meds you have. Aloe can not be taken with certain things.
The good news is the ONLY meds I am taking now are pravastatin and omeprazole (and the zantac) and I may be able to get off the statin soon too......my last cholesterol was 150 and the HDL and LDL were "almost there" but that was 6 months ago.... and with the current BP so good!

Lets hear it for turning things around with diet and excercise!

Like anything I will do my research first. Popular folks rememdies can have serious health effects so I am very cautious. Now kefir, no, that has been used safely for centuries.

Last edited by grannynancy; 06-24-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM

This is slooowly improving. I did the aloe juice - small amount - no change
The kefir, OTOH is phenomenal - immediate relief going down and sustained relief for several hours.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM

Thats good. It probably needed the kefir more so. Keep eating it! ☺ Aloe juice is good for dry sore throats too so you don't feel like you wasted it. (gargle) I do love that "ahhh" feeling of digestive bacteria when you have it. Could you feel yourself deflating? I know that sounds odd to say it like that but its the only way I can think to describe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness