Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,997 times

Advertisements

Hey, I had cateracts at age 2 removed, and I've used contacts ever since, my prescription is like, +13.50 in my left eye and +12.00 in my right eye. I've just been recently found out that i've got "open angled, glaucoma" ? umm, the times I went the pressures varied from 22-28. But he says that my nerves in my eyes are still very good. I wanted to know if I could get Lasik? I wanted to get secondary intraocular lense surgery done but my doctor just ignores it, and tells me to use these drops which I have been doing, but they don't seem to be helping at all, I'm so tired of wearing contacts taking them in and out every day and now my left eye's contact has been bothering me for a while now, and i noticed my pupil is a weird shape both of them are a little weird, but the left eye is really bad, it's like almost touching the colored part of my eye like it's crazy ughh I just dont know if there is a freakin way to make them normal or rounder, it's so fustrating I just want to cry...

any ideas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Laser surgery is only a temporary treatment. There is no cure for glaucoma and chronic (open-angled) glaucoma is progressive, but at a much slower and less painful rate than closed-angled glaucoma.

Drops are a treatment also, and there are other surgical techniques. The problem with laser surgery is that it can only be repeated a few times (one type of laser surgery can only be repeated once) before it can't be used again to treat the eyes. Other treatments can be used repeatedly.

None of them will permanently halt the progression, unfortunately. It'll halt it temporarily or slow it down but it will ultimately continue to get more severe. You should definitely return to your eye doctor, ask for information about ALL the options and discuss with him which options are the most suitable for your particular situation.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
My brother had Lasik done. He was happy with the results, initially, but he now has been diagnosed with glaucoma, and the Lasik doesn't seem to have improved his vision as much as it did 4 years ago.

It's scary to have vision problems. Good luck, but get a second opinion.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
and make sure it's an opthamologist

Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
With your vision issues, Lasik imay not help. And also, you have enough issues with your eyes, Lasik is not appropriate in your case. If you find a doctor who WILL do the surgery, YOU should be very careful...have three or four opinions in your case, to make an appropriate determintation. i don't think that a doctor will touch it though with the glaucoma.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Just to clarify: what I said about laser surgery - is one of the accepted medical treatments for glaucoma. However I don't know if "Lasik" procedure specifically is included in the recommended "laser" surgery. I know Lasik is one type of laser surgery. You'd have to consult with an opthemologist to learn what, exactly, is appropriate for your specific situation.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Make sure to be clear what kind of laser surgery you're talking about when you ask your doctor. Corneal or retinal? There are laser surgeries that mend bursted vessels on the retina, but that's a different type of laser surgery from the kind used to treat refractive errors like your farsightedness.

On another note, if you start to lose your vision and need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. I went totally blind in 2008-2009. I can also link you to a lot of useful resources.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
"Restoring Your Eyesight" (Marsh) & "The Power Behind Your Eyes" (Kaplan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness