Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,474 times

Advertisements

I went to the podiatrist today and am looking at partial joint replacement in both of my big toes (not at the same time of course). I asked about other options and judging by the X rays, which he showed to me and DH, mine is too far gone for them (I have let this go for about 5 or 6 years and never should have). He told me it would be at least 3 weeks off of work (I am a teacher) and then three more weeks to completely heal. So, he gave me cortisone shots to hold me over (probably will need 1 or 2 more if I wait for the surgery) and said I would probably have to wait till the beginning of next summer to do it. I am seriously thinking of having it done at the beginning of Christmas break and adding a week or two on at the end for recovery. The thought of no beach or pool for my entire summer is more than I can bear (live in FL, have kids, have a pool and live 15 minutes from the beach). So, if you have had it, can I recover enough in 3 or 4 weeks to return to my job teaching Kindergarten?

Thanks!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 14,686 times
Default Toe Joint Replacement

Are you going to a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon for this procedure. I have just been told I need the same thing. He refused to give me a cortisone shot for relief while I decide. How much relief from the injection did you get. What type of replacement is offerred. I understand there are metal ones and plastic or silicone. Any other advice?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:13 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,474 times
I am going to a podiatrist who has been in practice for years and with other problems and a surgery (heel) several years ago, he has done a great job. He didn't mention what type of replacement it would be and I had no idea there were different materials for that. I wish I could give you advice, but I am totally new to this as well. The cortisone shot brought me a little relief for a short period of time and right now its not as bad as it was, but the difference is not really that noticable either. To be honest with you I am not sure the pain of the injection is worth it. My cost is just a $10 co-pay, but if I had to pay a lot more than that I definitely wouldn't do it. Now, keep in mind that I am basing that on my experience. Someone whose joint is not so far gone that he or she needs an actual replacement might get a lot more relief from the shot.

Good luck in your decision and if you get any information, please let me know!

Nancy

Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 10,569 times
My second toe on the right foot was fused several years ago. It has been uncomfortable since and gives me real problems when I attempt to hike for extended periods. I am considering allowing my podiatrist to replace the first joint in order to gain some flexibility in that toe. The doctor tells me that I should expect to be out of work for about two weeks. Does anyone have any experience that will assist me in making this decision? Thanks, Gary

Old 10-30-2010, 03:51 AM

17 posts, read 46,432 times
Default hallux limitus or stiff big toe

My mom had a stiff big toe. She's been though several podiatrists and the oral anti-inflammatory medications and cortisone injections provided no relief. Then we found Moderator cut: too new for recs, read TOS and he diagnosed it as Hallux Limitus. He did a simple surgery removing the bone spurs around the joint. My mom is now finally pain-free and up and running

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-22-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 25,689 times
hi, i have had a joint replacement in my big toe. it has been 2 months now and it is still painful and stiff. i think you would need to take at least 5 weeks off work if its a job where you are on your feet a lot.regards sue

Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 10,353 times
Cortisone ruined my toes! The medication dissolved the ligaments or tendons around my 2nd toe and it became dislocated! Don't get shots too often! I went through two major toe surgeries and now my foot is deformed. My toe sticks up and the underside of my foot is painful. The ortho surgeon shortened my toe after he fused the first joint during the first surgery, and it is a mess. They tell me there is nothing they can do about my floating toe-which now is disfunctional- I cannot bend it or move it in any manner. I will never wear sandals again. I am going to look into a joint replacement this year.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM

82 posts, read 280,002 times
I had severe arthritis in my left big toe. Insurance said I had to go to podiatrist. He put in a half joint. Still very painful. I waited until open season, changed my insurance and saw an orthopedist surgeon who specialized in the foot. He said that a whole joint should have been put in. But too late to do that so I had a 2nd op and he put in a metal plate with screws. NO MORE PAIN!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 17,018 times
I'm trying to find an orthopedic surgeon near Indianapolis that does big toe joint replacement. Both a podiatrist and one ortho surgeon suggested fusion, but I have heard so many others say "DON't do that."
Suggestions?
Elaine

Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 17,018 times
Default did you have the joint replacement?

Did you have the partial or full big toe joint replacment? How'd it go?
2 doctors have said "those don't last very long."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness