Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times

Advertisements

My 83 year old aunt is in a nursing home and she broke her hip today
She has to get operated on next week. Why does all my family think she is not going to make it. Everyone keeps saying that a broken hip is basically a death sentence in an elderly person. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
It definitely can be a dire medical situation for the elderly. Most who die of complications from a broken hip also have other medical issues going on. If your aunt is in otherwise good health, she may very well recover just fine. Hold a good thought for her and don't let your family's predictions get you down.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. She is not in such great health. I'm praying that she pulls through.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
The subsequent inactivity is usually the cause of clots. Just encourage her to do exactly what the physical therapist tells her to do. Hope she recovers.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
It IS fairly common for death to occur in the elderly after breaking a hip. My own Grandfather died after breaking his hip - he was 84 and otherwise quite healthy.

He came down with pneumonia after his operation, and then ended up with a couple of infections. It became a "one after the other" type of thing.

He was in the hospital for THREE months before he died.

Make certain that your Aunt follows all of the Dr's orders; some may seem inconsequential but it is far too easy for something to go wrong with geriatric patients.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:34 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
She has to get operated on next week. Why does all my family think she is not going to make it. Everyone keeps saying that a broken hip is basically a death sentence in an elderly person. Thoughts?

So sorry to hear about your aunt.

I would hope that the nursing home would be able to offer rehab services that would maximize the chance that she will get back to her previous level of functioning. Good care in the hospital postop should minimize the risk of things like pneumonia and blood clots in the legs.

She may find some of the things they will do after surgery annoying. For example, they may use pulsatile stockings to help prevent clots. Many folks do not like them, but they work. If possible, someone should stay at the hospital with her round the clock.

Do we know the circumstances that led to the fracture?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
No, but generally speaking, living in a nursing home is. Have you ever been to one of those places?

Do you not have ANYONE in the family who can take her in and care for her?

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 PM

She lives in Italy unfortunatley. She is all alone in the hospital right now Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-01-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No, but generally speaking, living in a nursing home is. Have you ever been to one of those places?

Do you not have ANYONE in the family who can take her in and care for her?

20yrsinBranson

It can be difficult to find a good nursing home, but sometimes that is the only alternative. My mother was in one for three and a half years, and got excellent care. She required 24 hour a day care, with frequent turning, after a devastating stroke, and I had to work and could not afford to pay for in home caregivers. She never developed a single bedsore, and I was able to visit her almost daily.

So for some of us, the nursing home is not the best alternative, but the only one.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
She lives in Italy unfortunatley. She is all alone in the hospital right now Thanks for the replies.
It must be very difficult for you. I hope she gets better. I'm sure we all do. It's no fun when parents get older and these things happen.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness