Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,017,319 times

Advertisements

And here is my recipe...works for ticks, mosquitoes, and deer flies.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...l#post14720221
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,433 times
Burt's Bees has an insect repellant with citronella oil that works well for my family. It smells like citrus fruit/lemons, but not so girly that the guys won't use it. I got it at Whole Foods.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Take a safe high daily dosage of Vitamin B1. Bugs hate it.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
On the recipe previously mentioned: I don't think you can even get wormwood in the USA; as far as I know it's illegal to sell and if you're finding it, it's probably not the real deal. Avoid rosemary if you (or whoever using it) is epileptic. Avoid the garlic unless you're planning on enjoying being bug-free alone. Also, garlic can stain clothing, and burn the skin if applied directly.

What I'd recommend is:

1/4 cup of olive oil (right from the kitchen cupboard), because it's good for your skin and makes an excellent carrier oil.
Then, the following essential oils (not essence oils, or scent oils. Essential oils, undiluted, unadulterated. You're doing the diluting with the olive oil so you want this stuff pure):

2 drops peppermint
2 drops black pepper
3 drops lavender
2 drops citronella
2 drops bergamot

Mix all that up, store it in a dark glass bottle, keep it in a cool spot but not the refrigerator.
That should be enough to last you a couple of weeks, for 1 person. You'll be applying only a few drops total at a time to all the exposed parts of your body and on your ankles, even if you're wearing high socks.

If you're not using it on pets, you can also add a few drops of tea tree oil, and that'll keep the gnats away.

Combined, the whole thing will smell pretty nice, almost like a men's cologne. But the bugs will hate it. It's a repellant, not an insecticide.

Edited to add: If you prefer to use something non-oily, then use either vodka or grain alcohol instead of oil, and keep it stored in a dark or opaque pump-spray bottle. Then you can just spray it on. Only problem with the alcohol, is it will absorb into the skin quicker, and sweat out quicker as well so you'll use up more of it than with the oil. Makes a pretty nice cologne though

Last edited by AnonChick; 06-22-2010 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: to add another suggestion for use

Old 06-23-2010, 06:11 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Its not illegal to sell wormwood. Its illegal to sell absinthe. Maybe thats what you were thinking of?

Herb Pharm, Wormwood, 1 fl oz (29.6 ml) - iHerb.com

I like that brand for extracts. Its a nice company run out of Portland. (herb pharm)

Wash with neem soap:
Organix South, TheraNeem, Maximum Strength Neem Therapé Cleansing Bar, 4 oz (113 g) - iHerb.com

You can get it at whole foods too. Layer whatever you make on top of it. That brand is pretty ok. Just go for "max strength" of whatever brand. You may be able to find it at natural stores. I order online. Neem soap can more drying on certain skin types. I like it for that reason.

I have been using tea tree shampoo/neem soap. I usually get eaten alive but I was not bitten anywhere near my face/hair/neck the other day when it was everyone's problem. I only got a bite on the back of my hand. My tea tree shampoo also has rosemary in the conditioner.

I know this is not exactly a recipe but I was surprise what rosemary + tea tree + neem did. I never tried all three together but they work great!

tip on "non-oil": You can also use water + vegetable glycerin as a base for sprays.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,644,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
And here is my recipe...works for ticks, mosquitoes, and deer flies.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...l#post14720221

Where do you get those ingredients? Especially pyrethrum??

Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,361 times
Tea tree oil and lavender as a previous poster mentioned, work wonders.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM

pyrethrum is extracted from marigolds, it's a natural flea repellant.

And no I meant wormwood. Absinthe IS legal in the USA, as long as it is thujone-free. Wormwood's primary chemical component is thujone, which is a neuro-toxin if introduced through the skin or into the digestive system in high or regular doses. Responsible aromatherapists do not recommend its use, or sell it, to anyone, for any reason.

Edited to clarify: wormwood *extract* is not the same as wormwood essential oil. Extract is diluted, essential oil is not. Wormwood grows in the USA, if you wanted to make an infusion with it, that might be useful. But again, that would be a dilution, not an essential oil, which can be dangerous.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,017,319 times
I used to make an infused oil from pyrethrum flowers that I grew, but that didn't last through the whole "bug season". Now I buy a powdered form by the brand name "Ecozone". I think I bought it from a garden center. It's marketed as a house/yard preventative for insects.
Pyrethrum flowers are a type of chyrsanthemum. The ancient romans used to douse themselves with the powder from the dried flowers to protect against lice. It is a natural paralytic to insects and I have a great respect for its potential toxicity. I use it only in small portions for liquid recipes and avoid inhaling the dust.

Most commercial bug repellents use permethrins , which are synthetic pyrethrins.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Oh d'oh that's right chrysanthemum. I get those and marigolds mixed up. I'm not much of a flower person. But yeah I did know that it's sold in powder form. I never knew of anyone who tried to make an infusion with the flowers before.

Thanks for the correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness