Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 11,273 times

Advertisements

I'm suffering from a bad case of edema, though I'm still 35, I've been trying to read about it as I got sick of medications... and I really need to know what is the worst thing that could happen, could it really affect the heart? I have heard that when it reaches my lungs I will have to start counting my last days

I have read in epharmapedia that "Increased pressure or damage to the capillaries could cause this leakage. Whenever the body senses that the capillaries are leaking, the kidneys start retaining more sodium and water than normal in order to compensate for the lost fluid from the blood vessels. The amount of fluid circulating through the body is increased because of this, resulting in more leakage from the capillaries; and when the fluid from the capillaries leaks into the surrounding tissue, the tissue begins to swell."
what the hell does that mean??

what shall I do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
You need to see your Doctor. Edema often is a reaction to something else going on in your body (HBP, Kidney issues, Heart issues and Adrenal issues to name just a few!).

Your Doctor will decide what tests to order and what meds (if any) are needed. Do not panic but edema does need to be looked at by a MD, not merely 'diagnosed' by a site on the Net,

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
You need to see your Doctor. Edema often is a reaction to something else going on in your body (HBP, Kidney issues, Heart issues and Adrenal issues to name just a few!).

Your Doctor will decide what tests to order and what meds (if any) are needed. Do not panic but edema does need to be looked at by a MD, not merely 'diagnosed' by a site on the Net,
Exactly. There can be many causes of edema, some more or less serious than others. Don't diagnose yourself. See a doctor.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmeen87 View Post
I'm suffering from a bad case of edema, though I'm still 35, I've been trying to read about it as I got sick of medications... and I really need to know what is the worst thing that could happen, could it really affect the heart? I have heard that when it reaches my lungs I will have to start counting my last days

I have read in epharmapedia that "Increased pressure or damage to the capillaries could cause this leakage. Whenever the body senses that the capillaries are leaking, the kidneys start retaining more sodium and water than normal in order to compensate for the lost fluid from the blood vessels. The amount of fluid circulating through the body is increased because of this, resulting in more leakage from the capillaries; and when the fluid from the capillaries leaks into the surrounding tissue, the tissue begins to swell."
what the hell does that mean??

what shall I do
Edema, as far as I know, is a medical term for "swelling". Obviously swelling can either be benign or malignant. For example, cerebral edema can lead to increased intracranial pressure which can lead to death.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 PM

611 posts, read 774,344 times
Please don't mess around here trying to guess what may be causing your symptoms, yasmeen87.
Like many here have already suggested, you really do need to receive an accurate diagnoses and treatment by a physician.
He/she can only diagnose your problem by doing a complete physical exam, lab work, and other testing.
Don't wait any longer, sweetie. I hope you will get this checked out and start feeling better ASAP.

Last edited by WestWillow; 07-26-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 11,273 times
I know that I should never trust the web in general; however, the things that I read on epharmapedia were very interesting... I think everyone can learn about health, not only doctors!

I was wondering which doctor should I see first, I think it's better to see a cardiologist right?

tvdxer... yeap it's swelling.... I've been wondering why are my lower legs so shiny like the surface of the glass, in addition to that terrible swelling... I have just found the answer!

thanks for the person who suggested the vitamin c, I will try it
thanks everybody

Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Exactly. There can be many causes of edema, some more or less serious than others. Don't diagnose yourself. See a doctor.
Exactly! Now what day did you say your doctor visit was?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmeen87 View Post

thanks for the person who suggested the vitamin c, i will try it
thanks everybody
you like playing russian roulette with a fully loaded gun?

Well, trying net medical advice without seeing a doctor first is the the same damn thing!!!

WHAT THE HELL'S WRONG WITH YOU? GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Yes, you can learn things on the internet, but diagnosing yourself from the internet will often lead to a wrong conclusion. I would just start by seeing your general practitioner. Your edema may or may not be heart related. They could point you in the right direction if it was something they couldn't treat themselves.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Go to your primary care physician first. It may be as simple as HBP or it may simply be positional. There are so many "possibles" that it is up to your Doctor (who can actually see, touch, question and order tests) to sort out the possibles.

Yes, it is nice to learn about different things (including health issues) on the Net but when it is so simple to actually see your Doc regarding something that may need treatment or meds it is the intelligent decision.

There is no need to go directly to a cardiologist (in fact most require a referral to even be seen). Good luck and I hope that you take the advice given here (except the Vitamin C!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness