Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 07:01 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times

Advertisements

I saw this elsewhere & wondered if this is so? If so I need to cutback, as I've increased to 2-3 cups/day after not drinking it for yrs.

My recent homocysteine level back in April was about 9. It is higher than I'd like but very fine & normal says doc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I saw this elsewhere & wondered if this is so? If so I need to cutback, as I've increased to 2-3 cups/day after not drinking it for yrs.

My recent homocysteine level back in April was about 9. It is higher than I'd like but very fine & normal says doc.
Yes, coffee can raise homocysteine levels:: Heavy coffee consumption and plasma homocysteine: a randomized controlled trial in healthy volunteers -- Urgert et al. 72 (5): 1107 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

How about black tea: Can black tea influence plasma total homocysteine concentrations? -- Hodgson et al. 77 (4): 907 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and Acute effects of tea on fasting and non-fasting pl... [Br J Nutr. 2007] - PubMed result

The possible culprit: Compounds In Coffee Identified To Raise Homocysteine Concentrations - Brief Article | Nutrition Research Newsletter | Find Articles at BNET

No one knows whether the effects are clinically significant, though.

It is a good idea to eat your green, leafy vegetables and aim for 400 micrograms of folic acid a day: Homocysteine, Folic Acid and Cardiovascular Disease

Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, coffee can raise homocysteine levels:: Heavy coffee consumption and plasma homocysteine: a randomized controlled trial in healthy volunteers -- Urgert et al. 72 (5): 1107 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

How about black tea: Can black tea influence plasma total homocysteine concentrations? -- Hodgson et al. 77 (4): 907 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and Acute effects of tea on fasting and non-fasting pl... [Br J Nutr. 2007] - PubMed result

The possible culprit: Compounds In Coffee Identified To Raise Homocysteine Concentrations - Brief Article | Nutrition Research Newsletter | Find Articles at BNET

No one knows whether the effects are clinically significant, though.

It is a good idea to eat your green, leafy vegetables and aim for 400 micrograms of folic acid a day: Homocysteine, Folic Acid and Cardiovascular Disease
Thanks SQ. Ironically I have a good friend from way back hi sch. days that lives in Atlanta metro (Woodstock, I think). Haven't spoken w/ him in yrs tho. His name is Mike, & wife is Sue (we called her Suzie Q, SQ, etc. growing up). lol

I think of her everytime I see you reply now.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Anyone know how to reduce homocysteine? I had a 9.2 level in March & will retest soon. I see optimal is 6 - 8, so I'm a bit too high for my liking.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Anyone know how to reduce homocysteine? I had a 9.2 level in March & will retest soon. I see optimal is 6 - 8, so I'm a bit too high for my liking.
I've just started looking into that myself, but I'm a bit confused. I get that a good B-vitamin would be good, and to make sure you get B6, B12, and folic acid in it. Then I read something about betaine HCl, but need to find out more about that.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've just started looking into that myself, but I'm a bit confused. I get that a good B-vitamin would be good, and to make sure you get B6, B12, and folic acid in it. Then I read something about betaine HCl, but need to find out more about that.
According to Webmd, I see Betaine itself (NOT w/ HCL) is best, & it lowers homocysteine. I'm not sure if folic acid was "old school" way to lower it, but it seems fallen by wayside to use folic only,so now I don't know.

I've held off on coffee (& still have alot of anxiety that I've had to take atvian again for) but I wanted to see if removing caffeine/coffee helped but it has not.

I looked on Vitacost & they have Betaine Annhydrous (w/out water, I think) thus this may be worth a try.

Also Vitamin C & maybe Melatonin help too. Also good fish or krill oil too.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
According to Webmd, I see Betaine itself (NOT w/ HCL) is best, & it lowers homocysteine. I'm not sure if folic acid was "old school" way to lower it, but it seems fallen by wayside to use folic only,so now I don't know.

I've held off on coffee (& still have alot of anxiety that I've had to take atvian again for) but I wanted to see if removing caffeine/coffee helped but it has not.

I looked on Vitacost & they have Betaine Annhydrous (w/out water, I think) thus this may be worth a try.

Also Vitamin C & maybe Melatonin help too. Also good fish or krill oil too.
The real problem with the markers of inflammation is that no one knows whether getting the marker numbers into the normal range means the inflammation is better, and if the inflammation is not better, changing the numbers may not mean anything as far as cardiovascular risk is concerned.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The real problem with the markers of inflammation is that no one knows whether getting the marker numbers into the normal range means the inflammation is better, and if the inflammation is not better, changing the numbers may not mean anything as far as cardiovascular risk is concerned.
I know. This is very true. It is just that I have "wishful thinking".

But you're right, there is no guarantee that any of these supplements do anything. My cardio doc advised that "I don't need anything other than continue w/ good diet, exercise, etc". He told me, "why would you need things if all your heart tests are fine?".

Good point, but like everyone else we all think we can/could do better somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness