Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times

Advertisements

I think something bit me.
Saturday night we were out in the woods pretty late.
Sunday afternoon, after cooking, I notice this little blister type sore on my finger. It started out looking like a red ant bite, but no head. It doesn't itch or really hurt that bad, but it is sensitive to the touch and has swelled my finger a bit. It has also started to get almost like a blood blister look to it.

I will be going to the Dr. tomorrow if I do not see a change for the better.

If anyone has experienced this and/or has any suggestions , I would appreciate them.

My fear is a Recluse Spider bite.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
the two little white dots are pretty standard for a spider bite, ya.

A recluse, I think would have swollen your entire hand by now, and be much more serious.

It could, in all likelyhood just be a reaction your having to a less-deadly spider. Have you washed it out at all? tried lancing it to see if there's yucky stuff inside?

(I'm a real die-hard, it takes a lot for me to go to the hospital, if I get a bite, i'll scratch it open, clean it, and suffer bandaging it till it scabs/scars/goes away)

Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Thank you Fiddle,

I have been washing it, soaking it in peroxide, and trying to drain it. No puss like fluid has come out, just watery stuff.
Although, it seems to get just a tiny bit bigger each time I try to drain it.

I did some research on spider bites. Some of the symptoms include nausea, unfortunately the same symptoms appear after a weekend in the woods ! LOL

I am going to keep it soaked and see how it is in the A.M.
I don't do Dr.s very easily either,especially since the closest is at minimum, an hour away.
Thanks for your help Fiddle !

Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Thank you Fiddle,

I have been washing it, soaking it in peroxide, and trying to drain it. No puss like fluid has come out, just watery stuff.
Although, it seems to get just a tiny bit bigger each time I try to drain it.

I did some research on spider bites. Some of the symptoms include nausea, unfortunately the same symptoms appear after a weekend in the woods ! LOL

I am going to keep it soaked and see how it is in the A.M.
I don't do Dr.s very easily either,especially since the closest is at minimum, an hour away.
Thanks for your help Fiddle !
DON'T PICK AT IT Could be a bite or were you gardening or pulling brush with thorns on the stem? If your HCP has email, send this photo and see that s/he says......

Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
DON'T PICK AT IT Could be a bite or were you gardening or pulling brush with thorns on the stem? If your HCP has email, send this photo and see that s/he says......
Yes, I am not picking at it. Just if I bend my finger a certian way, it drains a bit.
I have been soaking it in warm salt water this evening. It seems to be a bit better. Still very sensitive as well as my fingernail.

I haven't been doing any yard work this weekend. If it is a bite, I am stumped that I didn't see/notice the bug. But then again, it was very dark in the woods Saturday night.

Thanks for all you help !

Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
if it is a brown recluse it will get black in the middle. and if it does that i would get to a dr. my sister was bitten by a recluse and her leg didn't swell. she just saw the black in the middle and went to a dr.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
That's it! I'm cancelling my trip! :-)))

Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I would probably get to the doctor before cellulitis gets worse. Especially on a distal digit. You will probably get an antibiotic injection and 7 days of strong oral antibiotic. Up to date on tetanus?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Yes, I am not picking at it. Just if I bend my finger a certian way, it drains a bit.
I have been soaking it in warm salt water this evening. It seems to be a bit better. Still very sensitive as well as my fingernail.

I haven't been doing any yard work this weekend. If it is a bite, I am stumped that I didn't see/notice the bug. But then again, it was very dark in the woods Saturday night.

Thanks for all you help !
There is also something called "herpetic whitlow"..... At least call the HCP

Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Yes, it does kinda look like herpetic whitlow, but pic is fuzzy. Also, doesn't it usually occur right at the paronychiae?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness